AIRFIX 2022 rumours/thoughts/chat thread...

TEXANTOMCAT

Here's a really off-the-wall thought, although I suspect it will never get done as it doesn't shoot or drop things that go "bang", and it's probably quite a niche market:

1:72 VC10, with options for as many variants as feasible, both RAF and civil.

Ah well, one can dream.

• Like 2

A nice 1/72 bulldog would be nice, both a new mould bristol bulldog ( please!!) and a scottish aviation one,  a new mould not a reissue. 

a fairey battle,  everyone seems to forget it, a new mould with markings for thomas grey VC.

maybe a reissue of hms iron duke

• Like 2

My annual fun post…

What I hope to see:

1/72

• Yak-9 
  • Spitfire XIV (c or e wing, standard or rear view)
  • Harvard (next trainer)
  • D3A (complete their Pearl Harbor trio)
  • TBD-1 Devastator
  • TBF-1 Avenger
  • Liberator (CC variant)
  • Stirling
  • Battle
  • Ju-88A-1 (complete the Luftwaffe BoB set)
  • Vulcan (Black Buck)

1/48 — Not my scale, so something that blows their socks off. 

Ship — HMS Queen Elizabeth in 1/350

What I expect to see:

Possibly a new single engine WW2 aircraft, a jet, a trainer, a heavy, and a few re-releases of newish tool kits from about 4-5 years ago.

Tim — who has enough kits to keep him busy for at least the next decade. 

• Like 1

A Battle would be nice, because of both its heroic struggles at the beginning of the war and its equally sterling work throughout the EATS. A much-overlooked aircraft - and Airfix's previous effort really wasn't all that good.

• Like 1

This thread has been extremely aircraft focused. Over the last couple of years Airfix have expanded their 1:72 and 1:35 ranges of vehicles. Without listing specific items I would be pleased to see more releases in the 1:72 range.

• Like 1

Just had the latest Airfix Model World arrive, complete with Calendar 

no new tool giveaways, but the Shooting Star is shown, so that looks like it’s going to be re-released in 2022 as a vintage kit.

• Like 5

On 10/29/2021 at 8:27 AM, Paul821 said:

This thread has been extremely aircraft focused. Over the last couple of years Airfix have expanded their 1:72 and 1:35 ranges of vehicles. Without listing specific items I would be pleased to see more releases in the 1:72 range.

I agree, but it's difficult to see where Airfix want to go with small-scale armour.  Are they planning to compete in the quick-build, wargame style market or do they want to produce more detailed display models? And have they even settled on a scale? I really liked the 1/76 Cromwell and Bedford QLD/QLT set, whereas the recent 1/72 Firefly and Tiger seem to be less refined products. But I'd certainly love to see some more small-scale AFVs from them, with the sort of options and detail now routine in their aircraft kits.    

My thoughts on this

1/350 Queen Elizabeth or

1/72 Avro Lincon

More likely to be 

1/72 Hampden

1/72 ju88

1/72 Avenger

Possible Vintage Classics

1/72 Shooting Star

1/144 SR. N4

1/600 HMS Iron Duke

1/76 German Mountain Troops

We shall see..... 

On 10/30/2021 at 12:48 PM, IanC said:

I agree, but it's difficult to see where Airfix want to go with small-scale armour.  Are they planning to compete in the quick-build, wargame style market or do they want to produce more detailed display models? And have they even settled on a scale? I really liked the 1/76 Cromwell and Bedford QLD/QLT set, whereas the recent 1/72 Firefly and Tiger seem to be less refined products. But I'd certainly I'd love to see some more small-scale AFVs from them, with the sort of options and detail now routine in their aircraft kits.    

Completely agree.  The Cromwell and Bedfords (1/76) were pretty good and an exciting portent for the future.  The more recent Firefly and Tiger (1/72) were dismal, showing little advance over what Airfix were achieving in the 1960s.  Wargames-quality models at "proper model" prices (and they are not even as good as the better wargames-quality models).  If that's the quality Airfix aspire to for their small scale AFVs, I'd say, "don't bother": others (Dragon, IBG, S-Model, Special Armour, Heller, Zvezda) will do the same subjects much better and maybe more cheaply.

Edited by Seahawk

Ref the small scale armour, I can't see Airfix or any other manufacturer going 1:76, unless it's an explicitly UK railway related subject.

Will there be any new 1:72 armour this year?  My fortune telling seaweed says 'No', but Luftwaffe related ground equipment is still making it feel wet. 

• Haha 1

Looking at the major gaps in the 1/72 WW2 market - the obvious ones as far as I can see are:

B-24 (especially Ford nose H/L versions)

P-38 (especially F/G/H)

Hudson/Venture family
Fairey Battle

Westland Whirlwind

Hampden

Manchester

I think we may eventually see a Stirling and Halifax but for now I’m more than happy with the Revell and Italeri boxing’s even if I have to use aftermarket on them. And let’s hope the Arma Hobby P-51B is the definitive one!

