Triple 1/48 Spitfire V build ( Spit Vb and Vc), updated Dec 21

I'm working on a triple Spitfire build in 1/48, using a new issue Airfix Vb, a Special Hobby Vc, a Classic Airframes Vc (same as the Spec. Hobby) and they will all be Malta birds. The Spec. Hobby fuselages need to be stretched, tail canted down, and the wings moved forward using info and suggestions kindly provided by Troy Smith (thanks again).

I'm using the Airfix Fuselage as a guide, as it matches the drawings I have nicely ...

Special Hobby and new Airfix

Special Hobby and new Airfix 2

it's interesting how many of the available Spit's come up with a different length!

Image2

With the stretch done, my attention turns to the cockpit. The Spec. Hobby kit has a nice cockpit with a few updates needed, The seats are accurate, but the cushion is to long, and needs to be shortened in order to use the nice photo etch Sutton harness provided. The Airfix seat in indistinct and too narrow, so I'll be using an Ultracast seat there.

(Dark grey is Spec. Hobby, seat on left not modified yet, also frames drilled out on all)

seats

The Airfix panel has a compass, which the Spec. Hobby missed, so I had to make my own. I'll replace the Airfix one also as mine will be easier to paint and decal, compass being separate.

compass mount

The other thing I looked at right away was the weird (IMHO) way Airfix attached the landing gear. I cemented the legs together, then drilled a .020" hole down the center, about half way. I cut the leg back apart just above the upper flange and cemented in a .020" brass pin into the lower section. Fit the leg back together, and solidly cemented the trunion into position. Now the gear can be attached solidly later and fine adjustments made if required bending the pin.

gear leg

It's the first time I've tried a triple build, hopefully it won't take 3 times as long!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Remember ahead of time, the Special Hobby Vc cockpit parts absolutely do not fit in between those sidewalls without modification.  I used a Dremel mounted small circular saw to cut grooves in the sidewalls (after they were glued in place) to accept the cockpit assembly and they had to be quite deep to work, so be prepared (I built four of these).  Good luck!

ilj

6 minutes ago, alt-92 said:

Hm. I did not run into that issue, but I did have to trim the sidewalls a bit to get a good fit for the bottom wing half. 

Yes, I had to do that too, but that was a minor modification compared to getting the cockpit part to fit between those sidewalls (issue was identical in three of the Classic Airframes issued Vc 'Yankee spitfires' #4152 and one Special Hobby Vc 48051 'Malta defenders').  Alternately, you could sand off parts of the instrument panel and behind the seat bulkheads, but I chose the groove approach.  It is like these cockpit parts were made by a team working on a different kit, that's how off it was on mine.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, ilj said:

Remember ahead of time, the Special Hobby Vc cockpit parts absolutely do not fit in between those sidewalls without modification.  I used a Dremel mounted small circular saw to cut grooves in the sidewalls (after they were glued in place) to accept the cockpit assembly and they had to be quite deep to work, so be prepared (I built four of these).  Good luck!

ilj

Yes, that was one of the first things was getting the frames and panel to fit, before I started modifying, and the sidewall did have to be trimmed. I put that down to moving the wing forward 2 MM.

• 2 weeks later...

For my build, I needed 3 DeHavilland metal props with the short, blunter spinner.

The Special Hobby "Malta defender" kit had the prop and spinner I needed (and it nicely matched drawings and the prop/spinner in the Eduards kit)

The Classics kit had the Rotol, and the Airfix had a good DeHavilland, but with the longer, pointed spinner.

I robbed another DeHavilland from another Airfix kit, and found a grinding bit for a 3/8th drill that tightly fit the spinners, and turned both Airfix spinners using a new #11 blade (home made lathe!)

spinner 1

after polishing, they all match, and look good.

Use what you have!

spinner 2

Hope you like

Colin

• Like 5

I'm fitting the brass Sutton harness to the two Special Hobby/Classic Airframe seats. Three separate pieces had to be soldered together to make the harness back alone! But in the end, they look good, and will fit well with the Ultracast resin seat (for the Airfix kit)

seats 2

seats

Colin

• Like 2

• Tail-Dragon changed the title to Triple 1/48 Spitfire V build ( Spit Vb and Vc), new photo's Oct 26

Interesting project and will be good to follow, I am going to have to buy another Airfix Mk Vb now so I can use as a guide for the SH kit and my SH Seafire kits too, you can never have too many Spitfires anyway, although SWMBO might not be pleased, some planning for delivery will be needed :wicked:

Great start 

Chris 

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I'm still working on my Spit builds. It's made easier to stay in my modelling room by the arrival of winter!

... added some details to the sidewalls ...

cockpit 1

cockpit 2

... and some paint on the cockpits, seats, and panels ...

cockpit 3

... and Mike Grants instrument decals ...

cockpit 4

Colin

• Like 8

• Tail-Dragon changed the title to Triple 1/48 Spitfire V build ( Spit Vb and Vc), new photo's Nov 16
  • 3 weeks later...

The big Spitfire build continues, airframes are good, now I'm working on the smaller details ...

The Classic/Special Hobbys Vc's

airframe 2

airframe 1

airframe 3

and the Airfix Vb ...

airframe 4 airframe 6

airframe 5

soon I should be starting the 3 different Malta scheme's.  Should be fun!

Colin

• Like 7

• Tail-Dragon changed the title to Triple 1/48 Spitfire V build ( Spit Vb and Vc), new photo's Dec 2
  • 3 weeks later...

... and the Malta build continues ...

All 3 Spits required the small, rectangular mirror, so out comes the soldering iron and scrap brass again ...

mirror 1

mirror 2

... with the airframes complete, I've started the painting with a base of Tamiya Titanium silver (which is my personal choice for aluminum) for the chipping ...

airframe 8

airframe 9

One of the Vc's I'm doing had the cannons fitted in the inboard bay, while the other used the outboard bay, more to come ...

Merry Christmas, all!

Colin

• Like 2

• Tail-Dragon changed the title to Triple 1/48 Spitfire V build ( Spit Vb and Vc), updated Dec 21