Desert Island Kits anyone?

ColinChipmunkfan

In 1942 BBC Radio started a half hour programme where celebrity guests were asked what 8 discs (records) would they take with them if they were to be stranded on a desert Island, and excerpts of each would be played.  It was assumed guests had all the means of survival.  The programme was, and still is a huge success.  I still remember listening to Douglas Bader in 1981 and his choice of disks which included Frank Crummit singing The King of Borneo, - still available on Google.

Britmodellers if you could take any 8 kits to build on a desert island what would you choose?

My selection would be :-

Airfix Chipmunk 1/48

Tiger Moth 1/48

Victor 1/72

Valiant 1/72

Vulcan 1/72

Wingnut Wings RE8 1/32

Italeri Hawk 1/72

Revell Tornado 1/72

Colin

• Like 3

Ok Colin Im game for this one, my top eight kits would be.

1. Wing nut wings Albatros D.V/Va

2. 1/32 Tamiya F4U Corsair (any)

3. 1/32 Tamiya Spitfire Mk.VIII

4. 1/32 Tamiya F-4J Phantom

5. 1/48 Revellogram B-58 Hustler

6. 1/32 HKM Lancaster

7. 1/24 Airfix cardoor Typhoon 

8. 1/24 Kinetic P-47 “bubbletop”

I figure the larger scale stuff because I could actually store it after it was built. Also because I can spend about a year at a time doing one kit snd going to town detailing it. Oh and just a nod to the original question. 

1. Pink Floyd “Dark side of the Moon”

2. Pink Floyd “Wish you were here”

3. Pink Floyd “Animals”

4. Pink Floyd “The Wall”

5. Pink Floyd “The Final cut”

6. Frank Sinatra’s “Live at the Sands”
7. Dean Martin greatest hits

8. Bruce Springsteen “Live 75-85”

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 3

Listing only kits I currently have:

1. Tamiya 1/32 Spitfire VIII, with all the aftermarket;

2. Wingnut Wings 1/32 Sopwith Snipe, later version;

3. Heller 1/400 HMS Illustrious, with tons of aftermarket;

4. AMT 1/72 XB-70 Valkyrie;

5. Monogram 1/72 B-36

6. Airfix 1/72 Concorde

7. Italeri 1/35 Vosper MTB, w/AM

8. Revell 1/144 Airbus A380 in QANTAS markings

• Like 3

For me it would be:

1. Airfix Lysander for happy memories- Bought for me by my grandmother when a kid so made a special effort. Actually painted it.
  2. Airfix Gazelle for more happy memories - My first helicopter. The skids collapsed so simply took them off. You can do that when you are a kid.
  3. Airfix Army Lynx- yet more happy memories
  4. Airfix 1/24 Hurricane to go to town on
  5. Italeri 1/48 Hercules to do a better job on than last time
  6. Matchbox Siskin- love it
  7. Airfix Skyvan - as have been meaning to make the one in my stash since....err...oohh... a long time ago
  8. Monogram 1/48 Harvard/Texan - just because
  • Like 4

Hi Dennis, my selection was based on aeroplanes I had some connection with and/or were big enough to keep me busy until a ship arrived.  The Albatros  was on my short list bit it is hard cutting it down to 8. I'm with you with Bruce and Frank as musical choices

Hi Paul, that's a wide variety of modelling interests there, I didn't even think of ships at the time, that lot would keep you going for years.

Hi Pinback, Some great choices, especially the Hercules, All my  Airfix Gazelles were tail sitters.

• Like 1

Nice idea Colin.

I think I'd have eight Matchbox 1/72 Flower Class corvettes. Which I'd use as the basis for a raft and eventual escape!

Apologies - not exactly in the spirit of it, I know. 😀

• Haha 4

On 10/16/2021 at 12:16 PM, ColinChipmunkfan said:

All my  Airfix Gazelles were tail sitters

My first ones were tail sitters too but it can be done! Honest

Just need to add weight under the floor and rear bulkhead

:)spacer.png

PB

I'm only gonna list two, cos it's late at night and I need some beddy-bys...

