Supermarine Scimitar F1 XD243 025/E - Scratchaeronautics 1/48

• 1 year later...
On 17/10/2021 at 03:13, wellsprop said:

Hi all,

Here's a rarer kit, with many thanks to @bootneck for selling it to me at a most agreeable price :)

This was one of the harder builds I've done, as I am not very familiar with building full resin kits; the kit was also a bit of a challenge as it was solid resin, so lining everything up was quite a challenge. On top of that, some of the parts weren't fully formed and there were a fair few air bubbles in a lot of the parts. I drilled and pinned a the components to ensure a strong construction (although this didn't stop me knocking the tail off)!

Despite this, I was happy with the build. I replaced the kit ejection seat with a resin one and CAD modelled and 3D printed the following parts:

• Fuselage spine intake
  • Undercarriage legs
  • Wing fences
  • Cockpit interior
  • Underwing stores (fuel tanks and buddy pod - I still need to put propellers on the buddy pod!)

I also replaced the kits vacform canopy with my own DIY vacform, having CAD modelled and 3D printed the mould.

The decals were a mixture of Xtradecal, Fantasy Printshop and homemade (underwing serials and tail beer mug), painted using Hataka brush acrylics and humbrol white spray.

Overall, I'm very pleased with the result, if a little rough around the edges close up.

1/48 Supermarine Scimitar - Scratchaeronautics

It looks a little wonky tail-on

Love this view!

Thanks for looking!

Ben

Nice built, looks awesome. I am still building the contrail vacumm kit, but lacks of some pieces, were could I get 3d files to print the landing gear or other extra pieces as you did ? 

I hope to finish this 2023 year.

again nice model. Fly Navy !

cheers from central america.

Carlos

13 hours ago, Carlos Guate said:

Nice built, looks awesome. I am still building the contrail vacumm kit, but lacks of some pieces, were could I get 3d files to print the landing gear or other extra pieces as you did? 

Many thanks Carlos! I modelled the extra parts myself :)

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, MD530F said:

What an amazing job you've done there. They really were a fantastically hideous aircraft but one worth replicating in kit form. Well done

Just now, airbus320 said:

I half regret selling mine when I see how good yours has turned out!!! Super job!!!

Chris

DBMK have a Scimitar out soon 😁