AIRFIX 2022 rumours/thoughts/chat thread...

TEXANTOMCAT

14 hours ago, Bobby No Mac said:

...and I'd wager that any Heller reboxings would date back to when they were both part of Humbrol family.

Isn't the Higgins LCVP, a Heller model?  Although Scalemates says the current Airfix version is a retool in 2014 rather than the 2004 Heller version.

23 minutes ago, Paul821 said:

Isn't the Higgins LCVP, a Heller model?  Although Scalemates says the current Airfix version is a retool in 2014 rather than the 2004 Heller version.

The 01321/A01321 LCVP Landing Craft was a reissue of Heller kit number 71234.

A02340 issued in 2014 was a new Airfix tool.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Beermonster1958 said:

Yes, I know,  prototypes "dont sell"!

Oh, I don't know, I'm sure there's about 5 of us on here that would buy them...... :)

For some reason the P1127 was one of a very small number of Airfix kits I never had as a kid, then they started fetching stupid prices on that auction site so I've never had one when I ''grew up'' either! So I'd be very happy to see it come back as a 'vintage classic'. (and in my old age even happier to see a new tool 1/48 kit!)

Keith 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, wellsprop said:

https://uk.airfix.com/christmas/advent-calendar-2021?modal=offer-modal

New model confirmed on the calendar today, looks like an e type Jag perhaps? 

Yes, it's an E Type S1 FHC.  Seems an odd choice given Revell's very recent release, but I suspect it will be 1:32 rather than 1:24, as that seems to be Airfix's preferred car scale, and also based on various details visible in the teaser pic and video, it looks like a new tool rather than a reboxing of Heller's one.

I too recall as a youngster building the P1127, and later modifying one to be an attempt at a Kestrel, I was really pleased with my Tripartite Squadron roundels. Pity I didn't take photos - I bet they were pitiful. 

I even painted one up as a Harrier-to-be in camouflage - and was so delighted when Airfix produced their first GR1.

• Like 1

Well we know that Airfix are releasing a hawk with two kits included for club members next year.

https://uk.airfix.com/community/blog-and-news/workbench/historic-hawk-heading-airfix-club-members

Question I have is how well does Airfix's kit of a standard Hawk T1 represent the pre production aircraft?

7 minutes ago, Adam Poultney said:

Well we know that Airfix are releasing a hawk with two kits included for club members next year.

https://uk.airfix.com/community/blog-and-news/workbench/historic-hawk-heading-airfix-club-members

Question I have is how well does Airfix's kit of a standard Hawk T1 represent the pre production aircraft?

Depends if they still have the tooling for the first Hawk kit they did... I built one in 1978 or so, and that one was almost certainly based on a prototype...

best,

M.

12 hours ago, Adam Poultney said:

The pictures in the link show kits from the same kit, one of the visible differences was the fillet behind the fin, and the models both show the final design as included in the kit.

An early aircraft would require some work from the modeller

I wonder what the new kits will be, I am hoping but really not expecting a:

1/24 Me262 

1/72 Sam 2 Missile (old tool lost/damaged) 

1/72(6) Luftwaffe supply set 

In the Vintage classics

1/144 SR-N4 Hovercraft

1/600 Moskva

1/76 German Mountain Troops

Dear Santa...... 

P1127 kit is interesting, it sat in the range alongside the Harrier kit until they switched to blister packaging, then (apparently) as the 1127 didn't fit into the blister pack, it was dropped from the range.

Then, in the 80s, rumours spread (and published by Arthur Ward in his history book) that the 1127 mold had been destroyed/lost and second hand prices shot up (I paid £30 in 88 for one!). I then heard late 90s that the mould was still in existence, and Humbrol were pondering a re-release.

This happened in 2000, Humbrol re-released it in the short-lived Series 0 (in a Series 1 box)

2 hours ago, Dave Fleming said:

P1127 kit is interesting, it sat in the range alongside the Harrier kit until they switched to blister packaging, then (apparently) as the 1127 didn't fit into the blister pack, it was dropped from the range.

