AIRFIX 2022 rumours/thoughts/chat thread...

TEXANTOMCAT

4 minutes ago, Meatbox8 said:

I think you are a very brave modeller to take on the Roden Zeppelin-Staaken. Jusr getting their lozenge decals to adhere is too much of a challenge for me.  Roden are one of the few manufacturers of which I bought a kit which ended up in the bin.  A 1/72 Fokker D.VII to be precise.  Their SE5a is pretty good though, albeit a bit over-engineered.

In any event I doubt we will see a new 1/72 WWI kit from Airfix any time soon.  Maybe a 1/48th Brisfit though.  No good for me in that scale, however. 

The Staaken decals stick just fine. The problem, as often the case, is that they usually prefer to shatter rather than conform to anything more convoluted than a flat surface.

Paul.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Paul Thompson said:

The Staaken decals stick just fine. The problem, as often the case, is that they usually prefer to shatter rather than conform to anything more convoluted than a flat surface.

Paul.

Interesting.  The Roden D.VII decals were hopeless.  Had to use a (very nice) Pegasus set of lozenge declas for mine, before it got binned that is.  I ended up replacing it with a MAC Distribution kit, which was very nice. 

53 minutes ago, Beermonster1958 said:

I have built the Roden Gotha G. V.

Not a simple build but, I enjoyed it. I had few problems with the lozenge decals adhering or conforming to the surfaces. I did however cut them very carefully into more manageable size pieces. I dislike large decals as a matter of principle!! 😉😂.

It was worth the effort though.

I really love those lozenge finishes😊.

With regard to Airfix,  I'd settle though for a selection of WWI kits as Vintage Classics, namely the Hannover, Roland C. II,  D H 4 and, Bristol. F. 2B. I think these were the nicest of the WW I kits.

Bet they wouldn't do lozenge decals for the Hannover though!! 😉

John

As long as they don't re-release thier Camel though.  Definitely one for the collectors market only.  I've got their DH4 in the queue.  It's the old polybag issue and it looks quite nice.  Got their Roland too, albeit a Heller release.  Also looks pretty good for its age.  I'd still really like an FE2 though.  You never know. 

In terms of 1/72 I can't think of many other subjects I'd be crying out for that either haven't been covered by other manufacturers ad nauseum or are too esoteric.  A Lincoln would be really nice but I would be VERY surprised if they did one.  There's a good chance of an F-35B by my reckoning and maybe even a new tool Typhoon.  A Sea Vixen and Javelin in the proper scale, being as all of the alternatives are full of issues?  Airfix don't seem too keen on scaling down though.  I reckon they will almost certianly go for another WW2 classic, maybe a P-47 or Hellcat. Not exactly original but very bankable.  Maybe a new P-38 or a Ki-43?  A Canberra B.2/B.6 would be good.  I still can't imagine why they only opted for the PR.9 and B(I)8 in 1/72 back in the day.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Beermonster1958 said:

With regard to Airfix,  I'd settle though for a selection of WWI kits as Vintage Classics, namely the Hannover, Roland C. II,  D H 4 and, Bristol. F. 2B. I think these were the nicest of the WW I kits.

Bet they wouldn't do lozenge decals for the Hannover though!! 😉

John

The Hannover, DH4 and Roland are still very nice kits, even if Modelzone ended up having to reduce its apparently massive stock of CL.IIIa and F.2B kits to £1.50 when they were last released about 10 years ago, in a desperate attempt to get rid of them (I bought half a dozen Hannovers). To be fair, part of the problem might have been that the concept of a high street, mass market model shop chain had ceased to be viable anyway, and WW1 biplanes must have been one of the least viable product lines for a company trying to appeal to casual buyers. Airfix obviously thought the Bulldog and Demon could still be profitable in the Vintage Classics range and even though I already had multiples of both in the stash I've still bought more. I think the F.2B has had its day, though, and should be allowed to retire gracefully. The moulds are 10 years older than the Hannover's: 65 years old in fact, and nothing significant has ever been done to them. To put that in perspective, when the kit appeared it was only about 25 years since the F.2B had left front line service with the RAF! I agree a skilled modeller can turn it into a silk purse but it's crude in the extreme. On the other hand, it's not an easy build for a youngster either.  I'ld love to see a new kit but it looks as though Airfix (unlike KP) has decided that new WW1 aircraft kits aren't what's wanted by the market that it's aiming at.