Trumpeter 1/32 Su-27 (with ALL its many problems). 

Trumpeter 1/32 A-10 Warthog (yes, I know it's not accurate, but it's very probably the only big 'Hog we'll ever have). 

Then, once I'm washed up on the beach, clutching these two kits for dear life, I realise I have no glue, paints or any other accessories to build them with... oh, the irony!

Cheers. 

Chris.  

Edited by spruecutter96
Correcting a typo.

4 hours ago, spruecutter96 said:

I'm only gonna list two, cos it's late at night and I need some beddy-bys...

Trumpeter 1/32 Su-27 (with ALL its many problems). 

Trumpeter 1/32 A-10 Warthog (yes, I know it's not accurate, but it's very probably the only big 'Hog we'll ever have). 

Then, once I'm washed up on the beach, clutching these two kits for dear life, I realise I have no glue, paints or any other accessories to build them with... oh, the irony!

Cheers. 

Chris.  

Desert Island discs was quite generous, All modelling supplies would be washed ashore quite safe and secure.

Colin

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ColinChipmunkfan said:

Desert Island discs was quite generous, All modelling supplies would be washed ashore quite safe and secure.

Colin

True.  It's never stated but presumably the desert island has a gramophone, record player or deck to play the discs?  And some manner of powering such, although in the early days a clockwork gramophone would have done the job!

• Like 1

I'm up for this.

1. Airfix Beagle Bassett (To me, a timeless design and a graceful little aeroplane that still looks good today.

2. Heller 1/72 De Havilland DH 89 Dragon Rapide (One of the most elegant aircraft of a bygone era.)

3. Revell 1/28 Sopwith Camel (The first big kit I built with my Dad when I was a kid. He had been a marine engineer, who seemed to have no interest in aviation and knew absolutely nothing about aeroplanes, but who's knowledge of WW1 colour schemes came back to haunt me and proved to be spot on in my later years when I took a real interest in such things.

4. Aeroclub 1/72 Avro Anson C19 (It's just such a lovely little kit produced by the great John Adams, who has done so much for this hobby over the years.

5. Aeroclub 1/72 Vickers Varsity (Originally one of my bucket list kits, which when I did eventually obtain one, did not disappoint.)

6. Revell 1/72 Handley Halifax B.Mk III (Just an elegant aeroplane that looked right)

7. Tamiya 1/32 Supermarine Spitfire Mk XVI (My favourite mark of the Spitfire and which caused a heated debate between my Dad and I. He had taken me to my first ever airshow at RAF Acklington, around 1964/5/6ish. This was one of the first aircraft we saw  after he parked his old Hillman. He pointed out that it was a Spitfire, but never having seen one with a low back and bubble canopy, I argued all day that it wasn't.

8. Border Models 1/32 Lancaster (It looks as though going to this desert island is the only way I'm ever going to built one of these kits..........Unless someone would like to do a straight swap for an Airfix 1/72 Avro 504!!!! I'm game!

• Like 3

10 hours ago, cngaero said:

I'm up for this.

1. Airfix Beagle Bassett (To me, a timeless design and a graceful little aeroplane that still looks good today.

2. Heller 1/72 De Havilland DH 89 Dragon Rapide (One of the most elegant aircraft of a bygone era.)

3. Revell 1/28 Sopwith Camel (The first big kit I built with my Dad when I was a kid. He had been a marine engineer, who seemed to have no interest in aviation and knew absolutely nothing about aeroplanes, but who's knowledge of WW1 colour schemes came back to haunt me and proved to be spot on in my later years when I took a real interest in such things.

4. Aeroclub 1/72 Avro Anson C19 (It's just such a lovely little kit produced by the great John Adams, who has done so much for this hobby over the years.

5. Aeroclub 1/72 Vickers Varsity (Originally one of my bucket list kits, which when I did eventually obtain one, did not disappoint.)

