How best to tackle tyres?

Bbdave

I'm not sure how to put decals on rubber or vinyl -- are you sure that they are decals rather than wet transfers?

But the weathering is in my wheelhouse. You will want to use water-based pigment mixtures, preferably with a high concentration of binder, which I recently covered elsewhere in:

...and...

Edited by Ade H
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Bbdave said:

I have a couple of vehicle kits one is a tractor I'm currently building they have rubber tyres how do I best treat them ready for decals weathering etc. or can I just do as I would for plastic?

Dave

I have a similar issue with zvezda tank tracks, I can't get the paint to stay on despite using Vallejo primer. 

Paint stays on tamiya tracks ok so it must be the cheap zvezda tracks.

9 hours ago, Ade H said:

I'm not sure how to put decals on rubber or vinyl -- are you sure that they are decals rather than wet transfers?

But the weathering is in my wheelhouse. You will want to use water-based pigment mixtures, preferably with a high concentration of binder, which I recently covered elsewhere in:

...and...

I thought a decal was a transfer.

Dave

No.

As a rule, if a marking is printed in reverse and upside down on its backing paper, that is a transfer and will require either a wet or dry direct application. An example of dry transfer is the type made by Archer; an example of wet transfer is the type made by HGW.

15 minutes ago, Ade H said:

No.

As a rule, if a marking is printed in reverse and upside down on its backing paper, that is a transfer and will require either a wet or dry direct application. An example of dry transfer is the type made by Archer; an example of wet transfer is the type made by HGW.

These are just the standard decals that come with kits that you dunk in water.

Dave

In order to apply sidewall decals to the rubber/vinyl tyres of my 1/43 sports cars, I start with two or three coats of acrylic gloss varnish after the tyre has been mounted on the rim.  With surface now suitably smooth and shiny, I apply the decals as per usual and then use satin (or matt, depending on desired finish) acrylic varnish as a topcoat.  

Trevor