New Airfix Vulcan B2 "rivet counted"

Finally posting this on RFI, as I explained at the end of my WIP thread the build was cut a little short so there's no Blue Steel yet, but that kind of makes sense since it's in a configuration suitable for a parked up Vulcan.

I made a number of corrections and adjustments to the kit as I built it, all of which is recorded in my WIP thread. This is everything from basics like missing details from the landing gear to getting the various blisters under the wing right for this airframe in 1966. 

Overall I'm quite happy with this, there are parts I could have done better but it all looks just about right. In hindsight I'd have gone for a different airframe, this one had an unusual green tail cap instead of black and i think that it would be nice to have that on this model.

I won't bother writing up my opinions on this kit in full here, you can read them in the WIP, but in short it's a very good model in terms of shape and options, but the details are disappointing as many are missing or slightly wrong (presumably due to an over-reliance on LIDAR scans when museum examples aren't perfect representations of service aircraft). And of course they did the wrong variant, I'd like a B1 but that's down to personal taste 😂

IMG_20210906_171557~2

IMG_20210906_171315205_HDR~2

IMG_20210906_171658~2

IMG_20210906_171733

IMG_20210906_174029668_HDR~2

Of course I had to take some pictures with a Valiant and a Victor

IMG_20210906_173657808_HDR~2

IMG_20210906_173955054_HDR~2

IMG_20210906_173454277_HDR~2

The real XM594 is of course one of the nineteen surviving Vulcans, on outdoors display at Newark Air Museum

IMG_20200728_130321874_HDR

IMG_20200728_110358912

A few WIP photos:

51289103561_90be7dec65_b.jpg

IMG_20210807_161924

IMG_20210817_184219

IMG_20210817_205702

IMG_20210822_100712

• Like 65
  • Thanks 2

I really  like that. You did a great job on it. 

My favourite photo is the low level one nose to nose with the other V bombers. The glass table looks like a rain soaked ramp and  the red brick is somewhat reminiscent of a classic RAF airfield  hangar. 

I've never built a V bomber but only today I  took a long look at the Airfix Valiant in the LMS.

Maybe I'll look again tomorrow?

Edited by noelh
  • Like 1

That's a very impressive V-bomber collection you have there. The Victor is actually my favorite of the three but there's nothing to complain about as far as you Vulcan is concerned. It's superb!

• Like 1

Superb build.....well done! I shall be studying your WIP closely. I've sat in the cockpit of that Vulcan at Newark and had a long 1-2-1 conversation with a retired Vulcan pilot.....an experience I'll never forget!!

Another top notch build, what else can we expect from the resident Vulcan expert? You made me go from "meh, V bombers are okay" to reading about them in my free time. Thanks a lot!

• Like 1

She´s a massive bird..! Even for 1/72..! Sadly never seen one in real life - or have I? I was at Duxford, is there one? (I remember the Concorde prototype and then the US hangar.😚)

Really nice painting job, very well done sir!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Paramedic said:

She´s a massive bird..! Even for 1/72..! Sadly never seen one in real life - or have I? I was at Duxford, is there one? (I remember the Concorde prototype and then the US hangar.😚)

Really nice painting job, very well done sir!

Duxford has the remarkably well preserved XJ824 sitting in the main hangar near Concorde. It's the 24th Vulcan B2 built and penultimate one from the 25 originally ordered as B1s but changed to B2s. Unfortunately they rarely have the cockpit open and then want to charge far too much for a cockpit tour (go to Newark out Coventry or somewhere for that). 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jeff G said:

Another top notch build, what else can we expect from the resident Vulcan expert? You made me go from "meh, V bombers are okay" to reading about them in my free time. Thanks a lot!

Haha glad I've inspired someone to give the Vulcan a closer look. Be careful or you might end up like me, eternally counting rivets and tiny blisters

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SAT69 said:

That's a very impressive V-bomber collection you have there. The Victor is actually my favorite of the three but there's nothing to complain about as far as you Vulcan is concerned. It's superb!

Thanks! Good news for you is the Airfix Victor is, in my opinion, easily the best of the Airfix V Bomber kits. So far I've built three of them and I bought a fourth which will probably be done in camouflage but not just yet. It's quite a versatile kit, you can do most B2Rs, SR2s and K2s from the basic kit, with a little effort you can make a B.Mk.2 from the final batch (these had B2R wings so no need to butcher the leading edges)

f6ebf9fd3e974ccc7da266e713d5f62e.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Lord Riot said:

That is seriously good. Outstanding finish and weathering. 

