AIRFIX 2022 rumours/thoughts/chat thread...

TEXANTOMCAT

Interestingly all of the kits listed above at the Works are kits that are issued as more than one variant, maybe in some cases Airfix (or other model suppliers) should only issue one boxing at a time of a particular subject ( I don’t know if all of the above were available in different versions at the same time) 

What I mean is that if someone fancies a kit of a Beaufighter, unless you are a serious modeller, you are more likely to buy another kit rather than another Beaufighter and make a slightly different version. So I wonder if Airfix and other makes would find it better to sell one kit with options to make 2 or 3 versions in one box ( cost permitting of course). 

I would certainly say it would apply that a new tool when first issued would probably sell more of that version than subsequent boxings, take the Beaufort, that has sold well, modellers buying them up as they have been unavailable, but when Airfix release the next version I doubt that they will sell so well, as most people will be satisfied with the first one.

I am no expert or can back up my suggestions with data, but thought I would mention it

Cheers Rich

• Like 2

23 hours ago, TEXANTOMCAT said:

I'm aware of two new tools - one in 1/72 is fairly predictable, the one in 1/48 is not (in MY opinion!) in three weeks time the public will vote with their pre-order wallets.

I heard a whisper of a 1/48 Auster.  Certainly not predictable.  Maybe this should be in the Rumormonger Section, but seems more appropriate here.

• Like 2

I was talking to a bloke down the pub, who'd heard it from the bloke who delivers the sandwiches to Airfix, that they are definitely going to release a 1/24th scale Spruce Goose.🪶

John.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

I could live with a 1/48 Auster quite nicely but it would be a helluva quandary as to which one to do- a III ? V? 6 or AOP9?  that would be the one to do in 1/72 first I’d have thought then scale up if the demand is there-  

speaking selfishly I’d like a J/1N but that’s not a serious contender obvs-

This ‘we don’t downscale only upscale’ rule is frustrating as I think a 1/72 Chippie would do well- the 1/48 one seems to have done very nicely for them and the 1/72 Tiger (and 48th for that matter) is a lovely little kit - I’ve built 10! 

TT

2 minutes ago, TEXANTOMCAT said:

This ‘we don’t downscale only upscale’ rule is frustrating as I think a 1/72 Chippie would do well- the 1/48 one seems to have done very nicely for them and the 1/72 Tiger (and 48th for that matter) is a lovely little kit - I’ve built 10! 

I agree, but wonder if we might see a 'rule breaker' in the form of a 1/72 Sea Fury in the 'entry level modeller' range ie with the Spitfire Vc and Tempest.

My theory is that the 'entry level modeller' will have admired his dad/uncle/elder brother's 1/48 Sea Fury and would like to build one himself.  1/48 would be over-ambitious for a first model, whereas the junior ie 1/72 would be the perfect place to start.

P.S Airfix did have a 1/72 Chipmunk once but now long oop.  Perhaps they will re-issue it (no big deal) to test the market.

4 hours ago, Paul J said:

Launch date for 2022 kits is Monday 10th January at 4.00pm. All will be revealed.

My 65th birthday - must mean a re-issue of the Bristol Fighter will be the main announcement, as that was 'born' the same year as me... 🤣

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

My 65th birthday - must mean a re-issue of the Bristol Fighter will be the main announcement, as that was 'born' the same year as me... 🤣

Well it’ll be short shot in places and full of flash, so I hope you’ve aged better than that old thing. Let’s hope one of your Wishlist items is part of their new line up, that would be a nice Birthday present. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Haha 1

On 20/12/2021 at 16:33, TEXANTOMCAT said:

I do but can neither deny nor confirm the above  (it wouldn’t be fair mate - it’s like knowing how a magician does his trick🙂)

You tease! I'm intruiged by the rumoured 1/48 release....

My guess is a Hawker Fury. But equally I'm wondering if it might be Falklands related, maybe even a Skyhawk. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, trickydicky210 said:

Interestingly all of the kits listed above at the Works are kits that are issued as more than one variant, maybe in some cases Airfix (or other model suppliers) should only issue one boxing at a time of a particular subject ( I don’t know if all of the above were available in different versions at the same time) 

What I mean is that if someone fancies a kit of a Beaufighter, unless you are a serious modeller, you are more likely to buy another kit rather than another Beaufighter and make a slightly different version. So I wonder if Airfix and other makes would find it better to sell one kit with options to make 2 or 3 versions in one box ( cost permitting of course). 

I would certainly say it would apply that a new tool when first issued would probably sell more of that version than subsequent boxings, take the Beaufort, that has sold well, modellers buying them up as they have been unavailable, but when Airfix release the next version I doubt that they will sell so well, as most people will be satisfied with the first one.