As a passing thought, though, Airfix could produce a DH9 by combining a new fuselage, prop, engine and undercarriage with the DH4's wings, tailplanes, wheels and struts.........

9 hours ago, Meatbox8 said:

I reckon they will almost certianly go for another WW2 classic, maybe a P-47 or Hellcat. Not exactly original but very bankable.  Maybe a new P-38 or a Ki-43?  

I agree. I had a sudden resurgence of interest in USAAF aircraft last year and I was surprised to discover that practically no 1/72 kits were readily available, particularly at what I would consider an affordable price (I realise that's subjective). I'm lucky to have two decent model shops near me and their coverage amounted to the B-17G and P-51D. Since then, Academy's P-51B and P-47s have reappeared, and Arma's P-51B is due, but the A-20, B-26, A-26, B-24, etc. aren't readily obtainable. It's not as if WW2 American aircraft are a niche interest, even in the UK market: all these types were operated here in large numbers and used to be staples in several manufacturers' ranges.

53 minutes ago, AWFK10 said:

The Hannover, DH4 and Roland are still very nice kits, even if Modelzone ended up having to reduce its apparently massive stock of CL.IIIa and F.2B kits to £1.50 when they were last released about 10 years ago, in a desperate attempt to get rid of them (I bought half a dozen Hannovers). To be fair, part of the problem might have been that the concept of a high street, mass market model shop chain had ceased to be viable anyway, and WW1 biplanes must have been one of the least viable product lines for a company trying to appeal to casual buyers. Airfix obviously thought the Bulldog and Demon could still be profitable in the Vintage Classics range and even though I already had multiples of both in the stash I've still bought more. I think the F.2B has had its day, though, and should be allowed to retire gracefully. The moulds are 10 years older than the Hannover's: 65 years old in fact, and nothing significant has ever been done to them. To put that in perspective, when the kit appeared it was only about 25 years since the F.2B had left front line service with the RAF! I agree a skilled modeller can turn it into a silk purse but it's crude in the extreme. On the other hand, it's not an easy build for a youngster either.  I'ld love to see a new kit but it looks as though Airfix (unlike KP) has decided that new WW1 aircraft kits aren't what's wanted by the market that it's aiming at.

Agreed, except the bit about the F2b. Ever seen the original? Along with the Albatros, it was significantly tarted up, although my increasingly fragile grasp on the passage of time isn't going to chance a date on that. But it was long ago blown out of the air by the Libramodels kit, and later the Pegasus and Roden kits (of which the Roden is by far the best). A new one would be nice though.

53 minutes ago, AWFK10 said:

As a passing thought, though, Airfix could produce a DH9 by combining a new fuselage, prop, engine and undercarriage with the DH4's wings, tailplanes, wheels and struts.........

Yeah. Dream on. I'd be delighted by any new Airfix WWI stuff, in any scale, whether land, sea or air by subject, but seeing how all they could come up with for the Centenary was a re-pop of their Camel, which is the worst one ever marketted (and I'm including the Keil Kraft offering in that) in markings applicable only to a different version, then I doubt it will ever happen. The market just doesn't seem to be there to sell the numbers required. Plus, I recently built a DH4 from the most recent boxing, and I think the mould is beginning to wear out - the struts are certainly getting dodgy.

I would like to make a speculation in the spirit of this thread though, but it does lie slightly to one side of where our own universe is currently at, more in the parallel one where the BE and Fokker sold well enough to encourage further new releases. Trying very hard not to wishlist, I'll put it this way: In this possibly non-existent and probably only inside my own head reality, I think a new tool 1/48th Pfalz D.3 or 3a would sell well, and with no improvement in how Airfix do things it would still put the Eduard kit (the wings of which are less than stellar) to shame. They could tie it in to the Peter Jackson remake of the Blue Max. Oh, hang on, for a moment I thought that might be a thing. But it ain't.

Paul.

