Gordon Murray Automotive T.50

Sabrejet

Yesterday's 78th Members Meeting at Goodwood saw the public debut of the Gordon Murray Automotive T.50 Fancar. It's aimed to be 'better than the McLaren F1' and is powered by a Cosworth GMA V12 which revs to 12,100 rpm. The 'fan' bit refers to the aft-mounted fan, which sucks air from a really aggressive diffuser and prevents the airflow from stalling. It sounds incredible.

GMA had prototype XP5 (silver) on-track, plus XP9 (dark blue) in the paddock. It's an exquisite thing.

Also shown was a mockup of the 'Niki Lauda' track car, which I guess would fit nicely into the Le Mans Hypercar race category.

I have to say I do like the pure lines of the T.50 and I'd love to know what sort of track times it would do. 

• Like 7

I like the orange 'racecar'...!!

Very interesting interview on Harry's Garage on Youtube with Mr. Murray explaining his design ethos behind the car. Genious designer...

Keith

1 hour ago, Sabrejet said:

I'd recommend the GMA YouTube programmes: it's been refreshing to see the nuts and bolts of the car and engine as it's come together.

Seconded.... and it's clear that it's impressed the heck out of Dario Franchitti, who knows a thing or two about fast cars. And that's despite only being able to drive the engine development mule flat out, and the prototype T.50 at half revs...

best,

M.

I saw this yesterday too and took some pictures,hope you don't mind me adding them? This really is an impressive new car,out of all the cars at Goodwood I think this grabbed a lot of the attention there. The blurb says that this will be the last analog supercar.

Chris.

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 2

What is the genesis of the Cosworth donk Chris. Is it a repurposed completion engine or just something I've been blissfully unaware of for ages?  I can't see this using an older design but creating a special engine for it sounds mind numbingly expensive. :unsure:

Steve.

• Like 2

Hi Steve,and everyone else- it's a brand new engine commissioned by Gordon Murray.i just looked back in Motor Sport magazine from September which has a Gordon Murray article,it doesn't really mention this car but he reckons that a Tesla battery is still only 15% efficient still. Chris.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1