Meng 1/35 T-72B1

GazB

Hi all, back again with another one :P

This time its a Meng 1/35 T-72B1 I got last Christmas and finally completed. Additions include the V-84 engine set (which I'd bought myself and built prior to receiving the kit) and the double pin tracks as the single pin tracks in the kit were proving incredibly troublesome due to insufficient length on the pins. Probably a little anachronistic as a result on this particular vehicle in a late 90s setting, but I left the pads off to make it look a little older. Crew figures are Miniart's 70s-80s Soviet Tank Crew, just painted them up in the later flora scheme. Diorama idea is a Chechnya style setting around '99 (22 years ago and making me feel old 😐). Small issue with the Ultimate primer cracking and flaking in places, which might be a little evident in some shots around the turret 🤔

Anyway, on to the pics :)

t721_by_moab23_desu5my-fullview.jpg?toke

t722_by_moab23_desu5p6-fullview.jpg?toke

t723_by_moab23_desu5ri-fullview.jpg?toke

t724_by_moab23_desu5u7-fullview.jpg?toke

t725_by_moab23_desu5w6-fullview.jpg?toke

t726_by_moab23_desu5y3-fullview.jpg?toke

t727_by_moab23_desu5zl-fullview.jpg?toke

t728_by_moab23_desu63s-fullview.jpg?toke

t7210_by_moab23_desu688-fullview.jpg?tok

t729_by_moab23_desu664-fullview.jpg?toke

t728_by_moab23_desu61g-fullview.jpg?toke

Thanks for looking as always :)

Gaz

• Like 22

That's really nice. It's a complicated build with all that reactive armour. Did you paint the hull and turret before adding those blocks or after?

May I suggest a dullcoat of some kind over the figures as they look very shiny, though that may just be the pics.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Bertie Psmith said:

That's really nice. It's a complicated build with all that reactive armour. Did you paint the hull and turret before adding those blocks or after?

May I suggest a dullcoat of some kind over the figures as they look very shiny, though that may just be the pics.

Thanks, Bertie :)

Painted up the lower hull, wheels, tracks and running gear first, then the upper hull and turret separately once fully assembled (for the most part).

I did throw some matt varnish over the figures, a few layers in fact, but it didn't dull them all the way down for some reason 🤔

Gaz

Hi Gaz. Well you have done an excellent job with that! I really like these tanks with the boxes of reactive armour. I must have a go at one sometime! Very impressive build and presentation. :worthy:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Gaz. Well you have done an excellent job with that! I really like these tanks with the boxes of reactive armour. I must have a go at one sometime! Very impressive build and presentation. :worthy:

Kind regards,

Stix

Thank you very much, Stix ^-^

Aside from the tracks, its a pretty nice and straightforward build. Just takes a little bit of planning ahead for getting everything painted without hassle :)

I did have trouble with the single PE part, as the little tabs wouldn't bend and it ended up shearing. Had to replace it with a custom styrene piece.

Gaz