It used to be common for different versions to appear in the same box, and it was perhaps Hasegawa who establish the alternative approach of the same kit, with or without variations in the parts, as separate releases.  (There were a few earlier examples.  Revell P-38s come to mind.)   I would suggest that a kit with major options would be more expensive to tool and need a larger box, thus being more expensive on the shelf.  Perhaps more significant is the position of the retailer: you suggest that later boxings sell less than the initial one and I would agree that this is likely to be true, but I suggest that boxings of a new variant would sell more than another release of the same kits in much the same box.  I suspect total sales are higher for another reason, and that is the wider choice of markings than available in an initial boxing that never changes.

On 12/21/2021 at 7:52 AM, Wez said:

I'd also say their quality is generally improving, the surface detail on the recent 1/48th Vampire is exquisite (and at least they don't go covering the thing in divots), the casual buyer may not appreciate this but I do.

Others may be able to correct me, but wasn't the Vampire built largely of wood?

6 minutes ago, Denford said:

Others may be able to correct me, but wasn't the Vampire built largely of wood?

Forward part of the fuselage nacelle forward of the engine firewall was, remainder was metal.  There's a forthcoming 1/32nd kit of the Vampire that's covered in divots.

Regarding production figures...

Albermarle: 602

Botha: 580

Manchester: 202

Sea King HAR.3: 19.. and yet there have been more kits around of this variant alone than of all the other types above put together...

That just goes to show how popularity is not necessarily related to production numbers or combat use but can have the most diverse reasons: may be a new warbird on the airshow circuit that appears in every magazine or the main star in a movie or series or comic book, the all red trainer that represents the Country at every event or the all yellow helicopter that people see in countless rescue operations or the fighter appearing every night in the news.

And yes, I know well that the Sea King family has been built in much larger numbers than those 19 yellow ones... yet these in the UK are much better known than the 1,000 built by Sikorsky, Agusta and Mitsubishi. The only exception was maybe in its days the famous "66" as used in the Apollo mission and not unsurprisingly Airfix made a kit of exactly this helicopter in that eventful 1969.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Only 17 sleeps till we know. 

And half of us will be happy and the other half won't.

Same as last year then.

Dick

• Haha 1

Was listening to YouTube channel show today and from that I'd be fairly sure that the Bond Bug might make a return if not next year then soon....lot of chat about one of the Hovercraft but as the tooling is still in Margate unlikely soon... so I've tried to round up what we know for sure and what seems 'likely' by way of a second boxing below:

The Airfix chap mentioned those 'revealed' so far which can be considered definite new releases- including

1/72 HP Victor - return- Falklands K2??

1/?? Jaguar E Type/ XKE

1/72 F-80 - Vintage Classics

A speculation on a safe bet:

1/72 Bucc - 'Gulf War'

1/72 Mossie - 'second boxing' TT35? Overseas?

1/72 Vulcan Black Buck

Possible 'second' or reboxings

1/48 Tiger Moth 'Civillian'

1/48 Hunter FR10 as some of the parts are in the box...

1/48 Sabre 'second boxing' 

I was going to suggest a Chippie rebox but given the 4 options in the first issue...

My final punt revolves around the 'biggie' - and I'm now convinced that a QE2/POW carrier is  highly likely

Thanks to all who've contributed to this thread all in good fun - a very Merry Xmas to you all

TT

• Like 3

16 hours ago, VMA131Marine said:

The first boxing of the Walrus sold out so rapidly it became almost unavailable anywhere. 

Glad to hear it!  If the 1/48 Tiger Moth also did well, then a 1/48 Dragon Rapide might be expected...?

I only do 1/72, so no particular axe to grind here: merely a possible tooling.  Lots of colour schemes and users too.

8 minutes ago, Denford said:

Glad to hear it!  If the 1/48 Tiger Moth also did well, then a 1/48 Dragon Rapide might be expected...?

I only do 1/72, so no particular axe to grind here: merely a possible tooling.  Lots of colour schemes and users too.

I'd be more than happy with the Armory kit, still listed as future release at Hannants. A new 1/72nd Rapide would be welcome though, unlikely as I think it is. I've just finished a Heller kit and although good at the time it would be a stretch to call it more than okayish now, plus the second hand price has become ludicrous. Slowly working my way through my small stash of them, and then I'll be reduced to the handfull of Rareplanes Rapides, already cut about for minor modding (Spanish Civil War).

Paul.

I am hopeful that a queen Lizzie/PoW in 1/350 is a good shout. 

I also think an expansion of the Vintage Classic range may happen as this provides kits rather than the expense of new toolings. 

• Like 1