AIRFIX 2022 rumours/thoughts/chat thread...

TEXANTOMCAT

Just thinking about what I'd like to see for next year again, new 1/72  kits at the same price point as the Spitfire Mk.1a and Bf109E. Maybe a Ki43, a Yak 1 or a Macci C.202.

Maybe in the price range just above, a Spitfire PR Type G or early Seafire if they must do another Spit

12 hours ago, Adam Poultney said:

Just thinking about what I'd like to see for next year again, new 1/72  kits at the same price point as the Spitfire Mk.1a and Bf109E. Maybe a Ki43, a Yak 1 or a Macci C.202.

Maybe in the price range just above, a Spitfire PR Type G or early Seafire if they must do another Spit

If aiming at that end of the market a P-47 is an obvious gap in the Airfix catalogue. A Yak or Lavochkin type are the others. If memory serves, Airfix didn’t do any French fighters so maybe something there too?

Trevor 

• Like 1

On Facebook Airfix have stated that they are at Bournemouth Aviation Museum, showing that they are in the Vulcan nose section. 

So maybe they are looking at some of the exhibits such as 

Sepecat Jaguar GR1

Jet Provost

Percival Provost

Meteor NF14

Harvard

Westland Wasp 

Westland Wessex 

BAE 125

there is a Vampire T11, Hunter F6 and a few odd ones, plus plenty of noses but don’t think they would be looking at those.

Would have thought the Wasp/ Wessex would be seen elsewhere 

Wonder which one(s) they were looking at. Probably too late for 2022, unless it’s additional info

Now that the Airfix Workbench feature is going weekly, and reading between the lines of last weeks edition plus the fact they arent going to Telford , I have a feeling that there might not be a grandiose announcement of new items but more a drip feed of news (both new & retooled items) throughout the next few months, very much along the lines of last weeks piece on Sea Harrier planned for early next year. 

21 minutes ago, AntPhillips said:

Now that the Airfix Workbench feature is going weekly, and reading between the lines of last weeks edition plus the fact they arent going to Telford , I have a feeling that there might not be a grandiose announcement of new items but more a drip feed of news (both new & retooled items) throughout the next few months, very much along the lines of last weeks piece on Sea Harrier planned for early next year. 

Sea Harrier was announced in this years Jan announcement and was meant to be released this month. 

7 hours ago, AntPhillips said:

Disagree.  There may be a 'drip feed' of re-releases but the genuinely new will be announced, as in previous years, at the 'Toy Fair' (forget it's proper name) early January.  I expect they will be at Nuremberg (late Jan) too.

On 03/11/2021 at 12:16, trickydicky210 said:

A 1/48 Harrier is a good shout

Kinetic already have that market neatly sewn up. Unless you're referring to a GR5 or 7/9 - but Airfix don't really do anything modern.

17 hours ago, trickydicky210 said:

Westland Wasp 

That would be most welcome in 1/48!

I’ve tried to move away from the dreaming and instead ‘read’ the Airfix mind as to what they are likely to release in 2022: remember that they have probably been working on them for several years.  There’s diversification and who would ever have guessed the Austin Ambulance?  This makes prediction even harder than reading tea-leaves.

One can only be certain that there’ll be some aircraft.  I’ll guess about the same as this year, and nothing large, that being taken by the 1/24 Corsair not due a while yet.

We do know that as well as reliable data, there must be variety in markings, users and variants.  So no TSR2, Concorde, Stirling or Scimitar.

Prime position must surely be an A-20 Boston/Havoc for which no modern mainstream kit exists! Too soon for a Hampden.

And if the Walrus and Tiger Moth did well perhaps a 1/48 Dragon Rapide?

And what for the starter level to follow Spitfire V and Tempest?  I’ll put front-runners as Corsair, Lysander, Sea Hawk, Sea Fury, and Venom/Sea Venom.  My money (though not much) on the Corsair, with folding wings.  Initially clipped (FAA) with full span to follow.

Despite its wide use, the T-33 has been poorly represented.  Either 1/72 or 1/48.

And something roughly equivalent (kitwise) to the Beaufort?  I’m slipping into a dream by suggesting an Avenger, with folding wings….

Just thinking, how viable would a later Ju87 be in 1/72... they already have the early ones, and I don't believe a good kit exists of the later one. It would surely have to be an entirely new kit, but that's never stopped Airfix with Spitfires (a guaranteed seller though). A G variant with the big anti tank cannons would be interesting to see, I'd probably buy one just because.... big guns on a plane!

Edited by Adam Poultney

Just watched the latest New Hornby model world and after about 35 minutes there is a shot of the designer at his desk with a 1/48 F35 kit next to him, it’s next to a 1/72 mossie so I am sure it’s 1/48 and it’s not the quick build either. It may of course be from another make, but I would be certain we will see it in the 2022 kit release.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, trickydicky210 said:

Just watched the latest New Hornby model world and after about 35 minutes there is a shot of the designer at his desk with a 1/48 F35 kit next to him, it’s next to a 1/72 mossie so I am sure it’s 1/48 and it’s not the quick build either. It may of course be from another make, but I would be certain we will see it in the 2022 kit release.

An F-35 would make sense, given it’s likely to be in the RAF/RN inventory for the next 30 years or so.

• Like 2

On 10/14/2021 at 7:30 AM, TEXANTOMCAT said:

1/72 Lincoln - again there was the rumour going around it had been measured up...?

Pretty sure that Airfix would do a Halifax, Stirling, and Sunderland before they ever started on a Lincoln, not that I wouldn’t want to see one too. I’d think a PBY Catalina would take precedence over a Lincoln as well and the Hampden has to be higher on the list too.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Denford said:

Despite its wide use, the T-33 has been poorly represented.  Either 1/72 or 1/48.

I'd say that the 1/72 Platz kit is a pretty good base for a nice model of a T-33. Of course being Platz it's not something easily and cheapily available in Europe, although the Italeri rebox helped things for a while.

26 minutes ago, Beermonster1958 said:

With all due respect, I'd not personally thank them for an F-35. Plenty out there already.

Like it or not, it would be very strange for Airfix to ignore such a significant type for UK services - almost akin to saying don't bother with Spitfires or Hurricanes.

Cheers

Colin

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, ckw said:

Like it or not, it would be very strange for Airfix to ignore such a significant type for UK services - almost akin to saying don't bother with Spitfires or Hurricanes.

Cheers

Colin

Given they've added the F35 to their Quickbuild line-up already, I'm sure we'll see the type from Airfix in the future.

Although having noted that Italeri have the F35B coming as a new tool in 2021/2022 in 1/48, I'm doubtful we'd see it in anything other than 1/72...

44 minutes ago, Beermonster1958 said:

With all due respect, I'd not personally thank them for an F-35. Plenty out there already. 

Eh? In 1/48 there are the following:

F-35A: Meng; Kitty Hawk (unavailable)

F-35B: Italeri; Kitty Hawk (unavailable)

F-35C: Kitty Hawk (unavailable)

Given the paucity of F-35 kits, I'd thank Airfix greatly for a B or C 🙂

Jon

57 minutes ago, Beermonster1958 said:

Now, that WOULD be nice.  It was one of the best of the 70s kits. I still have one of the early issues complete with the swastikas!!

9e8c4fb54e1f19058174cf9bc90c39cd.jpg

And would be perfect if the Do17 STGB makes it onto the 2023 calendar! (we need all the votes we can get, it's VERY close!)

• Like 2