1/48 - Grumman F4F Wildcat/Martlet family by Eduard - F4F-3/F-4 & FM-2 released - new F4F-4 boxing in April 2024

Homebee

Looks like the bankruptcy courts will be busy at the end of the year full of modellers.

Dick

Yes I will be there  

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Given that one of the schemes they are offering on this first release is a yellow wing version I think I need to pick one up.  Love those yellow wing planes!  

• Like 1

According to the Eduard July Info, the August releases will be available at the same  time as the US Nationals which start 20th July so only just under 3 weeks!,

Edited by Stephen

3 minutes ago, Stephen said:

According to the Eduard July Info, the August releases will be available at the same  time as the US Nationals which start 22nd July so only 3 weeks!,

We're hoping to have a sample before that, so watch this space :)

Looks great but what is with the raised lines on the prop tips, surely that's not there on the real thing? I thought painting guide lines were a thing of the past?

291562630_5852084371473128_2183264814777

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Tbolt said:

Looks great but what is with the raised lines on the prop tips, surely that's not there on the real thing? I thought painting guide lines were a thing of the past?

That is truly weird!

• Like 1

On 7/2/2022 at 10:23 PM, Tbolt said:

Better raised line than a recessed trench to fill in.

:drunk:

A quick swipe of a sanding stick . . . but they shouldn't be on a New Tool kit anymore.

:banghead:

• Like 1

Source: https://www.facebook.com/EduardCompany/posts/pfbid0yCgWssDp88gMtHxDwPHSjH1TQzNsP88Lf9dVVotWUUtC5jnPq81RfuVW1um9zyail

Wildcat versions that can be built from the 1/48 Eduard F4F-3 kit. The August ProfiPACK realease will include markings for USN and USMC machines.

292518424-5883245955023636-3147668008158

294064463-5907316112616620-3803114900170

294416545-5913687021979529-6044091234990

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Released - ref. 82201 - Grumman F4F-3 Wildcat - ProfiPack

https://www.eduard.com/eduard/f4f-3-wildcat-1-48.html?lang=1

ProfiPACK edition kit of US carrier based fighter F4F-3 Wildcat in 1/48 scale.

Kit presents aircraft from United States Navy and Marine Corps.

• plastic parts: Eduard
  • marking options: 6
  • decals: Eduard
  • PE parts: pre-painted
  • painting mask: yes
  • resin parts: no

82201-3d-krabice-bpzd.png

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 1

• Homebee changed the title to 1/48 - Grumman F4F Wildcat family by Eduard - F4F-3 released

Gonna be an expensive few months…….

I am currently working on Eduard’s 1/48 A6M2 and very impressed with how far they have come since their P-39 and F6F series, the last aircraft they produced I had an interest in and purchased.  The surface details is exquisite only shorted by the fact some will be lost in seam clean up, especially the raised weld seams and rivets in the drop tank.   I know they have been improving since then and released by all accounts top tier models but I have not purchased any of those since I had no interest.  But if the F4F-3 is at the same level as the A6M2, my bench will soon look like the Grumman factory circa late 1941.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, BuNo02100 said:

Gonna be an expensive few months…….

I am currently working on Eduard’s 1/48 A6M2 and very impressed with how far they have come since their P-39 and F6F series, the last aircraft they produced I had an interest in and purchased.  The surface details is exquisite only shorted by the fact some will be lost in seam clean up, especially the raised weld seams and rivets in the drop tank.   I know they have been improving since then and released by all accounts top tier models but I have not purchased any of those since I had no interest.  But if the F4F-3 is at the same level as the A6M2, my bench will soon look like the Grumman factory circa late 1941.

Go check out Eduards recent P-51 kits...  they are fantastic!

9 hours ago, Homebee said:

Released - ref. 82201 - Grumman F4F-3 Wildcat - ProfiPack

https://www.eduard.com/eduard/f4f-3-wildcat-1-48.html?lang=1

I picked up one from the Eduard's booth at the IPMS Nationals in Omaha.  If the demand at the show is any indication this will sell very nicely for Eduard as they were selling briskly.  And looking in the box they are everything you would expect plus.  A beautiful kit with numerous options to get the version you are building correct.  Bravo Eduard!!

