AIRFIX 2022 rumours/thoughts/chat thread...

TEXANTOMCAT

6 minutes ago, Denford said:

The point I was trying to make is just because it is announced that so-and-so is tooling a particular subject (usually to be released in the next 12 months) it doesn't mean that somebody else isn't also working on it too.

Remember it takes 12 months to tool the very smallest subject, and I'm surprised that 'duplication' doesn't happen more often!  The Shackleton (Airfix and Revell) is an obvious example, but what happened to the 2 Stage 1/72 Mosquito that an east European manufacturer (I forget who) was working on too?

There were two 2-stage Mosquitos announced by Czech companies.  The AZ one has since gone quiet but the Special Hobby one is apparently nearing issue.

I would agree that given the apparent shrinking in "suitable" subjects for the general market, that duplication is inevitable, between major producers.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Denford said:

Remember it takes 12 months to tool the very smallest subject, and I'm surprised that 'duplication' doesn't happen more often!  The Shackleton (Airfix and Revell) is an obvious example, but what happened to the 2 Stage 1/72 Mosquito that an east European manufacturer (I forget who) was working on too?

Special Hobby, still in their plans apparently. 

I know that IBG were in the process of bringing out their 1/35 Scammell kits when Thunder Models beat them to it for the Pioneer Tank Transporter. 

Agree that this is going to become more common with the increase of manufacturers 

I personally would certainly have no issue with Airfix announcing a Venom kit even though AccGB have already shown us their Venom sprues. The chances of my LHS stocking AccGB is virtually nil, whilst the Airfix product will usually arrive within two months of its initial  UK release.date. Quality control issues aside, I would hazard to guess the Airfix kit would also fit typically well, whilst AccGB is an unknown company to me. 
The more the merrier I say! 
Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Robert said:

On the Airfix Twitter page it says they were at Cosford at the weekend and with a picture of a Tornado with lots of open panels 🤔

Lots of Jaguars out there....

• Like 1

8 hours ago, cmatthewbacon said:

Alternatively, perhaps Simon Kohler has taken note of feedback from the likes of us, asked the designers to up their game, and the Eduard Tempest is there as a reference bar to be cleared…

best,

M.

Paramjit has spoken on the Flory Models channel a few times about how Eduard has set the benchmark when it comes to tooling. They know.

20 hours ago, PhantomBigStu said:

And maybe to properly extrapolate and speculate in the spirit of this section it actually means instead of doing their own 1/72 as been long rumour Eduard are going to just rebox Airfixs with nice bits and plenty of decal options

Maybe they should try issuing the 1/35th Cromwell under their banner and have a go at correcting the wheels. Nah!! Too much to expect.

John.

On 11/10/2021 at 12:20 PM, Caerbannog said:

I am hoping for:

1:48 Sea King

1:48 Puma

1:48 Hamden

1:48 Venom

1:48 Scimitar

1:48 Spey Phantom (I cannot believe they still did not release this)

And retoolings of

1:48 Fury

1:72 Concorde

1:144 Space Shuttle

If they are to release something in 1:24 a Sea Fury could get me very interested.

All of these would put my wallet under stress but I can sleep well 🙂

Anyone know what a Hamden is?😆

Selwyn

• Haha 1

Bearing in mind that the 2022 releases Will be the first of 2 - 3 years of R&D, manufacturing and shipping issues related to COVID, possibly the number of releases might be lower than in previous years. 2022 might be bulked out by more Vintage releases and perhaps by another link up such as that which launched the 1:35 scale AFV's.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paul821 said:

Bearing in mind that the 2022 releases Will be the first of 2 - 3 years of R&D, manufacturing and shipping issues related to COVID, possibly the number of releases might be lower than in previous years. 2022 might be bulked out by more Vintage releases and perhaps by another link up such as that which launched the 1:35 scale AFV's.

How does producing and shipping Vintage Classics (much as I'd like to see them) avoid the majority of issues posed by Covid? I'd have thought R&D was the least affected part of the operation, so the major stumbling blocks remain (excuses if that seems overly gloomy. I just got up and the first coffee is only halfway down my neck).

