AIRFIX 2022 rumours/thoughts/chat thread...

TEXANTOMCAT

Hornby are announcing the new railway models on the tenth of January and Airfix is usually a day or so later. Every year the Web site crashes. Given the state of the world, I am not holding my breath for much. 

53 minutes ago, TEXANTOMCAT said:

Do we not think that the Airfix Spitfire day at IWM Duxford on the 9th Jan might be a massive clue and a good place to unveil a brand new 1/24 Spit?

TT

Sounds  like an idea but will have to wait and see. Having built the 24th mk1and finding it quite poor, a new tool would be good . However,  I would like to see something that has not featured in the Airfix catalogue ever or in a long time. 

On 11/12/2021 at 7:46 PM, Mr T said:

No, neither Airfix or Revell are attending this year. 

The Hornby Railway range is due to be announced on 10th January 2022 and  Airfix is usually the day after in a vain attempt to stop the website crashing. 

So Airfix are likely to announce their range on the 11th January (Tuesday) and I believe the Airfix Model World mag is due on the 12th (in the intent to not steal the Thunder) , the Spitfire day is a Sunday, they might do something Telford style? Does seem too much of a coincidence. 

However Airfix seem to do 1/24 super kits every 5 years and I believe it’s only 3 since the Hellcat appeared, but then the one kit they could do quite easily in 1/24 would be a spitfire as they must have enough info. 

Whatever happens we will get the cheers 🤗the moans 🥴and the whatever’s 🥱, but let’s hope the cheers come out on top.

• Like 3

So I take it there has been no ‘official’ date announcement for Airfix’s 2022 range despite what’s been well suggested above? Seems a bit odd to announce something so significant on a Tuesday, however that’s just my opinion and not based on any solid foundation. I wouldn’t be surprised if the whole show is revealed at this Duxford event with a 1/24 Spit (high back XIV) being the stand out announcement. With the ever advancing developments in CAD design and technology plus the experience gained by the in-house design team, I reckon there’s every reason that this 5 year gap between Superkit designs could be reduced to something as little as three years. 

Anyway.. I’d be happy with just one design filling my wants list, history tells me there will be many more however!

Cheers.. Dave 

On 13/12/2021 at 19:57, Robert said:

Have Airfix announced the date for their 2022 kits ?

Regards

Robert

I was told by someone on the Airfix Model World stand at Telford that the announcement would be made as usual on 7th January.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, trickydicky210 said:

... so you can buy all three V bombers next year 

Might also be a good time to release a V-Bomber Vehicle support set I think? 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 2

Airfix seem to do well with British subjects that are maybe a little obscure for other manufacturers. 
The Defiant and Blenheim for example were released in 1/72nd and later in 1/48th so must have been successful enough to warrant scaling up

Avro Anson

Westland Lysander

Handley page Hampden

Fairey Battle

All would sell well I imagine

• Like 1

Happy to see the Victor return to the range but I doubt I'll be buying one, I already have four! 

6 minutes ago, Wimpy1997 said:

Finally an Avro Manchester anyone? 

No….. I’ll get my coat. 

Please..... Airfix please

13 hours ago, Max Headroom said:

Head over to Airfix on Twitter. They are asking for 2023 suggestions 👍

Trevor

They probably know what their line up for 2023 is already, so any suggestions you make would be fruitless.

Regards

Robert

On 12/19/2021 at 8:48 AM, Beermonster1958 said:

I'd love a Manchester (and a Lincoln) but, not as much as I'd like a 10 year moratorium on more Spitfire (and, every other hackneyed, done to death already WWII type) kits🤪! 😝

John

Dream on.  Airfix's business is to make money: nothing else.

Spitfires, 109's, and Mustangs sell, so will continue to to be tooled.  I've heard a hint of an Allison Mustang (to follow Spitfire Vc, Tempest ?  ) We'll know in a month from now.

And whose ever even heard of the Manchester let alone would buy it ?  My wartime recognition booklet has types such as Hs129, Me323 which surely never even crossed to coast, yet of the Manchester not even a mention.

• Like 2

Two possible reasons for that: one is that the Manchester was considered secret and so omitted, or that it had been withdrawn so was not needed.  Seeing the German types included, perhaps the latter?  However, it is the most significant, in terms of numbers, British WW2 combat type yet to see a 1/72 injected model.  Airfix did at least offer someone else's Fulmar, if only briefly.

3 minutes ago, Denford said:

Dream on.  Airfix's business is to make money: nothing else.

Spitfires, 109's, and Mustangs sell, so will continue to to be tooled.  I've heard a hint of an Allison Mustang (to follow Spitfire Vc, Tempest ?  ) We'll know in a month from now.

And whose ever even heard of the Manchester let alone would buy it ?  My wartime recognition booklet has types such as Hs129, Me323 which surely never even crossed to coast, yet of the Manchester not even a mention.

Explain the Whitley, Walrus, Defiant, etc... 

The backbone of Airfix is made of Spitfires, Hurricanes, 109s and Mustangs, but they do so much more than just those. 

I think you underestimate just how much the Airfix logo and decent box art will sell a kit.

33 minutes ago, Adam Poultney said:

The backbone of Airfix is made of Spitfires, Hurricanes, 109s and Mustangs, but they do so much more than just those. 

I think you underestimate just how much the Airfix logo and decent box art will sell a kit.

The Walrus I hear didn't do too well....

I'm sure that the Airfix logo and box art are are common attributes to all releases so can't really be used as justification for tooling an obscure, or indeed any, particular subject.  I appreciate, from your previous postings that you'd like to see a Manchester, but this doesn't make it, commercially, a better choice than the many, many other possible (re)toolings: Halifax, Lincoln, Catalina, Privateer to name but a few.

I'm not sure of availability of data and before you again say 'What about the Whitley?' I suspect that it had, like the Do17, 'passed the point of no return' when Airfix made their decision on this.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Adam Poultney said:

All these were kitted in the 1960's so their profile is higher than the Manchester and there are probably  a number of modellers who who want to relive their youth. I certainly missed out on the FRog/Novo Whitley and was pleased to see Airfix issue theirs.

• Like 1