ICM 1/48 Messerschmitt Bf 109 F-4

1 hour ago, Bertie Psmith said:

That looks nice. In some of the photos the wheels look very splayed but that's probably just the camera angle. I like the last picture, very atmospheric indeed.

Thanks Bertie.

The undercarriage angles pretty much match my reference drawings. The splayed look was a feature (and a weakness) of the 109.

51592495908_5a0323a9a2_h.jpg

51591472762_8479f2dde7_h.jpg

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, jackroadkill said:

She looks great!  How was the build?  I've got an ICM Friedrich in the stash but after their mk .ix Spitfire left me gibbering I've been avoiding it. 

Thanks.

There were no major issues but I'd heard that the fit of the cowlings was poor if the engine is fitted. (the kit provides a fully detailed engine). If you intend to have the cowlings closed up, I would recommend doing what I did, and leave the engine out, except for the part the propeller mounts to. 

For the price of these kits, I was quite pleased. I'll probably do another, but with the engine fitted and cowlings open.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Dogtail2 said:

Thanks.

There were no major issues but I'd heard that the fit of the cowlings was poor if the engine is fitted. (the kit provides a fully detailed engine). If you intend to have the cowlings closed up, I would recommend doing what I did, and leave the engine out, except for the part the propeller mounts to. 

For the price of these kits, I was quite pleased. I'll probably do another, but with the engine fitted and cowlings open.

Thanks, that's great.  Maybe once the flashbacks have subsided and the DT's have calmed down I'll give it a shot.  I wouldn't bother with the open cowling after the "fun" I had with those on the Spit.

• Like 1