AIRFIX 2022 rumours/thoughts/chat thread...

TEXANTOMCAT

14 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

Beware of the programme's simplifications.  The Lidar data was done on Duxford's TT Mk.35.  The programme showed a study of one of the DH Museum's Mosquitos - they have either three or four, I'm not quite sure.  So it was not all done on a single example.

There's certainly a message about the need to integrate properly two sets of information: the kit has ended up with bits from the TT which were clearly not visible on the bomber he was looking at and actually modelling.  I suspect the problem here is the human failing (we've all done it) that if you don't know what to look for, then you won't see it.  When you know it's there (or not there, in this case) then it's obvious.

There's a lot more I'd have liked to have seen.  The reasons behind the choice of subject over other possibilities.  The steps between the Lidar and the CAD and the actual model parts.  However if Airfix don't make the tools themselves, then this falls outside the boundaries of the programme.  And the hand of the scriptwriter at times fell heavily.  Was preparing the Mosquito a "unique problem"?  The answer is in the plural, and they bounce.  How did it differ from the Blenheim, for example?  Or any other of the recent releases.

The Duxford one whilst in TT marking is

minus its towing attachment in the bomb bay

Mosquito

Trevor

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

Was preparing the Mosquito a "unique problem"?  The answer is in the plural, and they bounce.  How did it differ from the Blenheim, for example?  Or any other of the recent releases.

The Vulcan has similar errors and iirc the sabre has as well. Details overlooked because they rely too much on LiDAR

You can probably strike off a Fairey Battle from Airfix any time soon, looks like Azur-FFROM have just announced three new boxes for 2022. 
http://www.frrom.com/index.php?page=frrom-fr0046-2

Cheers.. Dave. 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

You can probably strike off a Fairey Battle from Airfix any time soon, looks like Azur-FFROM have just announced three new boxes for 2022. 
http://www.frrom.com/index.php?page=frrom-fr0046-2

Cheers.. Dave. 

Why would that stop Airfix, if they have one in the pipeline?

2 hours ago, Ratch said:

Why would that stop Airfix, if they have one in the pipeline?

Dent in prospective sales perhaps? 

Now if a Battle is well advanced and was going to be one of their showcase 2022 releases, then they’d probably go ahead with it, however if its still just one of those possible ‘penciled in’ suggestions, perhaps they would reconsider and direct their attention to another subject. Although I do very much like the Fairey Battle, its not in the same category as some of your typical ‘gift purchases’ which seem to tick the boxes for the decision makers at Hornby Co. 

Cheers.. Dave 

9 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Dent in prospective sales perhaps? 

Now if a Battle is well advanced and was going to be one of their showcase 2022 releases, then they’d probably go ahead with it, however if its still just one of those possible ‘penciled in’ suggestions, perhaps they would reconsider and direct their attention to another subject. Although I do very much like the Fairey Battle, its not in the same category as some of your typical ‘gift purchases’ which seem to tick the boxes for the decision makers at Hornby Co. 

Cheers.. Dave 

TOP SECRET

AIRFIX SUBJECT DECISION CRITERIA

1.  Does it have elliptical wings ?

• Haha 5

I discussed the subject of whether another manufacturer bringing out or having a kit of a certain subject in their catalogue with one of Airfix's designers at a show a couple of years back, his response was that if they felt that they could do a better job, they would still do it. 

This would suggest that if Airfix had a Battle in their plans, the Azur-FFrom release of a Battle would be looked at and if Airfix thought they could do better, it wouldn't put them off releasing their own kit.

Anyway, enough of this talk of the Battle, I wish to remind you of the list of potential subjects in this excellent post...

• Like 1

I wonder if anyone from Airfix reads Britmodeller and is now having a quiet giggle over the musings set forth in in this thread. At present they will be looking at what they will do in 2023, providing, off course, that Mr Kohler hasn't given all the money to his beloved trains. 

In view of the disruption caused by the pandemic, is it going to be rebox time. Eg new decals for the Mosquito (as a TT35 is time) or bring back the 1/72nd Spitfire 22 with new decals? Anyway it is only a bout six or seven weeks before we find out. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Mr T said:

providing, off course, that Mr Kohler hasn't given all the money to his beloved trains. 