6. Revell 1/72 Handley Halifax B.Mk III (Just an elegant aeroplane that looked right)

7. Tamiya 1/32 Supermarine Spitfire Mk XVI (My favourite mark of the Spitfire and which caused a heated debate between my Dad and I. He had taken me to my first ever airshow at RAF Acklington, around 1964/5/6ish. This was one of the first aircraft we saw  after he parked his old Hillman. He pointed out that it was a Spitfire, but never having seen one with a low back and bubble canopy, I argued all day that it wasn't.

8. Border Models 1/32 Lancaster (It looks as though going to this desert island is the only way I'm ever going to built one of these kits..........Unless someone would like to do a straight swap for an Airfix 1/72 Avro 504!!!! I'm game!

Some excellent choices Chris, many of which could easily have made my list.  I have built several Aeroclub models but never did get an Aeroclub Varsity- much to my regret.  I agree with you  John Adams is one of the greats of modelling- so sad when he decided to finish,

Colin.

• Like 1

On 10/23/2021 at 4:03 AM, ColinChipmunkfan said:

Colin

Damn! I might actually have to build the blooming things, now!

Chris.  

What a great idea.

My selection would be:

1 - Zvezda 1/350 HMS Dreadnought and Pontos photo-etch

2 - Airfix 1/48 EE Lightning F1a

3 - Rareplanes 1/72 Gotha GIV vacform

4 - Roden 1/72 Gotha GIII

5 - Wingnut Wings 1/32 RE-8

6 - MikroMir 1/144 Handley Page Hastings

7 - Combrig 1/700 HMS Monmouth (1903)

8 - Airfix 'OO' scale Biggin Hill Locomotive

Sadly, it looks like I would be in for the long haul and am not going to be rescued for quite some time...

Cheers, Ray

I'd have to go for a mix of aircraft and race cars:

1. 1/32 Wingnut Wings RE.8 (wish I'd bought two)

2. 1/72 SBS Model Loire 210 (IMHO the best aircraft kit of all time)

3. 1/43 SMTS Aston Martin AMR-1 (I've made a number and each time find a better way to make a nicer model)

4. 1/24 Model Factory Hiro Porsche 917K or 917/30 (obvs)

5. 1/12 Model Factory Hiro Alfa Romeo P2

6. 1/32 Lukgraph Dragon Rapide 

7. 1/32 HPH SB2C Helldiver

8. 1/48 HPH B-52H (I could hopefully escape on board it once it's finished)

Some of these for the joy of it; others to keep me busy for a loooong time :)

This is a fun subject and some great choices so far. It's also a tough one to contemplate as eight kits isn't actually that many if the stash is wildly out of control like mine seems to be.

1: Trumpeter 1/24 Junkers Ju 87A Stuka. Looks lovely in the box, and only Trumpeter would have brought us an Anton in 1/24 in all it's flared trouser spatted U/C glory. One to build for sure!

2: HK 1/48 Boeing B-17G Flying Fortress. Bought instead when I realised just how stupidly big the 1/32 version I picked up actually was. Ten tons of Eduard also bought to add to this puppy.

3: Tamiya 1/32 Supermarine Spitfire Mk XVIe. Picked up to build a rendition of my beloved TD248 that I helped out on back in the 90s. Gorgeous kit. Perhaps almost too gorgeous to even touch!

4: Silver Wings 1/32 Hawker Demon. Absolutely beautiful resin kit of an absolutely beautiful aeroplane. Nuff said.

5: Matchbox 1/72 AW Siskin. Probably the first bi-plane I built as a kid. Love this model and thanks to Matchbox, 10 year old me discovered what an AW Siskin actually was. Fond memories.

6: Airfix 1/72 Piper Cherokee Arrow. Bought by 13 year old me in 1982. Usually only bought things with guns, bombs and naughty things attached. Yet this little kit captivated me. It still does.

7: Heller 1/72 Arado Ar 196A. First ever Heller kit I bought in 1983. Great fit, crisp and finely executed details. Heller was a game changer for 14 year old me. I still love Heller kits.

And the non flying thingy curve ball;

8: Italeri 1/24 Ford Transit Mk 2. I love Transits, and wanted the Esci kit for years. £200 on eBay? Not on your Nelly! Thank you Italeri! I now have six to build with shed loads of Motobitz trans-kits. Bliss!