59 minutes ago, AWFK10 said:

It's not as if WW2 American aircraft are a niche interest, even in the UK market: all these types were operated here in large numbers and used to be staples in several manufacturers' ranges.

I suspect part of the problem is that they are popular and hence have already been done many times by main stream manufacturers. So what does the manufacturer do? When is the optimum time to produce a new kit - or re-cycle and old one (e.g. Airfix Classics).

We want modern kits, but manufacturers want to get maximum return on the molds they have. A 'new tool' effectively means ending any potential revenue from the 'old tool'. I imagine its a tricky judgement call.

Cheers

Colin

2 hours ago, ckw said:

I suspect part of the problem is that they are popular and hence have already been done many times by main stream manufacturers. So what does the manufacturer do? When is the optimum time to produce a new kit - or re-cycle and old one (e.g. Airfix Classics).

We want modern kits, but manufacturers want to get maximum return on the molds they have. A 'new tool' effectively means ending any potential revenue from the 'old tool'. I imagine its a tricky judgement call.

Cheers

Colin

It is not that tricky, it is "just" part of the many decision that the management of a company has to make. There are tools available to support the management in this kind of decision, simplifying to the extreme it's a matter of putting a number of figures into an excel sheet or similar and see if the result suggests a yes or a no.

For many of us (me included) it's something that looks very hard, for people with a degree in business and some experience it's part of their basic skills (or should be...)

2 hours ago, Paul Thompson said:

Agreed, except the bit about the F2b. Ever seen the original? Along with the Albatros, it was significantly tarted up, although my increasingly fragile grasp on the passage of time isn't going to chance a date on that. But it was long ago blown out of the air by the Libramodels kit, and later the Pegasus and Roden kits (of which the Roden is by far the best). A new one would be nice though.

I'd be delighted by any new Airfix WWI stuff, in any scale, whether land, sea or air by subject, but seeing how all they could come up with for the Centenary was a re-pop of their Camel, which is the worst one ever marketted (and I'm including the Keil Kraft offering in that) in markings applicable only to a different version, then I doubt it will ever happen. The market just doesn't seem to be there to sell the numbers required. Plus, I recently built a DH4 from the most recent boxing, and I think the mould is beginning to wear out - the struts are certainly getting dodgy.

No, I never have seen the original F.2B. Until you mentioned it I didn't realise it had ever been upgraded but the Airfix Tribute Forum says that happened in 1963 and while I can't quite claim that was before my time it was five or six years before I made my first kit - which was the Airfix Camel! I remember building the Keil Kraft one as well and yes, the Airfix one was definitely worse.

I bought five BE2cs when the kit first came out, including one as a donor of bits for a reworked RE8, but obviously that wasn't enough to persuade Airfix that WW1 models are profitable. I may yet buy another, as there's an AW FK3 conversion in the last Cross & Cockade Journal.

56 minutes ago, Beermonster1958 said:

Fair comment. I don't bother much about accuracy etc and, I did build the F2.B about 10 years ago. Rather enjoyed it. All of the early WWI Airfix kits are a bit crude by current standards but, I enjoy working on such models. As long as the end result is ok to me, I'm happy!

I also forgot to add the Sopwith Pup to my little list! 😊

John

Ps - recently managed to score an original Airfix Hawker Hart at a reasonable price but, I know that won't appear as a Vintage Classic - unless you count its morphing into the Hawker Demon!

The Pup is still a cracking little kit. There's also the Handley Page 0/400? There's plenty of scope for improving it, ideally including industrial-grade sanding of the wings and tailplanes, but I intend to have another go at it some time.

As a small boy, I was gifted an assembled Hart along with some other models that a friend of my dad's was disposing of. Wish I still had it! In some ways it's actually better than the Demon as when Airfix retooled it they added the same overaccentuated ribs that the 0/400 has.

• Like 1

Airfix have tweeted this morning that they are doing an online Advent Calendar again, and are promising "an incredible aviation experience, sneak peak, giveaways, competitions & more, this is not to be missed!"

Hopefully we might get some teasers of whats to come in '22

• Like 1

Well, we know that they’ve Lidar’ed the Brisfit, and figured out how to engineer that lower wing arrangement, so a nice new tool in 1/72 or 1/48 could be on the cards… I bet Paramjit would be able to come up with a really builder-friendly design!

best,

M.

