1/72 - de Havilland DH.95 Flamingo by Valom - released

Homebee

17 minutes ago, gunpowder17 said:

How are Valom kits? I have never built one. Similar to special hobby kits?

Those of us who have built Valom kits before take care to test fit the canopy BEFORE gluing the fuselage halves together. Once bitten and all that, but the choices of subject just has us coming back for more.

• Like 1

I'm just finishing off a Valetta, lovely kit, yes, similar to Special Hobby. The main parts fit well though some of the smaller parts fitment is a bit vague. There's no location pins, so I tend to add plastic tabs to aid the fuselage halves going together. Although slightly more challenging than perhaps an Airfix kit, the parts count is generally lower which suits me. 

@Aeronut, agree on the canopy, in hindsight, a 1mm shim in the upper fuselage behind the canopy would of improved the fitment on mine. 

Loving the releases from them and be getting more of their kits.

• Like 2

Must agree, great choice of subject. Personally I think Vaclav does a great job with these kits and his after-sales is excellent. Fun to build with the usual care needed when dealing with the smaller parts but no real issues above what you'd expect from a short-run kit. Agree with Neil about fitting tabs for alignment and test-fitting parts before assembly. He's certainly catering for the niche market. 

I've got several in the stash, a few on the go and one finished so far.

1-DSC-2587-001.jpg

• Like 8

Ah, de Havilland! Nice choice . Would like to see the dh 86 and 89 Rapide!!!!! But no one has asked for a Avro York yet. Maybe it's one we should hope for too.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 1/31/2022 at 2:25 PM, Paul J said:

Avro York

MicroMir still has it "in the works."  I agree with all comments above about Valom kits!  I've built only the Valetta, and had a good amount of fun with it, despite some travails.  The parts breakdown and assembly sequence on the DH-95 looks like it needs some special care from an experienced modeler--particularly the engines and landing gear.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

On 9/8/2022 at 9:47 AM, TheyJammedKenny! said:

Were either of these Sir Winston Churchill's aircraft?

The R2765,6 and 7 were in VIP 8 seats configuration used by 24Sq, among VIP transported were His Majesty George the VI, W.Churchill as well as Polish Prime Minister on excile and Head Commander Gen. W.Sikorski.

One more personal info from Net was that one of the pilots of   Lady of Hendon was Lt. pil. Józef Tyszko, a Polish pilot.

J-W

Edited by JWM
  • Thanks 1