Options for Those Who Don't Have Printers?

John Thompson

I'm expecting to get access to some 3D files by way of a site called Thingiverse. This seems to be strictly a file-sharing service, so my intention, if the cost of farming out the actual printing isn't crazy, is to have someone do it for me. One such site offering this service is called Craftcloud (I know about them only because they have an ad banner on Thingiverse). Has anyone here ever used them? How did they perform? Are there other sites which will do the printing for you?

Thank you in advance for any advice!

John

• 4 months later...

Shapeways is another site. It's an interesting business model as people upload their 3D designs and Shapeways print and sell them, with a royalty going to the designer (who retains all the IPR). They have their main printing bureaux in the US and Netherlands I think.

I have used Go Print 3d in the past, and they were quite good,  but they've become AdditiveX now and I can't see any reference to bureau printing on their website. There are quite a few sites around, and many of them will give you an instant quote once you have uploaded your design and chosen your material.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Very late answer, but you could check out your local library to see if they have printers you can use for free. I know my local one here in Norway has, and also do free courses on 3D printing. 

Not sure if the libraries on the Boulevard Of Broken Dreams has, though.

• 2 months later...

I am willing to print resin parts for fellow modellers UK based, for the cost of P&P and a small contribution towards electricity and resin.  To do so for folk overseas becomes prohibitive due to the cost of postage.  Maybe, you could find a local modelling club, or similar, and someone there would offer you a similar service?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My local hobby shop hosts a large gaming community, like Warhammer, etc. A growing part of that hobby is printing figures for the games. The shop runs four printers, at the moment, and their prices are reasonable. You could check around and see if any of your local shops do the same. 

Ben