The new Airfix 1:72 Wellington Mk. II

Good afternoon everyone!

OK after the new Mosquito build, and a nice 1:48 Airfix Hurricane, I am back to Bomber Command with this lovely kit. I have the advantage of having built the base Mk. I A/C kit last year, which I really enjoyed, and this one I think will be similarly satisfying.

The kit is mostly the Mk. I A/C kit (unsurprisingly) but features a new sprue for the Merlins, and has a modified set of tail planes; I think that was the only real difference from the radial powered planes, but I am sure someone will patiently correct me if I am wrong. I am not sure. The only thing I think is missing is any sort of bomb sight in the bomb aimers position; I'll check in the Haynes manual to see what's what, plus I am off to RAF Duxford on Sunday so may be able to see a real Wimpy there. Any pics or hints gratefully accepted here of course! EDIT: What was I thinking of? RAF Cosford has one of the two surviving Wimpies!!! Thank you Mr Beard!

This is a kit which has a cracking level of interior detail, and although Airfix helpfully colour code the instructions to tell you which bits you can omit as they won't be easily seen once the fuselage is buttoned up, I went for the full fat build because... well because I could. It's all out of the box, and I haven't gone mad with dry brushing or shading as it'll mostly not be seen once I button the fuselage up. Apologies if the colour balance is a bit off, it was just quick pics with the phone:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by Simon Nonymous
I am a clot.
  • Like 28

4 hours ago, Beard said:

I'm glad to hear you got your museums mixed up because the alternative is my losing my memory.

I have an odd feeling both of us could recite Withnail and I word for word, even if not drink for drink. The memory is fine!

Soup? Why haven't I got any soup?

Edited by Simon Nonymous
  • Haha 2

Excellent job so far Simon,...... I converted the old MPM kit into a Mk.II years ago s a Malta based Wimpey,...... I`ll b getting one of these too,..... might do a desert based aircraft this time? Looking forward to seeing yours come along,

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

12 hours ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

Watching this build with interest!  Do I understand correctly that the Airfix Wellington II contains only some parts for the Mk.I, whereas the MPM kit of the Mk.II contains parts needed for both?

I have no knowledge of the MPM kit but the Airfix Mk II gives you parts for the Mk II only, there are no radial engines or alternate tail fins for a Mk I.  

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

Watching this build with interest!  Do I understand correctly that the Airfix Wellington II contains only some parts for the Mk.I, whereas the MPM kit of the Mk.II contains parts needed for both?

Haveing had a look at the instructions for the Revell Mk.II which is a reboxing of the MPM kit I can say the following, The Revell/MPM kit has a different parts layout to the Airfix kit. Airfix have made parts specific for different versions as seperate sprues as possible. When I got my Mk.1a/1c kit I could tell that a Mk.II was going to follow and maybe a Mk.IV as the engines were seperate. The Revell/MPM kit does not seperate the parts for different versions as clearly as Airfix have so you will find parts for different versions mixed up so you have to study the instructions carefully so you don't get parts mixed up.

Gondor

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/15/2021 at 2:07 PM, Gondor44 said:

Haveing had a look at the instructions for the Revell Mk.II which is a reboxing of the MPM kit I can say the following, The Revell/MPM kit has a different parts layout to the Airfix kit. Airfix have made parts specific for different versions as seperate sprues as possible. When I got my Mk.1a/1c kit I could tell that a Mk.II was going to follow and maybe a Mk.IV as the engines were seperate. The Revell/MPM kit does not seperate the parts for different versions as clearly as Airfix have so you will find parts for different versions mixed up so you have to study the instructions carefully so you don't get parts mixed up.

Gondor

The other give away that the Mk.II was coming from Airfix was that when showed the first CAD shots of the mk.I they accidentally showed a shot of the mk.II also!

While on the subject of Wellingtons, here is a neat film clip of a Mk 1c, I think, being turned around; very interesting period footage and details. I hope many of you will find it of interest.

Mike

https://youtu.be/NScptsa5zJA

Here's a short video of  a Wellington in display at the Brooklands Museum, where the Wimpy was built. It was N2980, and was ditched in Loch Ness in 1940 and discovered in 1980. Great views of the geodetic structure.

https://youtu.be/JjqOek5ubxI

@Simon Nonymous,

That being said, I am following this build with great interest, as I have the new-tool Airfix kit as well as a resin conversion set for the MPM or new-tool Airfix Mk 1c. I have always considered the Mk II and XIV as the most handsome of the breed.

spacer.png

Just a quick phone snap of progress. The Merlins are now on. The props/spinners can wait till the main painting is done and dusted, but the fit of the power eggs is pretty good. A small smear of filler will be needed just close some hairline gaps between the bulkhead and the engine itself, but all in all, it all fits together nicely. The tail planes are the other Mk. II difference, and again, went together like Lego. Nice one Airfix!

Edited by Simon Nonymous
  • Like 8

23 minutes ago, dogsbody said:

So, no photos of the engine assembly?

Too bad.

Chris

Apols I didn't think that someone would want that level of detail; I can post a pic from the instructions if needed, but it's a very simple, typical assembly.

spacer.png

Sorry about the thumb in the pic, but the kit at this point could mount either the radials or the Merlins onto the nacelle assembly. The Merlin assembly is two halves vertically split, with three pieces inside to form the front radiator, the rear radiator flap, and the air intakes/radiator exit .

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Simon Nonymous said:

Apols I didn't think that someone would want that level of detail; I can post a pic from the instructions if needed, but it's a very simple, typical assembly.

No worries! I was just curious, as I haven't seen any shots of the sprues or the instructions yet. 

I have both of the Pegasus-powered kits.

Chris

• 4 weeks later...

Holy Crap on a Cracker!

I just checked Hannants, to see if they had this kit yet. They had one left, so I thought I'd get it.

That is until I saw the price and the shipping! Total cost would be $ 95.00 and change! 

That is way, way too much for a 1/72 twin-engined bomber. I don't think I payed that much for both of my other two Airfix Wellys.

Chris