Then, in the 80s, rumours spread (and published by Arthur Ward in his history book) that the 1127 mold had been destroyed/lost and second hand prices shot up (I paid £30 in 88 for one!). I then heard late 90s that the mould was still in existence, and Humbrol were pondering a re-release.

This happened in 2000, Humbrol re-released it in the short-lived Series 0 (in a Series 1 box)

I bought one from the Hendon museum shop around that time. Sharing a box with an Aardvark resin, now.

Paul.

Speaking as someone who only got back into scale models in the last year, it's a little tiresome to just see endless versions of Spitfires, Mustangs and Lancs on their site. 

I'd like to see more of the Cold War aircraft, such as the Lightning, Buccaneer and Sea Vixen in 1/48. Managed to get a couple of Lightnings but trying to get a Buccaneer seems to be impossible.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Robert said:

Have Airfix announced the date for their 2022 kits ?

Regards

Robert

That will probably one of the advent calendar days. I think it was done like that last year.

Dick 

On 13/12/2021 at 19:10, TeaWeasel said:

Sea Vixen in 1/48.

Airfix already did this, but cancelled the reissue of the kit.

How about a 1/72 new tool though?

On 13/12/2021 at 19:57, Robert said:

Have Airfix announced the date for their 2022 kits ?

Regards

Robert

It's usually the first or second week of January that they announce the kits... and crash the website for a few days.

Airfix, I know you lot read forums! Please please please just post the range on the social media pages as well so we can all get a good look at the new kits without having to navigate a constantly crashing website!

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Adam Poultney said:

Airfix, I know you lot read forums! Please please please just post the range on the social media pages as well so we can all get a good look at the new kits without having to navigate a constantly crashing website!

And it certainly will crash this year 😜😁

Just now, Beermonster1958 said:

Very nice!  Actually, I'd settle for seeing either of the original Whitleys reissued as well😊

John

Are they not on sale anymore? 

Just looking through the Warpaint Series publication on the Whitley, wouldn't it make sense to see a Mk.iv? Merlin engines and early turrets. Then from there a Mk.i-iii is more likely

5 minutes ago, TEXANTOMCAT said:

As they've only just finished dumping stock Whitleys via The Works I'd suggest that'd be unlikely for a few years yet - see also P-40B and Shack AEW I think...

TT

That's a shame, the Whitley is a really nice kit to build. Probably my favourite build of 2021, and that includes the new Vulcan. I enjoyed the build thread of the Vulcan more, enjoyed answering lots of questions, but actually the Whitley is much nicer kit to build. 

I have Revell's Shackleton AEW.2 in the stash so I'm not too bothered by the Airfix one being unavailable. It'll probably get built eventually but it's just one of those models that I open the box and then see the parts count and a fair few bits of flash on the plastic, remind myself that I'd rather just build another Vulcan, and put it away again.....

• Like 1

On 12/13/2021 at 7:10 PM, TeaWeasel said:

Speaking as someone who only got back into scale models in the last year, it's a little tiresome to just see endless versions of Spitfires, Mustangs and Lancs on their site. 

I'd like to see more of the Cold War aircraft, such as the Lightning, Buccaneer and Sea Vixen in 1/48. Managed to get a couple of Lightnings but trying to get a Buccaneer seems to be impossible.

Airfix need to be more innovative. Apart from endless Spitfires, Mustangs and the like. They seem to be doing all the classic Cold War jets in 1/48, that are already avaiable in 1/72, so we do indeed have Hunters, Lightnings, Buccaneers etc in 1/48, but they appear to have lost their way now. I do wonder how many 1/24th Hellcats and now 1/48th Vampire F.3s they will sell.

Their best sellers have been the Red Arrows Gnats and Hawks in both 1/72 and 1/48th and I believe they have sold thousands in 1/72 scale. With the RAF Red Arrows kits being so popular with modellers of all ages, I have contacted Airfix and suggest they make a 1/12th or even 1/8th scale kit of a RAF Red Arrows pilot in full flying suit. This could be reboxed as a RAF Typhoon or F-35 Lightning pilot. so has lots of potential sales.      

Edited by AMB