Steve

On 10/23/2021 at 9:13 AM, cngaero said:

I'm up for this.

Some great choices there and the Aeroclub Varsity and Anson C19 were two I wanted to include myself. Both waiting patiently in the stash for me to build and very nice looking kits. The Revell Halifax III is another I keep meaning to pick up if only to use the "Vicky the Vicious Virgin" decals that I have kicking around.

• Like 1

Well I've pondered a similar question, but with movies instead, so here's my 8:

Trumpeter 1/200 HMS Nelson with the MK1 update kit

Hong Kong Models 1/32 B-25H Mitchell

Hasegawa 1/32 P-40E

Hasegawa 1/32 P-47D

Tamiya 1/32 F4U-1A Corsair

Tamiya 1/32 Spitfire Mk.8

Trumpeter 1/32 F-8E Crusader (with Fisher Models F-8C conversion kit and Zotz decals)

Trumpeter 1/32 A-4E Skyhawk (with Zotz A-4C conversion kit & decals)

That should keep me busy for a weekend or two! :winkgrin:

Cheers :bye:

Hans J

2 hours ago, fightersweep said:

The Revell Halifax III is another I keep meaning to pick up if only to use the "Vicky the Vicious Virgin" decals that I have kicking around.

I've got those markings on an old Almark sheet, if  my memory serves me right. I've wanted a decent Halifax B.Mk III, mainly because I find it a very elegant looking aircraft, but I've got a real soft spot for the "Oscar" markings which are one of the kit's options.

• Like 1

On 10/15/2021 at 8:57 AM, ColinChipmunkfan said:

In 1942 BBC Radio started a half hour programme where celebrity guests were asked what 8 discs (records) would they take with them if they were to be stranded on a desert Island, and excerpts of each would be played.  It was assumed guests had all the means of survival.  The programme was, and still is a huge success.  I still remember listening to Douglas Bader in 1981 and his choice of disks which included Frank Crummit singing The King of Borneo, - still available on Google.

Britmodellers if you could take any 8 kits to build on a desert island what would you choose?

My selection would be :-

Airfix Chipmunk 1/48

Tiger Moth 1/48

Victor 1/72

Valiant 1/72

Vulcan 1/72

Wingnut Wings RE8 1/32

Italeri Hawk 1/72

Revell Tornado 1/72

Colin

An interesting aside as a long time listener of what is a great programme,, and one of those life full circle things, Guy Gibson appeared on the show early 1944, in which the theme music was written by Eric Coates, who later went on to write the famous Dambusters March and title music for the film.

12 hours ago, Ray S said:

What a great idea.

My selection would be:

1 - Zvezda 1/350 HMS Dreadnought and Pontos photo-etch

2 - Airfix 1/48 EE Lightning F1a

3 - Rareplanes 1/72 Gotha GIV vacform

4 - Roden 1/72 Gotha GIII

5 - Wingnut Wings 1/32 RE-8

6 - MikroMir 1/144 Handley Page Hastings

7 - Combrig 1/700 HMS Monmouth (1903)

8 - Airfix 'OO' scale Biggin Hill Locomotive

Sadly, it looks like I would be in for the long haul and am not going to be rescued for quite some time...

Cheers, Ray

Hi Ray  some great choices.  The Dreadnought should see you through many months of isolation - much to my regret I never did buy the WNW RE8.  I do have a 1/72 Hastings vac  I havn't opened yet.

• Like 1

Sorry folks - it'd be wooden boat kits. Caldercraft's Agamemnon would be top of the list. When I was in Turkey on detachment for 4 months, working about an hour a day on LOX, I built one smaller kit and got well into another. That's been rescued from the shelf of doom and is approaching completion ( or is that the shelf of 'laid up in ordinary' )

Top shot in my 'room' on det.  Modelling tools were whatever you could get in one sandwich box and fit in the side pouch on a Bergen ( not a lot ! ) The hull of the lower model was WIP

spacer.png

rhMUPp4.jpg

• Like 1