spacer.png

I did modeling when I was younger and now starting over again. I wanted a model that means something to me and it was this model. Wanted to do this  mustang Big Beautiful Doll as saw this fly at Duxford. 

Edited by Duxford1985
  • Like 4

Done so more this evening and i am  really happy on how the inside undercarriage bay has come out. Used vallejo paints  to paint the undercarriage and a black wash as well. learning so many ideas from britmodeller. This model will be the first model that I will be using a airbrush so watch this space! 

spacer.png

• Like 5

When the child is finally  asleep at last it's time to do  some more sanding and primed with grey. Used tamiya tape and used washing up scourer to cut pieces and  place  and protect the  undercarriage from priming . Still need to more  putty filler but happy with the result of the priming of the mustang. spacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 4

I have been saving my pennies and thought I would make the giant leap for mankind...... but maybe for a modeller that's want to get better. I know practice makes perfect that why I found a harrier jet model in the loft from many years ago before I will try and airbrush the P-51 D. Watch this space!!! spacer.png

Edited by Duxford1985
  • Like 3

Thought I'd poke my nose in and you can start by getting that bl@@dy thing off the table before your new hobby stop before it starts :rofl2:.

Back to your build. The primer will show up your faults, sort them out before going further and like you said, practice on your jet first.

Keep up the good work.

Stuart

• Like 2

I’ve just started out with an airbrush and it’s a steep learning curve, although this forum has been a great help as the advice is easy to assimilate with very little or no ‘my way or the highway’ kind of stuff, just respectful discussion. 👍👍👍👍

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Courageous said:

Thought I'd poke my nose in and you can start by getting that bl@@dy thing off the table before your new hobby stop before it starts :rofl2:.

Back to your build. The primer will show up your faults, sort them out before going further and like you said, practice on your jet first.

Keep up the good work.

Stuart

Thank Stuart yes the compressser is off the table lol just got to find a man cave now. Thanks for all your advice on many subjects on aircraft modeling and tips along the way everytime I see you. 

55 minutes ago, Courageous said:

Keep up the good work.

Stuart

Edited by Duxford1985
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Whistlekiller said:

I’ve just started out with an airbrush and it’s a steep learning curve, although this forum has been a great help as the advice is easy to assimilate with very little or no ‘my way or the highway’ kind of stuff, just respectful discussion. 👍👍👍👍

Thanks for your advice 👍

Great start, it sure looks good. :) Fun getting back into it, is it not? It did as well, a number of years ago. Brush painted a few Airfix 1/72 kits, the rattle canned a few 1/48 kits until I bought an airbrush. It is a great hobby!

Keep up the good work! And remember, apart from here, You Tube is FULL of great build vids and tips.

• Like 1

Colonel Landers P51D big beautiful doll through the fighter groups that he was in during his career. I am trying to find these  full set of decals. I believe they were a limit edition? anybody know where I can get these from.  Colonel Landers was a fighter ace kill tally  36.5) 6 are Japanese (14. 5 were aerial) and the remainder are ground victories. The half kill is for a sharing of a downing of a Messerschmitt Me 262 on the 30 March 1945spacer.pngspacer.png

Edited by Duxford1985
  • Like 1

That's a great start - although I'd like to offer a bit of advice if I may.

Starting with an airbrush is quite a learning curve and will be frustrating at times but stick with it and you'll be very happy. But I would say that BBD, while looking fabulous, is a tough scheme to do. Largely bare metal and that type of finish is very unforgiving. Every blemish and seam will show through much more than on a camouflaged scheme. A lot of preparation of the plastic, choice of primer and choice of metallic paint all play a part. Maybe save a bare metal scheme for a bit later when you have a few builds under your belt and are more comfortable with your new skills? 

Mark

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Mark Harmsworth said:

That's a great start - although I'd like to offer a bit of advice if I may.

Starting with an airbrush is quite a learning curve and will be frustrating at times but stick with it and you'll be very happy. But I would say that BBD, while looking fabulous, is a tough scheme to do. Largely bare metal and that type of finish is very unforgiving. Every blemish and seam will show through much more than on a camouflaged scheme. A lot of preparation of the plastic, choice of primer and choice of metallic paint all play a part. Maybe save a bare metal scheme for a bit later when you have a few builds under your belt and are more comfortable with your new skills? 

Mark

Hi Mark 

Thanks for you advice  as another person had said this abouttje seams and bare metal so I was thinking  the my next build will be the lysander as I have always been facicinated by what I did for the SOE during the war. I believe this would be a better build using a airbrush. 

Adam

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I thought it was time for an update on the build and paint Job!! 😊

Whilst the wife and son is asleep out comes the P51 mustang first time using the airbrush and learnt so much and I'm happy with the result in my heart and mind. My 5 year old so will be over the moon as he wants this in his bedroom on the ceiling and keeps telling when will it be ready. Lol spacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 6

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Its been a little while since i have posted on here got some modeling done because Mr Covid came and said hi. learning lots of modeling techniques through out the build. Made some  small mistakes with decals along the way but this is how you i can improve for my next model. When it come to aircraft wheels i always find this the part i have trouble with. Onwards and upwards to the next step of the build the P51 Mustang. 

.spacer.png

• Like 4

Last day at home before going back to work tomorrow  as covid free 💪. The wife and son was away so took over her office! Had a couple of hours on the bench and completed alot the fuel tanks attached/ front piece of cockpit and some touching up with the paint brush. I know i am getting better every model i do and also get better and learning different techniques. spacer.png

• Like 3