Special Hobby 1/32 Tempest Mk.V Hi-Tech small update 25/06/2022

Hey everyone

With my 1/48 Tempest build coming to an end and my Harrier coming along nicely, I’ve decided that to keep my interest (in the Harrier) from waining I’ll build another Tempest Mk.V as the one from Eduard has really wetted my appetite for this rugged but rather handsome airplane.

This one will be the 1/32 Hi-Tech offering from Special Hobby.

51586164894_d86b1644eb_b.jpg

As I seem to have more money than sense I’ll be adding some after market in the way of…

CMK resin accessories

And..

51585773138_418d41730e_b.jpg

And..

51584718167_d6b2f2c96a_b.jpg

And..

51586206989_88e774528e_b.jpg

And..

51585773103_a7cfc5bdc0_c.jpg

And for some reason..

51585773123_09448ee901_b.jpg

Plus all the resin and etch that you get in the standard kit.

As ever I’ll be creating and spraying all codes and markings (not sure which yet), hopefully once completed I should have a fine replica of the real thing.

Cheers all

Iain

• Like 12

• (ex)Sgtrafman changed the title to Special Hobby 1/32 Tempest Mk.V Hi-Tech (Up coming build)
3 hours ago, Sturmovik said:

Are those resin landing gear struts? Hopefully you'll have a plan to avoid them from bending after some time.

Hiya

According to the Special Hobby web site the legs are some how strengthened so I assume that they should be man enough for the job? 

2 hours ago, Flight Line Media said:

Nice project, Lain! Best of luck! :)

Thanks buddy

Iain

Great project Iain!

I had the same in mind but was put off by the 97 euro tag Special Hobby asks for their resin engine.
So I reverted to the 1/48 Eduard version with Brassin and CMK add-ons.

75666-C02-CF74-4-E2-B-9532-2-E91-C1-C5-C

Will be following your build with much interest.

Cheers,

Quang

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, quangster said:

Great project Iain!

I had the same in mind but was put off by the 97 euro tag Special Hobby asks for their resin engine.
So I reverted to the 1/48 Eduard version with Brassin and CMK add-ons.

75666-C02-CF74-4-E2-B-9532-2-E91-C1-C5-C

Will be following your build with much interest.

Cheers,

Quang

Hiya

yeah I know it is very steep price wise, I’ve nearly finished my eduard Tempest with the resin motor etc - nice little kit and yours is looking rather splendid too 👍

15 hours ago, Sturmovik said:

Are those resin landing gear struts? Hopefully you'll have a plan to avoid them from bending after some time.

I've never seen resin landing gear bend over time: is this the last old wives' tale in modelling?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Great project Iain,  looking forward to this with all those additions. 

Chris

Hey Chris

Thanks buddy, it will be a very slow burner as I have some other builds that need my attention but I am looking forward to it.

13 hours ago, Sabrejet said:

I've never seen resin landing gear bend over time: is this the last old wives' tale in modelling?

Ha I don’t know about that - once all the resin is added it will as much as a small car though (and be worth just as much)

1 hour ago, Biggles87 said:

Shouldn’t there be a kitchen sink  in there somewhere?

Looking forward to this.

John

Hi John

The kitchen sink is on order from EBay (other retail outlets are available) and should look ace once cleaned up and installed? 
Cheers gents, this will be a slow build but it should be fun and working with resin ( if treated with respect) is quite enjoyable.

Iain

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Dunny said:

Iain,

Looking forward to this after seeing the beautiful work on the 1:48 version - I'm in!

Cheers,

Roger

Hey Dunny

Thanks mate, the two kits are very similar as are the resin bits n bobs, so it should be fun. I’ve got to be honest I am looking forward to starting it.

Iain

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Alan P said:

Sounds like a brilliant project, will be very interested in this 👍

Hey Alan

I watched your build of the Revell flavoured version and I gotta say it turned out brilliantly, this should be fun (as long as you don’t mind hacking away at a perfectly good kit 😱).

2 hours ago, RichieW said:

Looking forward to this, 'rugged and handsome' are very much words to describe the Tempest. It's going to look amazing with all the added details.

Richie

Hi Richie

Thanks buddy, I hope it will look amazing but we will have to wait and see?

cheers

Iain

• Like 2

Hey everyone

We made a trip to the Cornwall Aviation Heritage centre this morning as the weather here has been rather pleasant and I wanted to take lots of reference pictures of their Harrier GR3 and VC10 (which I did) on the way home we stopped at the Smugglers Den in Cubert and had a spot of lunch, lovely.