Paul.,

From what we’ve seen from Airfix’s minimal 2021 release date slippage, their distribution issues might actually be a thing of the past. I’ve been really impressed by the prompt release of all their 2021 new tools, with only the 1/72 Tempest appearing to have slipped slightly into early 2022. Hopefully they’ve got their act together and we might even see an increase in new tool announcements for next year. 
Cheers… (always the positive).. Dave 

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, Beermonster1958 said:

Airfix might expand the link up to Academy

One possible problem here is that Academy kits are now distributed in the UK by Bachmann - Hornby Hobbies main competitor. I think the Bachmann link up started in 2019 so the Airfix AFV deal might have been signed earlier.

• Like 1

Just watching the latest Hornby show and as well as the Eduard Tempest there is a box of a MENG F35 next to one of the young designers, it of course maybe there as part of the Quick build research but could point to a new tool of the Navy’s new harrier?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Paul821 said:
9 hours ago, Beermonster1958 said:

One possible problem here is that Academy kits are now distributed in the UK by Bachmann - Hornby Hobbies main competitor

The key word being distributor.

To my knowledge there's no manufacturing link between Academy & Bachmann (or Pocketbond who Bachmann purchased) so it's unlikely to affect Airfix purchasing direct from Academy.

If anything was to go sour between Academy & Bachmann there's a potential distributor in waiting.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, trickydicky210 said:

Just watching the latest Hornby show and as well as the Eduard Tempest there is a box of a MENG F35 next to one of the young designers, it of course maybe there as part of the Quick build research but could point to a new tool of the Navy’s new harrier?

They've frequently stated they keep an eye out for other ways of doing things by looking at how other manufacturers approach engineering questions. 
Might actually be an advantage to having modellers designing kits, as shown with the Mossie. 

48 minutes ago, alt-92 said:

Might actually be an advantage to having modellers designing kits, as shown with the Mossie.

I totally agree and its nice to hear that various kit parts have been designed with the modeller 100% in mind. Going forward I would like to see Airfix place slightly less faith in Lidar and allow the SME’s back in to study their CAD work during the design process. This will hopefully eliminate those small, but rather annoying errors which are starting to creep in on almost every new tool kit subject. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 6

23 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Going forward I would like to see Airfix place slightly less faith in Lidar

I agree. Now I'm sure we were only shown part of the process, but I think that Lidar (which I'm sure is a massive timesaver) should be used in conjunction with drawings and other reference material. In the show it appeared that a few photos were all that was used to supplement the Lidar data. And of course all this appears to have been done from a single restored example, which may itself have been subjected to all manner of 'modifications' during its restoration.

I would also have loved to have seen something on the actual mold making process.

Cheers

Colin

Beware of the programme's simplifications.  The Lidar data was done on Duxford's TT Mk.35.  The programme showed a study of one of the DH Museum's Mosquitos - they have either three or four, I'm not quite sure.  So it was not all done on a single example.

There's certainly a message about the need to integrate properly two sets of information: the kit has ended up with bits from the TT which were clearly not visible on the bomber he was looking at and actually modelling.  I suspect the problem here is the human failing (we've all done it) that if you don't know what to look for, then you won't see it.  When you know it's there (or not there, in this case) then it's obvious.

There's a lot more I'd have liked to have seen.  The reasons behind the choice of subject over other possibilities.  The steps between the Lidar and the CAD and the actual model parts.  However if Airfix don't make the tools themselves, then this falls outside the boundaries of the programme.  And the hand of the scriptwriter at times fell heavily.  Was preparing the Mosquito a "unique problem"?  The answer is in the plural, and they bounce.  How did it differ from the Blenheim, for example?  Or any other of the recent releases.

• Like 2

I have put my annual request into Airfix for:

1/24 Me262 (I can only hope) 

1/72 Stirling

1/72 B24

1/72 Avro Lincoln 

1/72(6) Sam Missile (New Tool) 

1/350 Queen Lizzie/ PoW

Vintage Classics

1/144 SR-N4 

1/72 Cessna o-2

• Like 1