Will definitely be using your WIP thread too when I get round to building mine.

Thank you :)

Can't wait to see your build, any questions you need answering about vulcans feel free to send a message and I'll do my best to answer it

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Adam Poultney said:

Duxford has the remarkably well preserved XJ824 sitting in the main hangar near Concorde. It's the 24th Vulcan B2 built and penultimate one from the 25 originally ordered as B1s but changed to B2s. Unfortunately they rarely have the cockpit open and then want to charge far too much for a cockpit tour (go to Newark out Coventry or somewhere for that). 

That´s.. Embarrassing. :) But I went through ina  hurry and was more into WW2 stuff then.. ;) Need to go back..

1 minute ago, Paramedic said:

That´s.. Embarrassing. :) But I went through ina  hurry and was more into WW2 stuff then.. ;) Need to go back..

161100baeabf3d99e670ee20a085ded5.jpg

I also need to go back, I have very few good photos from Duxford. I just started Aerospace Engineering at Nottingham uni and as you might expect on an aero course, there's lots of people who like aircraft. I've got a car, so I can go off to places like this easily enough. Duxford is quite a drive, but it's doable, and I've got some vague plans with someone from my course to visit (she's every bit as much as aviation geek as me, it's great to be surrounded by like-minded people for once). We also drive past XM594 (the Vulcan at Newark which this kit is based on) most weeks when we're going to RAF Cranwell for gliding, I think the backup plan if weather is not suitable for gliding is just go there

• Like 2

10 hours ago, noelh said:

I really  like that. You did a great job on it. 

My favourite photo is the low level one nose to nose with the other V bombers. The glass table looks like a rain soaked ramp and  the red brick is somewhat reminiscent of a classic RAF airfield  hangar. 

I've never built a V bomber but only today I  took a long look at the Airfix Valiant in the LMS.

Maybe I'll look again tomorrow?

Thanks, the same photo is one of my favourites also. I just need a 1/72 hangar to put in the background now!

The Valiant is definitely worth it, it's not quite as good as the other two Airfix Vs because it's the first of the modern toolings, but it is still an impressive model. 

If you are in need of inspiration, I'd take a look at this fantastic build by

@general melchett

Edited by Adam Poultney
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Adam Poultney said:

161100baeabf3d99e670ee20a085ded5.jpg

I also need to go back, I have very few good photos from Duxford. I just started Aerospace Engineering at Nottingham uni and as you might expect on an aero course, there's lots of people who like aircraft. I've got a car, so I can go off to places like this easily enough. Duxford is quite a drive, but it's doable, and I've got some vague plans with someone from my course to visit (she's every bit as much as aviation geek as me, it's great to be surrounded by like-minded people for once). We also drive past XM594 (the Vulcan at Newark which this kit is based on) most weeks when we're going to RAF Cranwell for gliding, I think the backup plan if weather is not suitable for gliding is just go there

Oh nice, please share if you go there! I DO rememebr the TSR-2 actually! ^^

And while you pass Newark, say hi to the AJSH 37 and give her a few lumps of sugar from me.. ;)

And congrats to the education, sounds fun! If you like maths.. ;)

• Like 1

Adam, you are a V-Bomber “savant”.  The Vulcan completes your outstanding collection which only gets better with each addition you make.  This is a great posting packed with information complimented with wonderful pictures.  :goodjob:

Mike

• Like 1

On 15/10/2021 at 12:03, Paramedic said:

Oh nice, please share if you go there! I DO rememebr the TSR-2 actually! ^^

And while you pass Newark, say hi to the AJSH 37 and give her a few lumps of sugar from me.. ;)

And congrats to the education, sounds fun! If you like maths.. ;)

Might actually be visiting Newark today, looks like gliding at Cranwell is about to be rained off. Cloud base is 1000ft as well which we can't fly in

efe96620fb3c68aacafe798cbe67a685.jpg

On 15/10/2021 at 19:05, mcdonnell said:

Hello,Adam - A beautiful result and model of the Vulcan.The Valiant and Victor are also superb models.A trio to be very proud of.Great work indeed.👏😊👍

Thank you! 

• Like 2

On 15/10/2021 at 13:16, Sky Keg said:

Adam, you are a V-Bomber “savant”.  The Vulcan completes your outstanding collection which only gets better with each addition you make.  This is a great posting packed with information complimented with wonderful pictures.  :goodjob:

Mike

Complete? I have over 100 to go yet 😂

• Haha 1