1/72nd Hasegawa Mosquito PR.XVI conversion, 87 Sqn RAAF, Australia, 1945.

Hiya Folks,.... just finished this Hasegawa Mosquito as a PR.XVI of 87 Sqn RAAF,..... converted using a set of resin two stage Merlin`s, wing tanks and a Falcon canopy with DK Decals,..... although I did muck the canopy up a bit. The model was brush painted using an old bottle of Polly Scale acrylic PRU Blue.

A massive thank to my mate Lee for sending me a bunch of kits with resin conversion parts which he said he wouldn`t build,..... I do hope that I`ve done you credit mate,..... just a shame I cocked the canopy up! Thanks also to my friend Franta too for sending me a photo of the real aircraft,..... as well as including this option on his superb DK Decals.

Here is the WIP,.... done alongside a pair of the new Airfix kit;

DSCF2433-NEW.jpg

DSCF2434-NEW.jpg

DSCF2441-NEW.jpg

DSCF2442-NEW.jpg

DSCF2443-NEW.jpg

DSCF2444-NEW.jpg

DSCF2445-NEW.jpg

DSCF2446-NEW.jpg

DSCF2447-NEW.jpg

It now joins my PR.40 from the same unit in my `Aussie Mossie' collection!!;

DSCF0120-NEW.jpg

DSCF0112-NEW.jpg

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 43
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, F-32 said:

Very very nice work!

Thanks mate. 

6 hours ago, Meatbox8 said:

Terrific.  Does that colour suit the Mossie or what?!

Thanks mate,..... yeah it sure does,...... but then I think most aeroplanes look nice in PRU Blue!

3 hours ago, Wulfman said:

More marvellous Mossies !

wulfman

Thanks mate,.... glad you like them, cheers.

3 hours ago, djos said:

Great looking mosquito  in this blue overall colour. I like subtle weathering.

Your collection, is superb.

Regards Djordje

Thanks Djordje,..... yeah PRU Blue is a nice colour on most aeroplanes, but especially on the Mossie. Glad you like them mate,... cheers.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Jay Gee said:

Great work Tony, you just need a silver PR41 to add to the collection.

Thanks mate,.... I`ll get there,..... I do like the red white and blue spinners and I have  set of resin two stage Merlin`s,..... so never say never. 

• Like 1

Great work!

:clap2::clap2:

I believe most modelers recommend the Tamiya kit in this scale, so I wonder what your opinion of the Hasegawa kit is/was.

And where would the latest Airfix kit fit in that picture?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ColinChipmunkfan said:

Great modelling-as ever Tony.  Subtle weathering looks good. That colour is very attractive on a Mossie.

Well done!!

Colin

Thanks Colin,...... yeah PRU Blue is great on a Mossie!

12 hours ago, Flight Line Media said:

I love the color scheme. Awesome work, Tony!

Thanks mate,.... glad you like it. 

12 hours ago, kapam said:

Great work!

:clap2::clap2:

I believe most modelers recommend the Tamiya kit in this scale, so I wonder what your opinion of the Hasegawa kit is/was.

And where would the latest Airfix kit fit in that picture?

Thanks mate,..... yeah the Tamiya kit is better,...... but when a mate gives you three Hasegawa kits, you never look a gift horse in the mouth and t is far from being a duffer. Having built all three,.... I would rank the Airfix kit as the best,...... then Tamiya and Hasegawa last. That is just my own opinion mind you,.... and they do offer completely different versions! 

4 hours ago, 112 Squadron said:

I love aircraft in PRU blue finish. 😍 You did a great job Tony! 

Thanks mate,.... yeah me too,.... it is a lovely colour for a model for sure. 

4 hours ago, Mick Clarke said:

Fantastic job Tony

Cheers Mick.

On 17/10/2021 at 14:09, tonyot said:

Hiya Folks,.... just finished this Hasegawa Mosquito as a PR.XVI of 87 Sqn RAAF,..... converted using a set of resin two stage Merlin`s, wing tanks and a Falcon canopy with DK Decals,..... although I did muck the canopy up a bit. The model was brush painted using an old bottle of Polly Scale acrylic PRU Blue.

A massive thank to my mate Lee for sending me a bunch of kits with resin conversion parts which he said he wouldn`t build,..... I do hope that I`ve done you credit mate,..... just a shame I cocked the canopy up! Thanks also to my friend Franta too for sending me a photo of the real aircraft,..... as well as including this option on his superb DK Decals.

Here is the WIP,.... done alongside a pair of the new Airfix kit;

DSCF2433-NEW.jpg

DSCF2434-NEW.jpg

DSCF2441-NEW.jpg

DSCF2442-NEW.jpg

DSCF2443-NEW.jpg

DSCF2444-NEW.jpg

DSCF2445-NEW.jpg

DSCF2446-NEW.jpg

DSCF2447-NEW.jpg

It now joins my PR.40 from the same unit in my `Aussie Mossie' collection!!;

DSCF0120-NEW.jpg

DSCF0112-NEW.jpg

Another super nice Mosquito série

Alain

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Tony they look lovely,  I do love a PRU blue Mossie   Great work and great Trio too.

Chris

Thanks Chris,.... yeah agreed,... I do like a PRU Blue aircraft. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Bertie Psmith said:

Looks good.

How many are there in your collection?

Thanks mate,....... how many?,....... lets just say LOT`S!!! ..... I`ve never counted them but quite a few of them are here on BM. 

19 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Luvvery, luvverly, luvverly, Tony! Those external tanks sure look draggy!

Mike

Cheers Mike,..... yeah they look draggy but not sure if they were too bad,...... they were needed for those long range sorties from Australia to Borneo and back! 

Cheers Tony, beautiful job on that one. Your conversion to 2-stage looks flawless. She looks resplendent in PRU blue !!!

Like you I have have at least six Mossies done and many, many more to do.

The box below is filled with nothing but resin Mosquito conversions for 1/72 scale and 2 for some old Revells in 1/32 scale.

thumbnail_(268).jpeg?width=1920&height=1

Your group build has me thinking about doing a side by side with the new Airfix and the Tamiya. I'm leading a "Twins GB", (anything with 2 engines), over on Hyperscale starting Dec. 1st and first up is definitely the new Airfix Mossie. Can't Wait !!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Allan31 said:

Cheers Tony, beautiful job on that one. Your conversion to 2-stage looks flawless. She looks resplendent in PRU blue !!!

Like you I have have at least six Mossies done and many, many more to do.

The box below is filled with nothing but resin Mosquito conversions for 1/72 scale and 2 for some old Revells in 1/32 scale.

thumbnail_(268).jpeg?width=1920&height=1

Your group build has me thinking about doing a side by side with the new Airfix and the Tamiya. I'm leading a "Twins GB", (anything with 2 engines), over on Hyperscale starting Dec. 1st and first up is definitely the new Airfix Mossie. Can't Wait !!!

Thanks Allan,... and that is a very intriguing looking box there mate! WOW!  Good luck with your Airfix Mossie,...... one thing that I might do with my next one is to sand the frame lines off the rear of the canopy,...... as they are rather big,..... and one of these was in fact inside the glazing on the real thing...... I tried to replicate it on this Aussie Mossie with a length of thin painted  stretched sprue on either side. Atthe moment I am having a nightmare with Mossie canopies! 

Good luck with the GB mate,

Cheers

Tony