Now I had no intention of starting the Special Hobby Tempest but what can I say…..this was going to be an up coming build but I just couldn’t help myself, the Harrier has been put to one side, the Eduard 1/48 Tempest is STILL waiting to be finished (which it will) and I’ve started hacking away at this by removing the front cover for the oil tank (I think that’s what it is) and I’ve also removed all the bits from their resin plugs for the oil and fuel tank (nice and easy) and I’ve made a start on the cockpit (quite fiddly). The only pictures I’ve taken however are of the removal of the from of the fuselage…

51600938490_726526a3b4_b.jpg

Obviously tI he shaded bit is to be removed…

51600262218_68bae7de02_b.jpg

..that was surprisingly awkward

51600263378_b5b3c8538f_b.jpg

and as per the instructions I’ve thinned down the edges (on both sides) in readiness for the resin bulk heads. 

So that is that.

Cheers all and have a great week

Iain

• Like 3

• (ex)Sgtrafman changed the title to Special Hobby 1/32 Tempest Mk.V Hi-Tech Started!
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone

Not much time for modelling this week but I have managed to get the cockpit to a stage where I can think about getting some paint down. No real problems combining the resin and plastic

just the usual clean up and prep work. Rather than use the HGW seat belts that are provided with the kit (which I have never had much luck with) I'll instead use a set of

RB productions Sutton QS/QL/QP harnesses..

P1040485

OK some over all pictures of the cockpit OOB, however I have added some buckles from the RB productions harness to the seat just to make things easier later on..

P1040492

P1040491

P1040490

P1040489

P1040487

And just a quick shot of the cockpit walls, I still need to add the etch flare racks, but I have filled the ejector pin marks with Mr Surfacer 500 and sanded them back..

P1040493

The only other after market that I will be using for the cockpit are airscale WW2 RAF Instrument Dial Decals (AS32RAF, as I feel they add a real something to the cockpit.

Well that's me for now

Cheers all

Iain

• Like 9

• (ex)Sgtrafman changed the title to Special Hobby 1/32 Tempest Mk.V Hi-Tech small update 30/10/21

Nice project, loads of goodies, I'm a big fan of the Typhoon/Tempest so I will follow along with interest, the RB seatbelts are fiddley but superb, I've got some stashed somewhere.

Cheers

Dennis

• Like 1

On 10/30/2021 at 11:26 AM, spitfire said:

Nice project, loads of goodies, I'm a big fan of the Typhoon/Tempest so I will follow along with interest, the RB seatbelts are fiddley but superb, I've got some stashed somewhere.

Cheers

Dennis

Hey Dennis

The RB belts are lovely, I’ve used them several times in the past and had great results, it’s a real shame that they have stopped trading. 

23 hours ago, RichieW said:

Good start, those parts look beautifully molded. 

Richie

Hey Richie

The stuff from CMK is really very nice and easy to work with, I’ve made a start removing the engine frame and bearers and I’ve not encountered any problems so far 👍 

20 hours ago, Alan P said:

This brings back happy memories! Looking very good already.

Hi Alan

Thanks mate, I followed your build and it turned out very nicely 👍

17 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Nice start Iain the cockpit looks wonderful and suitably busy.  Looking forward to seeing this build up.

Chris

Hi Chris 

Thanks buddy.

cheers everyone and see you soon.

Iain

• Like 1

Hey everyone

I've been working on my Tempest over the past few days and I gotta say some the resin castings from CMK aren't the best with lots of flash, pin holes and mis-molds and considering

the price of the set its not really acceptable, anyway here are a few pictures of where I am as of now..

P1040499

P1040498

P1040497

P1040496

P1040495

P1040502

P1040501

P1040500

Obviously nothing is glued yet (well the engine frame is attached to the bulk head) and I have lots still to do to get it to a stage that I can start painting.

Anyway have a great week and see you soon

Iain

• Like 10

• (ex)Sgtrafman changed the title to Special Hobby 1/32 Tempest Mk.V Hi-Tech small update 07/11/21

Hey everyone

I hope you are all keeping well?

Just to prove that I am still doing a little modelling here are my latest pictures of the CMK Napier Sabre..

P1040513

P1040503

P1040504

P1040505

P1040507

P1040508

Its probably about 75% complete and it weights as much as a small family hatchback!

My plan is to complete the motor before painting and then add it nearer the end of the build as it fits very nicely into the engine bearer.

Anyway thats all I have.

Cheers all

Iain

• Like 7

• (ex)Sgtrafman changed the title to Special Hobby 1/32 Tempest Mk.V Hi-Tech small update 14/11/21
2 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Looks great Iain. What a shame about the quality of the CMK castings,  they are usually very good, still you have done well as I it all looks good from here. 

Great work 

Chris

Hey Chris

Thanks for the kind words mate, the resin on the whole is actually very good but it’s the odd piece here and there where the flash has been excessive and a pain to try and remove, the worst place is underneath the radiator where the pour gate was huge and it has left an ugly scar, I’ll take some pictures next time I’m in my hobby room.

Anyway cheers buddy

Iain

• Like 1