Dark Flanker- Su27ub Red 10

Evening all, the latest completion done and dusted- Zvezda's superlative Su27ub. I've always thought the two seat Flanker a fine looking 'plane ever since Heller brought theirs out in the very early 90s. When Zvezda announced theirs  I was very keen to get one  and was even more excited when the decals included Red 10...the only Russian Flanker done in this very smart overall grey. I've occasionally wondered if it isn't dressed to replicate a Strike Eagle for the purposes of DACT, but whatever the reason, the scheme suits the graceful lines of Sukhoi's thoroughbred. Completely OOB, with paints from Tamiya; the overall grey was XF63 if anyone's interested. The engine covers were Mig Ammo and heat staining with Tamiya clear yellow, blue and smoke. Would highly recommend  it; have the Su27SM and Su30SM in the stash!

20211017_174124 20211017_173821

20211017_173920 20211017_175334 20211017_174035 20211017_175557

Edited by Ralph
  • Like 41

15 hours ago, Ralph said:

I've occasionally wondered if it isn't dressed to replicate a Strike Eagle for the purposes of DACT

Nop, this is the shortlived and unpopular "eggplant" grey: 

Lovely build! 

Cheers,

Andre 

5 minutes ago, Ad-4N said:

Super job.  Well done.  Tell me about the decals in the kit?  Good to work with?  

Thanks very much! I personally found them really good to use, although I would look at pictures to double check Zvezdas placement instructions. Hope this helps. 

On 10/18/2021 at 10:25 AM, Hook said:

Nop, this is the shortlived and unpopular "eggplant" grey: 

Lovely build! 

Cheers,

Andre 

Is it tough? I've seen pictures of eggplant grey Su-34s and Su-30s, and it seems to have a blue-purpleish tone, whereas this grey, and also the grey they use for Mi-24 or Ka-52 helicopters, seems to be a proper grey.

The model is very nice though, makes me want to build one myself. 👍

Edited by drake122

2 hours ago, drake122 said:

Is it tough? I've seen pictures of eggplant grey Su-34s and Su-30s, and it seems to have a blue-purpleish tone, whereas this grey, and also the grey they use for Mi-24 or Ka-52 helicopters, seems to be a proper grey.

The model is very nice though, makes me want to build one myself. 👍

Funnily enough, I was going to say much the same thing! Thanks by the way!

While I think on, does anyone have a spare set of Zvezda decals for Red10? I've just noticed that the white serial numbers on the fins are placed too far forward compared to the real thing...another example of where Zvezda's decal placement instructions are awry! The other being that they have the fin red 10s too far back...I caught that but not the white serials! Great!

Edited by Ralph