AIRFIX 2022 rumours/thoughts/chat thread...

TEXANTOMCAT

Just got the latest Flypast mag. Corgi are advertising a 1/48 British phantom die cast.

Airfix cannot be far off.

Dick

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TEXANTOMCAT said:

1/72 F-80 - Vintage Classics

This is still a pretty nice kit. In the same vein, the Airfix 1/72 F-86D Sabre Dog was also decent and it hasn’t been reissued since 1989. Then there’s the F4D-1 Skyray that hasn’t been issued since 1988.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Dave Fleming said:

My only quibble with the Vintage Classic range is the strict 'original decal subjects only' - it would be nice to see some alternatives, like the perhaps an RAF or Royal Navy Heron. (In fact at one point the Heron kit did have an RAF option)

Oh yeah definitely, would love to see some of them with new schemes. By all means include an original scheme as well, but please Airfix.... new schemes!

This is the image posted behind the 24 Dec Avent Calender reveal. OK all you Sea Dogs… what do you think the background image might be? 
Cheers and Merry Christmas.. Dave 

S0F0SI1.jpg

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Adam Poultney said:

Oh yeah definitely, would love to see some of them with new schemes. By all means include an original scheme as well, but please Airfix.... new schemes!

Yes, that's my view,  give us the original schemes but give us some new alternatives.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

This is the image posted behind the 24 Dec Avent Calender reveal. OK all you Sea Dogs… what do you think the background image might be? 

S0F0SI1.jpg

Sure looks like a QE2 to me unless this is an excerpt from the box art for one of the new aircraft...

https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/why-are-the-queen-elizabeth-class-carriers-so-big/

TT

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TEXANTOMCAT said:

I think you’ve nailed it Raven👍👍👍👍

mind you it isn’t the first time Airfix have ‘done’ a QE2 carrier

https://uk.airfix.com/community/blog-and-news/news/airfix-unveil-specially-commissioned-queen-elizabeth-aircraft-carrier-model

Was that QE2 model not scratch-built by someone posting here on Britmodeller? I was off the forum for an extended period due to health problems and the memory is a bit hazy.

Regards,

Ross.

• Like 1

Gotta say a 1/350 or 1/600 1970s Ark Royal would fit really well with Airfix’s “serious modeller” demographic (ie the bits of the range like 1/48 Sea Vixen, Javelin, Hunter that are aimed at the older, British, experienced modeller). Lots of people like me who aren’t ship modellers would buy that one…

best,

M.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, cmatthewbacon said:

Lots of people like me who aren’t ship modellers would buy that one…

I have to say I totally agree. I’ve got a nice empty spot on the top of my modelling cabinet and was thinking something like this would be a perfect fit. I was initially thinking an earlier Post War carrier, however will gladly purchase the Ark Royal if Airfix was to offer up one in 1/350 scale. 

Fingers crossed.. Dave 

25 minutes ago, Ravens said:

Was that QE2 model not scratch-built by someone posting here on Britmodeller? I was off the forum for an extended period due to health problems and the memory is a bit hazy.

Regards,

Ross.

Yep I think you’re right Ross

4 hours ago, VMA131Marine said:

This is still a pretty nice kit. In the same vein, the Airfix 1/72 F-86D Sabre Dog was also decent and it hasn’t been reissued since 1989. Then there’s the F4D-1 Skyray that hasn’t been issued since 1988.

The F-80 was one of the best Airfix kit from the '70s, IMHO even better than the F-86D. A reissue would be welcome as there aren't many other alternatives around and none "mainstream" (while Hasegawa offer a much more modern F-86D).  If this kit is indeed reboxed, I will try to get one (Airfix distribution here is not great)

I never had the Airfix Skyray but since the Tamiya kit is easily available at a decent price I feel little need today.

1 hour ago, Ravens said:

Regards,

Ross.

@Ravens Ross, I scratch-built the 1350 HMS Queen Elizabeth for the ship's naming ceremony in 2014:

spacer.png

and I made a 1/350 HMS Prince of Wales for Airfix for the Hornby Visitor Centre in 2019:

.spacer.png

Dave

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Rabbit Leader said:

S0F0SI1.jpg

I don’t think the image is the QEC or POW, it is certainly a carrier, I like the idea that it could be the Ark Royal 1970s, but it could be HMS Illustrious ( re-issue as a vintage kit). 
I certainly suspect it’s a link to a QEC kit though.

It is HMS Ark Royal IV (R09) as this photo shows:

spacer.png

As you can see, the waves are identical to the advent calendar. If Airfix aren't doing this ship then I can only think a 1/48 Buccaneer is on the cards. Hopefully, it is the ship.

Dave

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, davecov said:

Hopefully, it is the ship.

Yep, it certainly looks like it might be. But in what scale I wonder? 🤔 

Well done for matching the photo Dave!

Edited by RichG
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, davecov said:

It is HMS Ark Royal IV (R09) as this photo shows:

spacer.png

As you can see, the waves are identical to the advent calendar. If Airfix aren't doing this ship then I can only think a 1/48 Buccaneer is on the cards. Hopefully, it is the ship.

Dave

Agreed - based on the teaser, I'm really hoping that it is indeed the '70s era Ark!!!!  Even if (the now obselete scale of) 1:600 - but 1:350 would be much better like their other recent RN ships (a matching 1:350 Leander would be fantastic too but not holding my breath).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cmatthewbacon said:

Gotta say a 1/350 or 1/600 1970s Ark Royal would fit really well with Airfix’s “serious modeller” demographic (ie the bits of the range like 1/48 Sea Vixen, Javelin, Hunter that are aimed at the older, British, experienced modeller). Lots of people like me who aren’t ship modellers would buy that one…

best,

M.

My interest is because my late grandfather was her XO in the early '70s & she was one of the ships he often mentioned, but from what I understand, there was always something iconic about Ark IV, in terms of how it was percieved by the general public, een after she was scrapped.  Given all the other ships that are available, that does make the lack of an injection moulded one does seem a bit strange.

9 minutes ago, Paul H said:

Agreed - based on the teaser, I'm really hoping that it is indeed the '70s era Ark!!!!  Even if (the now obselete scale of) 1:600 - but 1:350 would be much better like their other recent RN ships (a matching 1:350 Leander would be fantastic too but not holding my breath).

Having recently shelled out on a 1/700 Atlantic Models HMS Ark Royal IV, I hope we don't get a 1/600 or 1/700 one but a 1/350 one. That will save me scratch-building one.

Dave

• Like 1