• Like 5

On 7/24/2022 at 6:15 PM, BuNo02100 said:

The surface details is exquisite only shorted by the fact some will be lost in seam clean up, especially the raised weld seams and rivets in the drop tank.

I found that less sanding and more scraping tends to preserve those details better.

• Like 1

Chaps, you’ll have excuse my ignorance on this one but are there all of the parts in this boxing to make a Royal Navy Wildcat? Although I’m sure in time Eduard will release a dedicated boxing for these. 

Thanks

James 

1 hour ago, franky boy said:

Chaps, you’ll have excuse my ignorance on this one but are there all of the parts in this boxing to make a Royal Navy Wildcat? Although I’m sure in time Eduard will release a dedicated boxing for these. 

Thanks

James 

This is a bit of a rabbit hole and more learned people will no doubt turn up soon to give you a much better answer, but I suspect not quite. Best bet is, I suspect, an early Mk III/ F4F-3A, which went via Greece and I believe ended up as shore based aircraft. Other early martlets either had modified cowls or indeed a completely different engine.

http://www.clubhyper.com/reference/wildcatfaaba_1.htm

EDIT:

ahh it even just outright says it here!

On 12/07/2022 at 20:34, Homebee said:

292518424-5883245955023636-3147668008158

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ngantek said:

This is a bit of a rabbit hole and more learned people will no doubt turn up soon to give you a much better answer, but I suspect not quite. Best bet is, I suspect, an early Mk III/ F4F-3A, which went via Greece and I believe ended up as shore based aircraft. Other early martlets either had modified cowls or indeed a completely different engine.

It’s pretty clear that Eduard will cover all the Pratt&Whitney powered versions of the Wildcat and the sprue shots seem to show the taller FM-2 type rudder indicating that type, which was powered by the Wright Cyclone, is also in the cards. The earlier Wright Cyclone powered variants, which all went to export customers (mainly the Royal Navy) will require a new fuselage, cowling and other parts that are quite different from those used by the FM-2. It’s not obvious to me from the sprues we’ve seen that Eduard is doing the early Cyclone powered aircraft (i.e. Martlet I/G-36 and Martlet/Wildcat IV). There were obviously a lot fewer of these than the PW powered aircraft with about 70 Martlet Is delivered and 200 or so Wildcat IVs. In contrast, the RN took delivery of around 350 Wildcat VI (FM-2) aircraft.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• Homebee changed the title to 1/48 - Grumman F4F Wildcat family by Eduard - F4F-3 released - new F4F-3/-4 boxing in October 2022
  • 2 weeks later...

Ciao, I just bought the ProfiPACK box and also 2 Overtrees, so I can use most of the decals.
I admit I'm not a Wildcat expert, so it's really hard for me to understand how the six versions provided match Eduard's presentation.
Actually, the first version "F4F3 Early" I think may correspond to the first version supplied in the box, the one with the yellow wings.
But distinguishing the other five is much more complicated.
I assume, but I could be wrong, that the latest version "F4F-3A / Martlet Mk.III", could be the second variant proposed in the box, the all gray one with red crosses.
Mine is only a hypothesis, since it is the only version that uses the pieces N24 and N33, but unfortunately, even if you can hardly read, in the decal "20", it is written F4F-3.
Too bad, because this could be a Martlet.
Can anyone help me to clarify.

5 hours ago, MarcoVanBasten said:

Ciao, I just bought the ProfiPACK box and also 2 Overtrees, so I can use most of the decals.
I admit I'm not a Wildcat expert, so it's really hard for me to understand how the six versions provided match Eduard's presentation.
Actually, the first version "F4F3 Early" I think may correspond to the first version supplied in the box, the one with the yellow wings.
But distinguishing the other five is much more complicated.
I assume, but I could be wrong, that the latest version "F4F-3A / Martlet Mk.III", could be the second variant proposed in the box, the all gray one with red crosses.
Mine is only a hypothesis, since it is the only version that uses the pieces N24 and N33, but unfortunately, even if you can hardly read, in the decal "20", it is written F4F-3.
Too bad, because this could be a Martlet.
Can anyone help me to clarify.

Early 1 serie : A
Early 2 serie :  B
Mid : None
Late : C, D et F
F4F3A : E