Acrylic spray clearcoat recommendations

81-er

As the title suggests, I'm after a better clearcoat. I've currently got a can of Humbrol acrylic varnish, which is useless. It's giving me an almost matt finish that's slightly hazy, rather than the gloss I'm after. Must be safe for use over acrylics and must be in an aerosol as I don't have an airbrush. Otherwise, I'm completely open to ideas.

1. make sure your spaying area is very warm

2. warm the spray can in a jug of very hot water, not boiling hot but nearly so

3. give the can a really vigorous and long shake to make sure its really mixed

4. Spray the first coat on lightly - a mist coat, allow this coat to 'flash' off

5. spray the next coats a bit heavier, allowing each coat to 'flash' off before spraying the next coat

As well as Humbrol sprays I also use a generic automotive clear gloss lacquer which is acrylic.

Even with that I do the 5 points above

• Thanks 1

If it's a gloss coat for decaling then Klear/Pledge is the goto solution (sorry); either brushed on or can be lightly thinned with water or acrylic thinner and sprayed. As ever practice on something that doesn't matter first.

PS

It can also be mixed to a satin finish with an acrylic matt varnish such as Xtracrylix.

Halfords also do a clear gloss acrylic spray in their automotive range, and a satin lacquer. For matt, I use Citadel munitorium from Games Workshop

Klear/Pledge or Lakeland Quickshine are brushable alternatives. Self levelling and leave no marks.

50 minutes ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

Halfords also do a clear gloss acrylic spray in their automotive range, and a satin lacquer. For matt, I use Citadel munitorium from Games Workshop

Klear/Pledge or Lakeland Quickshine are brushable alternatives. Self levelling and leave no marks.

Watch out using Halfords Clear Lacquer as it reacts to certain paints. I tried it over Xtracrylix and it made a horrible mess of the paint. I would test it first on what ever paint brand you're using. 

1 minute ago, Stephen said:

Watch out using Halfords Clear Lacquer as it reacts to certain paints. I tried it over Xtracrylix and it made a horrible mess of the paint. I would test it first on what ever paint brand you're using. 

Thanks. I have a can, but not used it yet. I'm no fan of Xtracrylics. Paint of last resort.