Jump to content

1/32 F-4D Spook on a Spook


Recommended Posts

Hello all,

I've been working on this one for a while now and i was hoping to get outside and get some photo's on a diorama and in daylight, but the weather hasnt been playing ball. 

So, i thought i'd get some indoor pics done and then update this later.

The build includes Red Fox Studios instrument set and all the weapons are attached with magnets for ease of transportation, paints were from Gunze and oil washed with Abteilung Starship filth for the most part. 

 

dizwXTT.jpeg

 

e29moBd.jpg

 

QLzDBmN.jpg

 

BcLoULL.jpg

 

HvCyuzP.jpg

 

r4gzpma.jpg

 

Mp3ebrF.jpg

 

gnFouLT.jpg

 

XQoZt1k.jpg

 

F6zuzQq.jpg

 

ASmP0x3.jpg

 

All comments welcome 🙂

  • Like 65
  • Thanks 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

That's very nicely done. I like almost everything about it, the unusual scheme, the quality of the build, and the photography too. For my taste you went a little too universal on the dark oil wash, but that's a minor thing. I love the cockpit.

 

In 1/32 a Phantom must have a real physical presence, mm. Your build is certainly tempting me, I can feel my wallet itching.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Man, is your work ever impressive! Wonderfully built and painted model. I'm curious as to what you did to get the engine air intakes to look as good as they do. As I'm sure you know, Tamiya's 1/32 Phantom intakes are notorious for not having a good fit and most folks blank off the intakes with intake covers. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, Bertie Psmith said:

That's very nicely done. I like almost everything about it, the unusual scheme, the quality of the build, and the photography too. For my taste you went a little too universal on the dark oil wash, but that's a minor thing. I love the cockpit.

 

In 1/32 a Phantom must have a real physical presence, mm. Your build is certainly tempting me, I can feel my wallet itching.

 

If you go down the Tamiya route you'll find it a very easy build, the intakes need some surgery to get to look half decent. Tamiya are know for their great kits, but I have no clue as to what they was thinking when they engineered this area of the kit. 

21 minutes ago, SAT69 said:

Man, is your work ever impressive! Wonderfully built and painted model. I'm curious as to what you did to get the engine air intakes to look as good as they do. As I'm sure you know, Tamiya's 1/32 Phantom intakes are notorious for not having a good fit and most folks blank off the intakes with intake covers. 

Thank you for your kind comment and I was waiting for this question to come up, but I didn't think to take pictures of the surgery needed.

If you have the kit, you'll notice that the fuselage has some parts of the inner intake attached to it, these need removing. What I did then was place these inner walls onto the intake and test fit them to see they looked and fit correctly, after checking this it was a case of sanding and filling the intake smooth, painting and then attaching them. Hope that helps. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, David Mooney said:

If you have the kit, you'll notice that the fuselage has some parts of the inner intake attached to it, these need removing. What I did then was place these inner walls onto the intake and test fit them to see they looked and fit correctly, after checking this it was a case of sanding and filling the intake smooth, painting and then attaching them. Hope that helps. 

 

Thanks. That's a little nugget of useful information to file away. It will presumably be the same on all of their F-4 family.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Bertie Psmith said:

 

Thanks. That's a little nugget of useful information to file away. It will presumably be the same on all of their F-4 family.

I believe so, its certainly the same on the C/D and J but is easily fixable if you flow what I did in reference to SAT69's question. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, CJP said:

You've done a great job on your Phantom and using magnets for attaching the weapons is an interesting idea.

CJP

It's quite easy to do in this kit as the pylon mounts are 2.5mm wide and its quite easy to get hold of some 2.5mm cylinder magnets. What it does do is save the pylons getting knocked off in transit. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Hi David - I was very interested in your use of magnets to hold the  underwing stores on so bought some 2mm x 1mm micro magnets from Amazon - I am using them on my 1/32 Revell Hawker Hunter outer pylons so I can have the option of having SNEB rocket pods or 100 gallon fuel tanks - great tip

 

thanks

CJP

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...