I have to say it is ridiculous in 2021 we still have no real modern P-38 F/G/H or B-24H so let’s hope!!

• Like 2

Airfix might turn their attention to some post-war RAF Transport Command subjects.  The VC-10 is mentioned above, but I also hope to see an Argosy, Beverley, Andover, and Britannia in 1:72 (perhaps not all in the same year!).  Zvezda have the Hercules covered.

Also on the wish list:

New Tool:

1:72

Jaguar one and two-seater

Scimitar

Wessex, Whirlwind, Puma, Chinook

Dominie, Jetstream

1:48

Beagle Basset

Harrier GR1/3/T2

• Like 1

On 10/29/2021 at 8:27 AM, Paul821 said:

If Airfix did decide to bestir themselves and actually try with their small-scale AFV kits, I would like to see a Valentine (only ancient Fujimi 1/76 and OOP ESCI/Italeri 1/72 as competition, opportunity to reissue with different frame to do a Bishop) or a retooled Churchill VII (with extra 95mm barrel for Mk.VIII).

Have you considered looking on the Milicast site?  There's a very wide range of resin 1/76 kits.  Some of the older ones are simplified but the modern ones are no less worthy modelling kits than the best Airfix.  And better than many older ones.  I think there's about eight different Valentine kits, not counting the Archer.  Although I didn't see a Bishop, it is a surprising omission and might be worth asking about.  Even more Churchills.  There are other sites with resin tanks, so you might find a Bishop elsewhere (almost certainly one somewhere).

No connection other than a satisfied customer with too many unmade ones already.

• Like 1

I think Airfix are trying to determine if there is a market for them in small scale AFVs, by trying the same approach as 1/35 I.e selling other makes kits in their boxes, they were going to sell some IBG kits which didn’t materialise ( think it was announced at 2020 new items). Whether they try again next year who knows? There is clearly a market for them, so why not.

Cant guess what they will produce in 1/72 or 1/48 ( other than variants of existing tools) I.e a different Mossie 

A 1/48 Harrier is a good shout, as is 1/72 P38 and B24, maybe a B29

Dont think they will go for anything big in 1/72 like a Beverley, Argosy etc can’t see that there would be a wide interest. 

With the Chippie, Tiger Moth, Gnat, they seem to have an interest in Trainers, maybe a 1/48 Jet Provost, Tucanno or an updated Hawk?? 

Only 2 months to go to find out whether we will be delighted or disappointed.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, trickydicky210 said:

I think Airfix are trying to determine if there is a market for them in small scale AFVs, by trying the same approach as 1/35 I.e selling other makes kits in their boxes, they were going to sell some IBG kits which didn’t materialise ( think it was announced at 2020 new items).

The latest Airfix 1/72 tanks are not someone else's kits.  I don't think the previously promised ones were IBG, either, but it would help if I could remember just who it was.  No-one I was familiar with.  I suspect that sales of the Cromwell and King Tiger may not have matched expectations so they have decided to abandon 1/76, and only keep a small interest in 1/72, much as they have abandoned 1/600 scale for the trendier 1/350 in warships.  20 years ago we were being told that 1/72 was only for kids and real modellers did 1/48 - thankfully that particular credo has been dumped but not before some decidedly inferior 1/72 offerings.  These things change in cycles, but I don't see a significant return to small scale AFVs, and certainly nothing beyond familiar standards.

On 25/10/2021 at 01:17, treker_ed said:

Airfix themselves have stated that the moulds are damaged/worn out hence why they are not releasing the 1/48 Buccaneer any more.

Not damaged or worn per se, but the design means that they are easily warped (especially with the softer plastic Airfix use) which means fit and assembly needs to be very carefully managed. Basically, they don't want to have 100s of kits returned as warped when it's an inherent fault of the design

1 hour ago, Graham Boak said:

The latest Airfix 1/72 tanks are not someone else's kits.  I don't think the previously promised ones were IBG, either, but it would help if I could remember just who it was. 

Those Scammells were strange, they appeared in the catalogue but not on any listings or on the Hornby page. And no-one from Airfix would comment on them.

1 hour ago, Graham Boak said:

20 years ago we were being told that 1/72 was only for kids and real modellers did 1/48 - thankfully that particular credo has been dumped but not before some decidedly inferior 1/72 offerings.  

One particular person rather than a credo - there is certainly a before and after for 1/72 around that time.

4 hours ago, Beermonster1958 said:

1/72 Antonov AN-12 would be nice. Massive choice of variants/markings etc. Won't happen of course!! Not from Airfix anyway. Come to that, I'm surprised Zvezda didn't produce an AN-12 instead of a C-130. Maybe next year?

A 1/72 An-12 is available from Roden

4 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

These things change in cycles, but I don't see a significant return to small scale AFVs, and certainly nothing beyond familiar standards.

I think you're right. If sales of the 1/72 Firefly and Tiger are good enough I can see them doing a Panther and T-34 perhaps, maybe even a Churchill, but beyond that who knows, but I'm not optimistic.