Supermarine Spitfire Mk.I (early), Airfix 1/72

On 10/19/2021 at 8:04 AM, Serge Tkach said:

Spitfires, especially of early modifications, had problems with oil leakage

You are right but this oil would not have spread oil all over the upper surfaces giving the 'brick pavers' effect. Your build quality and weathering techniques are superb but quite inappropriate on the specific model and time that you have indicated.

Spitfire MkI – 19 Squadron RAF, (1)

If you had titled it "Worn out Spitfire ready for scrapping" it would be different. I would love to see you do a Sunderland, using the same total quantity of weathering materials as you used on that Spitfire - it would look brilliant!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hi.

I'm a little late, like two years late..."But it's never too late if the joy is good", the saying goes.

My opinion is that you have made a perfectly constructed and masterfully painted model. I have read that if dirt is this, then if dirt is that. What if at the end of the day it would be clean and polished (...) There are things that really make you laugh...The thing is, if I have to choose between a piece of plastic painted with a mop or a tiny object that looks like a diminution of a real object by Mr. Potter's magic wand I choose the latter, I choose your model. I'll be starting my MkI soon and I'd glade to get a finish half as fantastic as yours.

Congratulations !!!!

Andrés.

You have made a fantastic looking early Spitfire.  It may have been clean at one time, but your portrayal may be at the end of its run prior to cleaning by the ground crew.  Thanks for sharing.

Agree that the standard of assembly and painting is very high indeed, but I was put off by your black rivets.

Are you proposing that someone in 1938 with a little paintbrush painted every rivet black? 

You are very talented, but you need to restrain youself a bit

/Finn