Last we heard, the kit business part was doing rather well. I wonder if the Hornby rail part is featuring more because it needs a bit of support ;)

I had heard that as well. I don't enough about the economics of Kit production versus model railways. I do know that production numbers for some locos are really quite small and this is reflected in the price, which in soms cases would keep in me in kits for a couple of years. Hornby seemed to suffer real supply chain problems even before the pandemic owing to issues with the factories they use in China. Some of their new models are sold out on preorders before they are even released. A look on a model railway forum like RMWeb, will see some degree of frothing and gnashing of teeth. 

3 hours ago, alt-92 said:

Last we heard, the kit business part was doing rather well. I wonder if the Hornby rail part is featuring more because it needs a bit of support ;)

Glad to read this.  However (from Airfix themselves) even the very smallest subject takes a year to tool, so wouldn't expect any increase in output (if they do so decide) for a while and certainly not next year.

24 minutes ago, mps02 said:

So I take it nothing came out of Telford regarding hints about next year? The anticipation is reminding me of decades ago!!! 

Why would it? Airfix didn't have a stand. I did have several chats with them but nothing was announced.

How about a Mosquito TT.35?  That should be easy enough for them. 

Better still, how about a Mosquito B.XVI correction set?  I mean, they did release a new bomb bay kit for the Valiant PR.1.  Of course it might be a difficult sell.  The Valiant kit was to provide for an dditional version whereas the Mosquito kit would be so that you could actually build the version you thought you'd bought. 

Edited by Meatbox8
  • Haha 5

I'm guessing that the Fokker E.III and Be2 didnlt sell too well as they seem to have given up on WWI subjects.  A pity as an FE2 and AW FK.8 would be most welcome.  As far as I am aware the FK.8 has only been kitted by Pegasus, years ago, and the FE2 never (in the proper scale) which is surprising considering it reputedly brought down both Immelmann and von Richthofen. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Meatbox8 said:

I'm guessing that the Fokker E.III and Be2 didnlt sell too well as they seem to have given up on WWI subjects.  A pity as an FE2 and AW FK.8 would be most welcome.  As far as I am aware the FK.8 has only been kitted by Pegasus, years ago, and the FE2 never (in the proper scale) which is surprising considering it reputedly brought down both Immelmann and von Richthofen. 

Almost. There was a vacform of the FK8 by Roseplane, and a Formaplane vac of the FE2b. There was also a very good resin production of the latter by Plum Blossom. The Formaplane kit is easy enough to find, the Roseplane less so, and Plum Blossom I've never seen.

Paul.

I think its time I re-submitted my plans for a proper WWII Watch office (Control Tower) to Airfix  and perhaps also the couple of building associated with the Watch office . . . 

Would make a great back drop for any small scale aeroplane plus the numerous vehicles that you might find alongside  . . . .

Any support out there from you guys ???

• Like 5

18 hours ago, Meatbox8 said:

whereas the Mosquito kit would be so that you could actually build the version you thought you'd bought. 

I've had people verbally assaulting me for saying something similar. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Beermonster1958 said:

Or, perhaps more due to the perceived "difficulties" in building biplanes?

(Yes, I know the Fokker was a monoplane......! 😉😊).

I'm not a huge WWI fan myself but, I occasionally dabble and, they certainly do make very attractive subjects.

I have the Roden Zeppelin -  Staaken and, Gotha kits! I'd personally welcome a  Vickers Vimy, Handley Page 0/100 and, new 0/400 but, I'm sensible enough to  realise I'm just fantasising here! 😉😂

John

I think you are a very brave modeller to take on the Roden Zeppelin-Staaken. Jusr getting their lozenge decals to adhere is too much of a challenge for me.  Roden are one of the few manufacturers of which I bought a kit which ended up in the bin.  A 1/72 Fokker D.VII to be precise.  Their SE5a is pretty good though, albeit a bit over-engineered.

In any event I doubt we will see a new 1/72 WWI kit from Airfix any time soon.  Maybe a 1/48th Brisfit though.  No good for me in that scale, however. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, alt-92 said:

I've had people verbally assaulting me for saying something similar. 

Strange, no?  An absolute howler from Airfix and no excuse for such inaccuracies and yet they seem to have got off lightly, especially with the kit's ratings on their website.  The errors hardly get a mention 🤔  As for those wing spars.....

Normally I wouldn't be so bothered but a two-stage Mosquito was right at the top of my wishlist and had been for years.