AIRFIX 2022 rumours/thoughts/chat thread...

TEXANTOMCAT

If I were Airfix and thinking about a new 1/24 kit I would rank the possible subjects in this order:

Spitfire Mk.I/II/V

P-51D Mustang

Bf 109G-6

Fw 190A-8

P-40E or N

Bf 109E-3/4/4N/7/trop

Spitfire Mk.IX

Hawker Hurricane Mk.IIc

F4F-4 Wildcat

A6M2 Zero

F4U-1A/D Corsair

Boulton-Paul Defiant

Hawker Demon

Hawker Hind

Hawker Fury

Bristol Bulldog 

Gloster Gladiator

Sopwith F.1 Camel

Douglas SBD-3 Dauntless

F-16C

F-35B

Me 163 Komet

Me 262

Fw 190D-9

Ta 152H-1

MiG-15

DH Vampire FB.5

Fairey Swordfish

P-39 Airacobra

P-47 Thunderbolt

P-38J/L Lightning

Salmson-Moineau S.M.1*

*That last one is just to see if you read to the end.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, VMA131Marine said:

Salmson-Moineau S.M.1

Nice! An important and attractive subject often overlooked :whistle:

Agree with the Vampire an FB.5/9 would be a very attractive subject too alongside the S.M.1

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

57 minutes ago, VMA131Marine said:

If I were Airfix and thinking about a new 1/24 kit I would rank the possible subjects in this order:

Spitfire Mk.I/II/V

P-51D Mustang

Bf 109G-6

Fw 190A-8

P-40E or N

Bf 109E-3/4/4N/7/trop

Spitfire Mk.IX

Hawker Hurricane Mk.IIc

F4F-4 Wildcat

A6M2 Zero

F4U-1A/D Corsair

Boulton-Paul Defiant

Hawker Demon

Hawker Hind

Hawker Fury

Bristol Bulldog 

Gloster Gladiator

Sopwith F.1 Camel

Douglas SBD-3 Dauntless

F-16C

F-35B

Me 163 Komet

Me 262

Fw 190D-9

Ta 152H-1

MiG-15

DH Vampire FB.5

Fairey Swordfish

P-39 Airacobra

P-47 Thunderbolt

P-38J/L Lightning

Salmson-Moineau S.M.1*

*That last one is just to see if you read to the end.

You left off the Balliol. So many marking options……

Trevor

5 hours ago, VMA131Marine said:

Although they have done 1/48th biplanes (Hawker Fury, Supermarine Walrus, actually, I think that’s it) they have never done a WWI biplane in 1/48th. It’s a small sample size though, so they wouldn’t really be breaking precedent.

Edit: I forgot about the 1/48 Tiger Moth

True, but something about that new Corgi Brisfit.....

On 11/27/2021 at 2:41 PM, Max Headroom said:

A slip wing Hurricane?

🚪:coat:

Trevor

It's time for your medication Trevor :bye::analintruder::tease:

Dick

• Haha 1

On 14/10/2021 at 12:30, TEXANTOMCAT said:

Will the cancelled Sea Vixen re-release happen this year? 

I understood it had been cancelled too, but there's a trader on ebay uk that allegedly has 3 in stock and has sold 130 of them....??!! :shrug:

I've got one awaiting its turn in the build queue so not interested in clicking their 'buy it now' button to see if they actually do have them! :)

Keith

• Like 1

That is the 2010-2013 issue boxing.

Perhaps that seller has obtained unsold stock from somewhere

~~ the '130 sold' doesn't change when you select another kit, but the number available of the kit changes

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Black Knight said:

Perhaps that seller has obtained unsold stock from somewhere

I was wondering that too.

Still, if anyone is desperate for one at a price that I'd guess would be similar to a re-issue.....

Keith

(no connection whatsoever with said seller btw)

I'd love a reissued Sea Vixen..... but I'd love a 1/48 FAW.1 with new parts/modified tooling even more because I really like early variants of things

(but I'd love a new 1/72 kit even even more, either major variant)

Edited by Adam Poultney

8 hours ago, Adam Poultney said:

(but I'd love a new 1/72 kit even even more, either major variant)

Seconded! And as others have already mentioned a 72nd Javelin - I'd been badgering Airfix for both of those for years at Telford - up to 2019 anyway....!! 

Already mentioned too - a 1/72 Hastings and Twin Pioneer, pretty please Airfix!

