Indian Navy Harrier FR51

F7F3p

Hi all after a frustrating search of mr Google i'm still no nearer finding out the last colour scheme  grey overall that the Harrier FRS51 was painted in , i wonder if light Admiralty grey is near as by eye it looks close ,any ideas welcome 

thanks 

Simon

This is something I've been looking into too, often wondered how much that light grey scheme was down to the paintwork bleaching in the sun. There's this thread: https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234942121-current-indian-navy-sea-harrier-scheme-medium-sea-grey-or-what/ which maybe a good starting point, though some of the links are now defunct. 

After flicking through the Flickr album linked in that thread I came across this brilliant shot of a SHAR in flight - some excellent weathering opportunities here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/angad84/10186347365/in/photostream/lightbox/

BTW, that album is also a terrific resource for a wide range of Indian aircraft Mig 29s, Sea Kings, Ka-27s(?), Jaguars, Hawks, Bears etc 

Edited by Bobby No Mac
  • Like 3

I always thought that the colours were similar to 36320/36375, until I started to notice that there’s a strong resemblance with the landing gear struts which are BS381-631 Light Grey. However I’m still not convinced either way if the scheme is a two tone upper/lower or overall one colour. Some photos clearly show a light/dark demarcation, then the next it looks overall one colour 🤷‍♂️ I wonder if it’s a case of a poor paint job and what I’m actually seeing is the old scheme starting to show through after a while.

Light Admiralty Grey is too Blue for it to be that.

Edited by scotthldr
  • Like 2

Airfix model world did a conversion of a kinetic. FRS.1 to FRS.51 a couple of months ago with that scheme. I'll dig out the info in the morning and see what they said for the paint scheme.

Edited by treker_ed
  • Like 1

****Several hours later.......:cool:****

@F7F3p According to the AMW article May 2021, the author discussed the colour with aa member of the Harrier SIG, and they came up with an overall colour of possibly FS36375 Light Compass Ghost Grey being the closest match. They also suggest that there may even be a two tone scheme on these late stage Indian FRS 51's, but was impossible to tell from the photos that he had available. The tan coloured nose cone was mixed from two paints - MRP 244 Tan & MRP 38 white, and stated that it was not a perfect match, but apparently there was a lot of variation between jets, so no need for 100% accuracy on that front.

Hope this info helps.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, scotthldr said:

I always thought that the colours were similar to 36320/36375, until I started to notice that there’s a strong resemblance with the landing gear struts which are BS381-631 Light Grey. However I’m still not convinced either way if the scheme is a two tone upper/lower or overall one colour. Some photos clearly show a light/dark demarcation, then the next it looks overall one colour 🤷‍♂️ I wonder if it’s a case of a poor paint job and what I’m actually seeing is the old scheme starting to show through after a while.

Light Admiralty Grey is too Blue for it to be that.

thanks for your reply , looks like it could be very faded dirty medium sea grey then

Just remembered that I have the SAM publications Harrier modellers datafile publication. 

They state that the FRS51 were painted ghost grey for the later repaint for the Indian Navy. They started out in the EDSG/White scheme same as pre Falklands, then changed to a dark slate grey over white, then overall Ghost Grey scheme.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

In my research, I have come to the conclusion that the overall color of the IN Sea Harriers was Medium Sea Grey.

There were the later birds that were ceremoniously painted in the older, two-tone scheme of Extra Dark Sea Grey and they also carried the earlier, full color (white middle) rounders.

I wish there were more pics of the later IN Sea Harriers, especially with weapons loaded but alas, we only have a few on the net!

SHOULD be building my 72nd, modified Hasegawa Sea Harrier in the later IN scheme soon with a Pavla cockpit, Master pitot tube, and Cut-then-Add decals.

Cheers,

WARDOG 

Edited by WARDOG
Corrections

On 11/4/2021 at 11:00 AM, WARDOG said:

I have come to the conclusion that the overall color of the IN Sea Harriers was Medium Sea Grey

I must admit, I've always been somewhat dubious about the Light Ghost Grey claim - I'd be interested to see how the Harrier SIG came to their conclusion.

To my eye, the Indian Sea Harrier LUSHes always seemed to have a very slight greeny-blue cast, which I don't pick up with Ghost Grey/Gray (mind you, my ageing eyes are hardly scientific instruments, and the SIG guys probably have some primary source material {if you're reading, please share}...).

It also seems to me, that many Indian-developed military colours are based - in some fashion - on the older British-developed standards. It is interesting to note that the Bureau of Indian Standards publication IS: 3537 - 1966 (Reaffirmed 2009 ) lists colours that, in the main, appear to be derived from those contained in BS 636: https://law.resource.org/pub/in/bis/S02/is.3537.1966.pdf and https://archive.org/details/gov.in.is.5.2007/page/n7/mode/2up

is.3537.1966_0003.jp2&id=gov.in.is.3537.

Additionally, IS 5: 2007 also contains an extensive list of colours, most of which appear to be lifted directly from BS 636 (although I don't know which version). The greys in IS 5: 2007 are all 600-series colours: IS 628 (Silver Grey) to IS 635 (Lead) inclusive, IS 671 (Middle Graphite) and IS 692 (Smoke Grey) to IS 698 (Steel Grey) inclusive.

Perhaps there's an Indian Standard of colours, which were used by the Indian Navy - there's a project begging for some dedicated research...

Edited by Blimpyboy

On 11/4/2021 at 11:00 AM, WARDOG said:

I wish there were more pics of the later IN Sea Harriers, especially with weapons loaded

Sea-Harrier-retirement-2.jpg

Sea-Harrier-retirement-1.jpg

Sea-Harrier-retirement-3.jpg

458362-sea-harrierwiki.jpg

28958442_1962081747377258_86473379208327

I've found more, with R550s and rockets but - for now - the computer-machine is playing up, so I'll post 'em tomorrow!

Edited by Blimpyboy
  • Like 1

Thank You very much, BlimpBoy!

I saw a few of these but I havn't seen most of them!  Better start looking for some Derbys!

WARDOG

Edited by WARDOG
Corrections
  • Like 1