Typhoon Tanking

canberraman

On October 8th  2021, I seized the rare opportunity to witness and enjoy an air to air refuelling mission, courtesy of 101 Sqn, flying in Voyager KC.3 serial ZZ337, using callsign ‘Tartan 59’.

At 0953 local time, the Voyager launched from Runway 25 at RAF Brize Norton, and proceeded in a North Westerly direction towards the Lichfield Corridor. The mission was planned to take in Air Refuelling Area 8 (AARA 😎 off the Lincolnshire coast, followed by a transit to Air Refuelling Area 14 (AARA 14), off the Western Isles of Scotland. Trade was scheduled to be three 11 Sqn Typhoons from RAF Coningsby for the first fuel offload, followed by a pair of 41 Test and Evaluation Sqn Typhoons -also from Coningsby, for the Scottish leg, that were due to undertake live weapons trials over the Cape Wrath firing ranges.

The first receiver was Typhoon FGR.4 callsign ‘Typhoon 19’. This aircraft positioned itself off the port wing before moving over to the starboard side, and at 1044 local began to take on 1700 lbs of fuel. It was followed at 1055 by a further pair of Typhoons - callsigns Razor 11 and 12, that took on 1400 and 1500 lbs of fuel respectively, utilising both port and starboard refuelling pods and hoses on the Voyager. At 1105, Tartan 59 departed its North Sea track, climbed to 28000 ft, and began the transit North Westerly towards next destination, AARA 14, off the Western Isles of Scotland. It became apparent that our aircraft was being trailed by the two 41 Sqn Typhoons (callsigns Apollo 11 and 12) that had departed RAF Coningsby, en-route to their weapons trial work at Cape Wrath. 

At just after 1200 local, the first of the two 41 Sqn Typhoons took up position in the AARA 14 racetrack for its initial refuelling. These two aircraft were conducting trials of the latest ASRAAM air-to-air missile.  After this initial fuel offload, the Typhoons broke away from the tanker and proceeded North-East to the Garvie Island range. At 1320 the pair returned for a second AAR. This was completed by 1340 after which they accelerated away and began their return to Coningsby.
Tartan 59 then commenced a rapid transit back towards Brize and we touched down after >5 hours aloft at 1519 hours. 

On with the show...

img

ZK311 of 11 Sqn arrives for refuelling in AARA 8.

img

img

img

11 Sqn Typhoons callsigns Razor 11/12 formate on the Voyager after refuelling

img

img

A view of the Voyager MSO's work station showing the trailing hose. 

img

img

41 Sqn Typhoons Apollo 11/12 arrive for refuelling in AARA 14.

img

img

img

img

img

Note the live ASRAAM beneath the starboard wing

img

img

img

Back to Brize.

Thanks are extended to both OC 101 Sqn and Flt Lt York and the crew of Tartan 59 for making the trip possible.  

Thank you for looking.C&C always welcome.

Mark

Mark

• Like 21
  • Thanks 7

Wow!! What a fantastic opportunity! Beautiful photos, absolutely stunning. Very jealous!! :thumbsup: 😍

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Britman said:

Smashing pictures, thank you for sharing. Really like the squadron colours!🙃

Keith

Hi Keith

Thanks for the kind comments. Couldn't agree more about the lack of sqn colours on most Typhoons these days. It looks like the Coningsby squadron are particularly lacking markings these days which does not make for interesting photos! We were due to tank 12 Sqn Typhoons initially - which are still wearing full colours - but sadly that element cancelled :(

Mark

• Like 2

Stunning shots and what an amazing opportunity.

If anything the plain colours make this a more historically interesting shoot, there are probably lots more shots of the colourful special schemes, but fewer of these routine operations.

• Like 1

Had a similar trip many years ago whilst out on Detachment with 6 Sqn Jaguars. The difference was mine was with the Yanks on a KC135 we tanked F111, EF111 and F16's all were live armed due to the location we were over.  

• Like 2

Thanks everyone for the brilliant comments and likes.  It was a great day and I'm glad I could share some of the highlights with the BM members and viewers.

Mark

• Like 1

Very useful imagery for weathering and such like. Also on some aircraft , shadows of squadron bars either side of the roundels. That refueling station must be the envy of those ex Victor and Vicky 10 guys. Thanks again Mark.

Keith

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Britman said:

Very useful imagery for weathering and such like. Also on some aircraft , shadows of squadron bars either side of the roundels. That refueling station must be the envy of those ex Victor and Vicky 10 guys. Thanks again Mark.

Keith

Thanks Keith. You are absolutely right - some of the squadron's former VC10 mates can't believe the leap forward in capability. Mind you, the VC10 had class and elegance!

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Alpha Delta 210 said:

Absolutely awesome shots, Mark. To say that I'm envious would be an understatement!

Thanks very much for sharing.

Thanks Leigh. But you've been in a Dragon Rapide AND a Hurricane :)

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Lord Riot said:

These are outstanding photos, what an amazing opportunity you had. 

I wish the Typhoons had squadron markings!

Many thanks for the kind words. I too so wish that sqn colours would return to the Typhoon fleet,and get added to the F-35s!

Mark

Looks like you had a really enjoyable day and those photographs are well taken. A shame for you that the machines are all so similar, so bland in their uniform greys with virtually no distinguishing marks. Sigh.  (I am intrigued that Britman could see signs of squadron bar marks; my eyesight must be getting worse than I thought! )

It is really disappointing that the modern RAF seems to have lost all interest in unit identities on their aircraft.  Presumably most servicing is done at station level now, so maybe that makes squadron markings pointless. If so, why not emphasise stations, as some countries do.  I thought much of Squadron identity effort was done for morale boosting. Is not that required any more? 

John B

• Like 1

9 hours ago, John B (Sc) said:

Looks like you had a really enjoyable day and those photographs are well taken. A shame for you that the machines are all so similar, so bland in their uniform greys with virtually no distinguishing marks. Sigh.  (I am intrigued that Britman could see signs of squadron bar marks; my eyesight must be getting worse than I thought! )

It is really disappointing that the modern RAF seems to have lost all interest in unit identities on their aircraft.  Presumably most servicing is done at station level now, so maybe that makes squadron markings pointless. If so, why not emphasise stations, as some countries do.  I thought much of Squadron identity effort was done for morale boosting. Is not that required any more? 

John B

Thanks John and all for the positive comments.  I hope that the current trend away from squadron markings is a temporary blip but I fear it may not be.  Clearly the Typhoons have become increasingly unmarked in recent years  due in part to their regular deployment on Op Shader and other real world deployments where naturally, the RAF is keen to maintain anonymity and improve security.  However, there are evidently other factors at play. The RAF F-35Bs with their radar absorbent finishes do not lend themselves to the application of decals or painted squadron markings beyond the Lightning flashes currently worn. Also, most MOD painting and finishing is done under contract these days and so anything that is discretionary such as squadron markings or special anniversary schemes comes at extra cost to the taxpayer. And with a number of aircraft operated by, but not owned by the RAF, e.g Voyager and some of the Ascent training types, then the contracts of utilisation do not appear to allow for the use of squadron or other non standard markings.

The trouble is this is also starting to happen with some other Air Forces. I saw recently that the Commander of the USAF's Air Mobility Command has banned the use of Wing tail flashes on the new KC-46 aircraft, apparently to reduce maintenance turn arounds and to ease the  transfer of aircraft between units.  Sad sign of the times I reckon. 

Mark

1 hour ago, Seamus said:

A superb set of shots Mark, the sort of opportunity I can only dream of! Great stuff 👏

Thanks Shaun, high praise indeed :)

Mark

• Like 1