A couple of Morane upperwings by Heller (in 1/72), France 1940

JWM

Hi,

After some break I finished two old kits by Heller (actually both were Smer re-boxed kits...). They are: 1. fighter Morane Saulnier MS 225 and 2. trainer Morane Saulnier MS 230.

Morane 225 was phased out the fighter role in 1938, however some machines still were used as advanced trainers. Some four years ago I have received from @Jure Miljevic (many thanks again!!!) a photo of MS 225 No 24 (N-523) in wartime camouflage described as taken in 1940. Photo was published in Avions No 78. Model has only small corrections regarding the box - I added the gunsight and corrected the error in elevators, I made some modifications in cowling mount (opened it from rear) and removed spats (as seen on photo).  Decals from drawer. To be frank I think this kit has serious misfits to drawings I have, but I decided not to corrected them, otherwise it will be be a huge scratch project and I am not 100% sure, that drawing I have are better then drawing on which Heller based their model...

The second machine is Morane Saulnier MS 230 No 380 (M-851) served in Ecole auxiliare de pilotage 44 in St. Etienne in May 1940.  Decals also from drawer. I added some inside details and gave the spoked wheels made from PE spokes and rubber o-ring as tire and added air intake below engine. 

In both riging by EZ

Here  is MS 225:

51594926856_1ac16effd3_b.jpg

51594926976_e25766cb82_b.jpg

51594927136_4cd7462990_b.jpg

51595148758_b4c879d378_b.jpg

51595148908_64a330d1cf_b.jpg

51595590714_500ca9bedc_b.jpg

And MS 230: 

51595820205_3d97fbdcb5_b.jpg

51594112252_f957c50493_b.jpg

51595149778_d12e8238a2_b.jpg

Ooops - I the Venturi tube moved the angle... - Need corrections, sorry...

51594112462_4fc9982fe8_b.jpg

51595821310_71a1b789db_b.jpg

51595591899_1a6234ebed_b.jpg

51595591779_866928790a_b.jpg

51595591619_b01da4a6ee_b.jpg

Comments welcome

Regards

Jerzy-Wojtek

• Like 28

15 hours ago, Wulfman said:

Very nice builds on the old Heller’s !

Wulfman

Many thanks! 

It is something a bit strange to build a model which you could also do 50 years ago ( but you did not done it ) and for last 20-25 last years it was waiting  in your stash... :)

Regards

J-W

Hi Jerzy,

these two models are really nice and they scrub up well in camo paint.

I have never seen pictures of these planes painted that way, but it suits them. Period documents are indeed not easy to come by.

Your spoked wheels are impressive!

Congratulations.

JR

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Pyradus said:

Nice ones! I enjoy your painting technique for these quite varied French camouflage schemes. And yes, how nice to clear out some of the stash. 😁

Thank you! :)

4 hours ago, jean said:

Hi Jerzy,

these two models are really nice and they scrub up well in camo paint.

I have never seen pictures of these planes painted that way, but it suits them. Period documents are indeed not easy to come by.

Your spoked wheels are impressive!

Congratulations.

JR

Hi Jean,

Thank you! I was searching for this camo schemes for years, that is why they spent so long in stash... As I mentioned this No 24 (N-523) in war time three colour scheme was seen in photo published in Avions No 78.  The alternate for MS 225 was to paint is in grey/grey French Navy scheme as prototype of MS 226 (with arresting hook and additional fuel tanks) for which I had photos from 1940 in a book ("La Debacle de mai-juin 1940..." Avions Hors Series No 24, page 42. ) Below is photo of this machine found in Net, done  a bit earlier then in 1940 (photos from 1940 in book has different numbers - smaller white BA 25 on a break of white stripe along fuselage, in description it is said "ex-BA-4"):

morane_ms-226.jpg

BTW, in the same book on p. 23 there is another photo from 1940 showing  MS 225 (No 64, N 333) but the quality of it and position of airplane not allow to tell is it camouflaged in three tones or a pre-war green/alu scheme.

With MS 230 it was much easier, there are plenty of schemes available, not only French but also Greek, Belgian (with another engine) or Spanish Republican,  but I chosen that one from aesthetic reasons simply...(wanting to do spoked wheels of course)

This profile I was trying to follow was published here: https://www.avionslegendaires.net/avion-militaire/morane-saulnier-ms-230/

Best regards

J-W

10 minutes ago, JWM said:

Thank you! :)

Hi Jean,

Thank you! I was searching for this camo schemes for years, that is why they spent so long in stash... As I mentioned this No 24 (N-523) in war time three colour scheme was seen in photo published in Avions No 78.  The alternate for MS 225 was to paint is in grey/grey French Navy scheme as prototype of MS 226 (with arresting hook and additional fuel tanks) for which I had photos from 1940 in a book ("La Debacle de mai-juin 1940..." Avions Hors Series No 24, page 42. ) Below is photo of this machine found in Net, done  a bit earlier then in 1940 (photos from 1940 in book has different numbers - smaller white BA 25 on a break of white stripe along fuselage, in description it is said "ex-BA-4"):

morane_ms-226.jpg

BTW, in the same book on p. 23 there is another photo from 1940 showing  MS 225 (No 64, N 333) but the quality of it and position of airplane not allow to tell is it camouflaged in three tones or a pre-war green/alu scheme.

Hi again Jerzy,

yes, usable photos are not legions. The MS 225 in use by the Aeronavale (French Navy) make a nice difference from the ubiquitous pre-war green. They did not get fitted with  an arrester hook. Humbrol 125 would be perfect for them.

Re the additional tanks fitted under the top wing, my memory seems to bring back the words"flotation devices", rather than tanks.

I stand to be corrected, but this is what I kind of remember. They cover part of the large alpha-numeric underwing code.

Whatever, these Morane Saulnier aircraft are really iconic in the French air force history.

You must build more of them!

JR

• Like 1

21 hours ago, jean said:

....They did not get fitted with  an arrester hook. Humbrol 125 would be perfect for them....

Indeed, in description people write like that, however on above  photo from Net as well as in book the hook seems to be on position... 

Thank you for suggestion on Humbrol 125. Is it not a bit too dark?  I 've read somewhere that it should be Humbrol 144 with a dash o white ...

19 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Splendid work - as always  - Jerzy. Lovey to see.

Many thanks!  :)

Regards

J-W

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, JWM said:

Indeed, in description people write like that, however on above  photo from Net as well as in book the hook seems to be on position... 

Thank you for suggestion on Humbrol 125. Is it not a bit too dark?  I 've read somewhere that it should be Humbrol 144 with a dash o white ...

Hi Jerzy,

Humbrol 125 looks good to me. I am not sure what grey is Humbrol 144, really.

At the end of the day, it is what feels right to your own eyes,

Have fun with your next MS 225!

JR

• Like 1

Many thanks for comments! 

On 10/21/2021 at 11:32 AM, Jure Miljevic said:

I especially like scratchbuilt wheels on MS.230.

Those are exactly the PE wheels by Part (https://www.mojehobby.pl/products/WWI-spoked-wheels.html) with rubber o-ring and stretched styrene axies.  It is already sixth I think model in which I used them  (Polikarpov I5, Shavrov Sh2, Romeo Ro-1, Airco DH 9, Potez XXV ToE - maybe I forgotten another one?)

On 10/23/2021 at 2:55 PM, Vesa Jussila said:

Nice work again from classic kit. There is something in these old Heller kits.

That is true, but I think I build already all what I had from Heller in my stash.... Perhaps I have to buy a Constelation for some refreshment! ;) 

Regards

J-W