Keith

• Like 2

I've watched a couple of episodes of Hornby Model and noticed they were using Tamiya Extra Thin to glue the pre-prodution models together maybe that's their next big release...... 😄

• Haha 1

With about a month till the Trade Fair when ‘all will be revealed’, I’ll ask for opinions on the next ‘Starter’ kit to follow the Spitfire Vc and Tempest V? 

The buyers will probably be young, not have bought a kit before and certainly not be BM readers.  The subject must be small (obviously), have an element of British ‘association’, and potential for an ‘action’ box top. Also no rigging.  I list:

- F4U Corsair                                                                                                          

- Sea Hawk                                                                

- Sea Fury                         

- Venom

- Auster                                                                                                                  

- Lysander

I put the Corsair first.  It would have separate outer wings, poseable folded or extended: no other kit has this.  Initially FAA (short) with a later issue of full span. Potential for later issue as ‘Dogfight Double’ with multiple FAA, USN, USMC, RNZAF marking options.

What do others think: remember it’s priced at £10.99 so no Scimitars or Manchesters nor indeed my hope, an Avenger with folding wings

• Like 3

Your last three choices @Denford are just too good to be true, so for the sake of keeping this realistic and not allowing me to get too excited, I’d say the Sea Fury is also a probable chance alongside your Corsair. Don’t get me wrong, a 1/72 SF would still thrill me no end. 
Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, trickydicky210 said:

How about a P39 Airacobra as a starter kit?

something slightly different, plenty of schemes and I don’t believe there is a good modern tool of one in the mainstream market 

That could work if they did a P-63 Pinball scheme- one colour would be appealing and simple for kids I guess?

At the 2018 Scale Model World Airfix were asking for suggestions for new kits and I put down the following;

a Bristol Beaufort

a Lockheed Hudson

a 1/48 P-40E or P-40F.

Seeing as they've done the Beaufort I guess it's only a matter of time till the other two make an appearance.

You can thank me later.

• Haha 4

Having watched most of the Hornby model world Programmes along with many of us, it has been noted that kits of the F35 and P38 by MENG and Tamiya were present in the Airfix development area. I also noticed that the Eduard Tempest was also present, so Airfix clearly look at other kits when making their own, so I am very confident that we will see a F35B and a P38 soon probably 1/48 and 1/72 respectively.  I did notice that there was a small F35 as well, which would tie into the 3D print version which Airfix use. Expect the ITAR issue will be raised. But can’t see why if they issued a Quickbuild and others have issued kits.

Elsewhere Airfix have been spotted LiDAR scanning a scimitar and have made visits to various locations announced on their Facebook page 

RAF Cosford ( showing a Tornado) - true subject?? Jaguar has been mooted?

RAF museum Hendon    (Showing an Albatross) true subject??? 

Portsmouth Naval Base on board a T45 Destroyer, pic shows theQEC or POW in the background, so that might be the subject matter, could be an update to the current kit ( can’t think why as PIP has not been fitted yet) maybe a 1/600 T45? Or they were looking at a Merlin or Wildcat)? 

Bournemouth Aviation museum (looking at a Vulcan nose section) could be for a Vulcan kit update next year or ??? 

The visits are clearly not going to be the obvious choices shown for 2022 kits.

So time to have an educated guess

When Airfix designer Paramjit was on the Flory Models Live show a few months back and I suggested in the YouTube chat that Airfix would probably do a Tornado I thought that just for a second he blinked faster than normal and seemed unusually flustered.

Just saying...

😏

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, trickydicky210 said:

How about a P39 Airacobra as a starter kit?

something slightly different, plenty of schemes and I don’t believe there is a good modern tool of one in the mainstream market 

An aircraft sadly neglected in 1/72 scale. Or better, there are well designed but inaccurate kits (Academy) and accurate but short run kits (RS) but no kit bringing together god shapes and modern details and mould quality

4 hours ago, trickydicky210 said:

Elsewhere Airfix have been spotted LiDAR scanning a scimitar

Has it been confirmed it was Airfix?  I don't think it has, there's a lot of wishful thinking that it is.

• Like 1

Definitely NOT Airfix.  

First the likelyhood their tooling it has been comprehensively discussed and rejected here in BM.

Secondly the photo at the source of the speculation, shows an operative wearing a jacket with the logo of the organisation undertaking the work.

a) Airfix do their own scanning

b) If they did, they would not be so indiscreet as to allow such a photo to be taken and\or published.