Create missing anti-radiation lining on turret of T-62

tomatosoup

So i have been wanting to build a T-62M, but since the only aftermarket kit is out of production, I have settled with getting the T-62 BDD from trumpeter and found some anti-radiation lining photo-etch fasteners. I am unsure how I should approach it, I was thinking that spreading and flattening milllitput on a flat surface first and then putting it on the model to cut it into the correct shape, and punch some correct diameter imprints for the fasteners would work, but I am not 100% sure this is the best way, or if there is a better epoxy to use than standard milliput.

spacer.png

here it you can see what it looks like, it should also have a subtle mesh like texture

Welcome! 🙂

I don't know what this lining should look like or what I'm supposed to be looking at in that photo, but if I've understood correctly, you may find something in a fabric shop which would meet your requirements of thinness, flexibility, and texture. Perhaps take a photo of the real thing, explain what you want, and ask for some fabric which can be cut without too much fraying. If needed, treat it in place with a little thinned matte PVA, such as Mod Podge, or perhaps matte varnish.

Edited by Ade H

The anti-neutron material was only 10mm thick, so you don't want anything too thick. 0.25-0.3 mm would do it.  The fasteners must therefore have been slightly proud of the surface.  I'm thinking make paper templates the right shape and cut pieces from lead foil, self-adhesive if you can get it.  This material is very flexible in all directions and can be stretched slightly.  Wrinkles can also be largely rolled out or sanded down with fine wet/dry used wet (NOTE - good respiratory protection!!!).  Lightly press some medium sandpaper onto the surface for a textured effect.