I watched the Yesterday programme on Hornby yesterday - the one with the quick build Mustang (car) and the HS125 and the upside down rail layout. Underneath Paramjit's desk was a Tamiya 1/48 P-38. Trying out the opposition?

5 hours ago, AntPhillips said:

Airfix have tweeted this morning that they are doing an online Advent Calendar again, and are promising "an incredible aviation experience, sneak peak, giveaways, competitions & more, this is not to be missed!"

Pretty much like all their other advent calendars, then?

• Haha 1

Looking again at the Hornby programme on Yesterday, I noticed that the chap designing the quick build Mustang was using software that could derive a design file from photographs- possibly stills from the promotional film. This suggests to me that Airfix doesn't need to LIDAR an existing full size subject. If I am correct then we may see unexpected releases such as a DH Sea Hornet.

• Like 1

This seems exceedingly unlikely because of the problems distortion brings, even if it is known exactly where the photograph was taken from - which you usually don't.   Clearly it has a use for details, and not just small ones, but when it comes to determining such things as true lengths and section shapes, LIDAR is far more accurate.

2 hours ago, iainpeden said:

Underneath Paramjit's desk was a Tamiya 1/48 P-38. Trying out the opposition?

I missed that, I was too busy trying to work out what the aircraft that was blurred out on his screen could be.

They're definitely trolling us with the F35s now, there were at least two in different scales within one shot this week.

8 hours ago, AntPhillips said:

Hopefully we might get some teasers of whats to come in '22

Excellent news…. I suspect even more end of year competitions which are only open to members with UK addresses? 

Honestly, If there’s one way to disappoint your International customers, then this is it. 

Cheers… (or should that be Humbug).. Dave

• Like 1

I can't remember if I've already posted on this thread already three or four times (my memory is not what it once was, if it ever was), but here goes again. I'd love to see, in God's Scale (1/72nd) - a Lincoln, a Sea Vixen (both FAW.1 and FAW.2 if possible), and a Javelin (preferably a Mk.9). And would somebody, anybody please release a proper postwar Lancaster with the Lincoln-type rudders, taller astrodome, and especially the fuselage windows gone!* Just trying to fill in the windows on my Hasegawa GR.3 has made me look longingly at my X-Acto blade and then my wrist, more than once. Oh, yes, if Mr. Lomitzki (Valom) doesn't get to it, a Hastings in 1/72nd scale would definitely be very welcome.

Regards,

Jason

*I realise that some of the Hasegawa Lancasters have the Lincoln-type rudder (I believe), and definitely the taller, Lincoln-type astrodome, but not the filled-in fuselage windows.

Edited by Learstang
Additional comment added.
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Paul Thompson said:

The market just doesn't seem to be there to sell the numbers required. Plus, I recently built a DH4 from the most recent boxing, and I think the mould is beginning to wear out - the struts are certainly getting dodgy.

If a steel tool is worn out it's likely had 100,000+ shots through it.  That's evidence of demand!

58 minutes ago, 3DStewart said:

If a steel tool is worn out it's likely had 100,000+ shots through it.  That's evidence of demand!

Yes, but it's been in use since 1957, and for a large part of that time this hobby was still in the mainstream, so demand was much greater. Therefore, no suprise at all if a mould from then is worn, or as in the case of the Spad VII, worn out.

Paul.

The DH4 was quite a bit later than 1957., or it seemed that way at the time!  However, I recall Airfix claiming 100.000 for its original Lancaster a long time ago and it is currently on its third set of tools.  Similarly the third early Spitfire and Hurricane Mk.1.  The interval between second and third was significantly longer than between first and second, in each case.  You can add P-51D and Bf.109G to this list of triple issues - there have been releases of other variants of these types in between, of course.

But only two Zeroes, Typhoons, Blenheims, and only one Halifax, DH.4 or P-47.  A fairly clear indication of their relative popularity.  No doubt a stronger case can be made  by considering the number of appearances of the kits in each year's catalogues, lacking the true sales or even production numbers.