Sea Hurricane 1b

fatalbert

Hi all,i have two Airfix 1/72 Hurricanes that i am fiddling around with,one is the 1970's mk1,accurate in shape but basic in detail,the other is the more modern 11c that is a nice moulding but has its problems.The 11c one i have is from a twin boxing that came with a Swordfish and includes the hook to make it a Sea Hurricane.My question is.....

a, would adding the hook to the early Airfix Hurricane make it a Sea hurricane 1b

and

b, is the Pavla DH hurricane prop the correct one for a sea hurricane 1b.

Thanks for lookimg

Neil

Yes to the prop. I think the only other addition needed to produce a Sea Hurricane Ib from an accurate metal-winged Mk I kit would be the catapult spools either side of the radiator (see this build article, albeit this model is a Mk IIC with a different prop) and the catapult pick up points on the fuselage above the arrester hook, seen here in Tony O'Toole's 1/24 build.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, fatalbert said:

Oh,just a thought,could i use one of the prop/spinner options from the new Airfix Vc Spitfire?

No. Nosering is too big.   

The prop you need for a Sea Hurricane IB is the De Havilland Hurricane type,  which is the one in the Airfix fabric wing kit, recent boxing's have the early parts tree,  with 2 blade prop, so they are out there in spares land.  I don't have the Pavla to comment.

HTH

13 minutes ago, Troy Smith said:

No. Nosering is too big.   

The prop you need for a Sea Hurricane IB is the De Havilland Hurricane type,  which is the one in the Airfix fabric wing kit, recent boxing's have the early parts tree,  with 2 blade prop, so they are out there in spares land.  I don't have the Pavla to comment.

HTH

Many thanks sir,am sure i have one of those in the stash,i will seek it out.

Can't add anything more to what others have already mentioned but I'd like to say that I love your idea since this was my first "conversion" many years ago, starting from the same Airfix kit and adding hook and spools from brass and plastic rod, with some rudimentary addition in the cockpit, brush-painted with Molak enamels (an Italian brand very popular in the '70s and '80s) and with decals cobbled together from the spares box (I remember the Royal Navy titling coming from an Airfix Swordfish...

There are times when I feel I should try the same conversion again today, starting from the same kit but with the benefit of an additional 20+ years in the hobby...

Edited: actually it's 30+ years in the hobby... built that in the mid '80s and it's now... no, I don't want to think about it...

Edited by Giorgio N
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

Great minds obviously think alike Giorgio 🙂if i could get my head around posting pictures i would post my progress.I also have  some Seafires on the go,a 1b,11c and a mk 111.

One cant go wrong with the fleet air arm.

• Like 2