Airfix 1/48 De Havilland Chipmunk.

Morning All,

I finished this one last week for my brother in law. He wanted a chipmunk to remind him of his days in the RAF when based at Manston. The only real slight problem I had was with the canopy even tho its supplied with a jig to build it up. I've added the hydraulic brake cables using some strands from an RJ45 cable and the decals are from xtradecal. I think its turned out OK and my brother in law was over the moon with it so thats what matters. Thanks for taking the time to look. 

20211009_165133

20211009_165201

20211009_165113

20211009_165056

20211009_165035

20211009_165016

20211009_164954

20211009_164854

20211009_164655

Dave.

• Like 47
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, carlstavros said:

Nice Chippy, I’ll be happy if my turns out half as good as this! Can I ask what paints/colours you used? 

Cheers,

Carl.

Cheers Carl, I used Hataka's red line paints on this one. 

46 minutes ago, Lord Riot said:

Oh wow, I think that’s one of the very best Chipmunks I’ve seen built! Absolutely delightful and so well painted. 

Thank you, you are going to make me blush ☺. It's all thanks to the tips and tricks I read from all of the great people on this forum. 

Dave.

A delightful and neat build. I'm so impressed by the quality of these Airfix Chippies that I could be tempted over to the dark side of 1/48th modelling!

Mark

• Thanks 1

Very nice looking Chipmunk indeed. You've made a superb job of her and I can see why your brother-in-law was over the moon.

What make of paints and what colours did you use?

Terry

14 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Very nice looking Chipmunk indeed. You've made a superb job of her and I can see why your brother-in-law was over the moon.

What make of paints and what colours did you use?

Terry

Cheers Terry, The paints used are Hataka's red line. I purchased this set.. https://www.gforcemodels.co.uk/hataka-modern-royal-air-force-paint-set-vol3-acrylic-4375-p.asp . I did have a bit of a job getting them to spray nice and didn't think I'd get the result I got but they do seem to level out quite nicely. 

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, keithjs said:

Nice one, Dave! I can never get tired of seeing Airfix Chippies. I must add those brake lines to mine. I think they’re quite a prominent feature aren’t they?

Thanks Keith, yeah they are, they definitely add to the look of the kit too and very easy to do. I probably would of liked them to be a touch thicker but thats all I had to hand. 

• 2 weeks later...

Looks lovely!  Does anyone know of some enterprising soul with CAD skills and either a resin or 3D printer that is producing a conversion kit for RCAF Chipmunks?  The blown canopy would be the biggest challenge...

• Thanks 1