AIRFIX 2022 rumours/thoughts/chat thread...

TEXANTOMCAT

30 minutes ago, fightersweep said:

Or did you mean the Marina? I'd take either if they came back out, and as for the Maxi, I'd buy at least three.

It would sell Dave as me and you would buy them all up even if no one else did! I bet the moulds for that kit are still really good. It didn't exactly get many releases.

@fightersweep I think the Morris Marina would sell very well too:

Img_7015.jpg

I would buy a couple to go with this one which I bought for an arm and a leg last year. In fact it was my third most expensive purchase of a kit, EVER, which I am sure will mean Airfix will re-release it for peanuts!

Dave

54 minutes ago, IanC said:

I was fibbing Steve - they only go for tuppence ha'penny. But I'll be happy to pay you a few quid this time, if you're thinking of selling one....😄

PM me a sensible offer, and see if you can twist my arm 😉 Got a couple of mint ones in a Type 5 and 6 box.

50 minutes ago, davecov said:

I would buy a couple to go with this one which I bought for an arm and a leg last year. In fact it was my third most expensive purchase of a kit, EVER, which I am sure will mean Airfix will re-release it for peanuts!

I bet the Marina did cost a pretty penny Dave! I'd love any of these 1/32 Airfix "Bread and Butter" cars, but I couldn't justify paying hundreds for them. I'll keep my fingers crossed that your financial sacrifices will prompt Airfix to re-issue them 🤣

I've mentioned this before, but when I was in the trade, I got the annual invite to the Airfix catalogue trade launch were we got to be wined and dined by Hornby and then pre-order all our stock. In the bar the previous evening I got to have a long chat with Darrell Burge and suggested they re-release the 1/32 cars. He didn't think they'd sell and thought it unlikely. I even suggested gift sets and "Classics" boxings, but couldn't sway him. (Then again, he also didn't realise that Airfix had ever boxed an Eagle Transporter) That was a few years ago, and since then, we've had Airfix launch a "Classic" range and we've now seen the Beach Buggy and soon the Jaguar make a re-appearance. Hopefully, we'll see some more IF Airfix think we'll buy Marinas, Maxis and BMC 1100s again. Maybe we should email them and badger them.

Steve

• Like 1

Hello chaps. 

This may have been mentioned already but what about a Blenheim mkiv in 1:48 to go with the very nice mk1?

Ill go back and sit in the corner now. 

James 

1 hour ago, davecov said:

Img_7015.jpg

Dave

If only the mould hadn't been damaged 😪 

1 hour ago, Ratch said:

I hadn't realised the Marina mould had been damaged, Ratch. Still, I must make the one in the stash if only to annoy the collectors.

Dave

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, davecov said:

I hadn't realised the Marina mould had been damaged, Ratch. Still, I must make the one in the stash if only to annoy the collectors.

Dave

I think it was the mould left out and rusted :oops:

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, Ratch said:

Ratch

Would you know which moulds are damaged?

I have heard that the Sam Missile and 1/48 Buccaneer Tools are damaged, but not aware of any others.

Thanks Rich

1 hour ago, trickydicky210 said:

Ratch

Would you know which moulds are damaged?

I have heard that the Sam Missile and 1/48 Buccaneer Tools are damaged, but not aware of any others.

Thanks Rich

I don't have a list per se, but things like this are recorded on a spreadsheet I have. The SAM missile tool was lost when sent to New Zealand. I'm not aware of the Buccaneers being damaged.

5 hours ago, davecov said:

Img_7015.jpg

Dave

Is that an accurate depiction of a Marina ?  It doesn't have a dropped grand piano on top of it....

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, Ratch said:

I don't have a list per se, but things like this are recorded on a spreadsheet I have. The SAM missile tool was lost when sent to New Zealand. I'm not aware of the Buccaneers being damaged.

Airfix themselves have stated that the moulds are damaged/worn out hence why they are not releasing the 1/48 Buccaneer any more.

If Airfix are sensible they will use everything from the 48th Buccaneer as a reference of how not to build a kit, then start from scratch and create a proper one in The Correct Scale. We need one since Tanmodel have given up (by the looks of it).

Also, an Avro Arrow.

F-35B while they are at it (1:48th natch!)

11 hours ago, treker_ed said:

Airfix themselves have stated that the moulds are damaged/worn out hence why they are not releasing the 1/48 Buccaneer any more.

Oh yes, I noted it in the ATF History of Airfix Kits

2015 Airfix state: Inherent quality problem with the fuselage mouldings.

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/airfixtributeforum/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=1522

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/airfixtributeforum/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=1520

8 minutes ago, Ratch said:

Oh yes, I noted it in the ATF History of Airfix Kits

2015 Airfix state: Inherent quality problem with the fuselage mouldings.

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/airfixtributeforum/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=1522

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/airfixtributeforum/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=1520

Which is a really good reason to bring out a new 1/48 kit of the Buc. 

I'll have 10 now.

Dick

A 1/48 Bucc would be a good move and Airfix do seem to up scale some of new tools, (Defiant, Gnat, Blenheim etc) so why not. I wonder if it’s a risk adverse approach put the cheapest version out first and see if it sells, then go for the larger version if it makes the right criteria 

So in that case I hope we will get a new 1/48 SeaKing 

21 hours ago, Ratch said:

I think it was the mould left out and rusted :oops:

How singularly appropriate given the subject matter. Couldn’t Airfix just sell as moulded in weathering for realism? :D

• Haha 2

Ok so before having read anything said in the thread......

I have a feeling the flagship model may be a 1/72 WW2 bomber. Logically, given what Airfix and other manufacturers have made, I'd expect a Halifax or Stirling, but I could also see them doing a B24 (and I would not complain at that even though I would rather have a British heavy). A Manchester would be a very nice surprise, and I think it would sell very well (better than the Whitley I would imagine due to its relation to the Lancaster). I don't think the lack of surviving examples is an issue as they went ahead with the Whitley, and a Lancaster has a lot in common with a Manchester so a lot of that can be used for reference.

Other things I expect are likely:

1/72 Javelin. We've wanted a new one for years, I think it would sell decently well if it's a good kit, and Airfix seem to be doing a good number of British (or British operated) Cold War jets now. Buccaneer, Vulcan, Phantom, Victor, Swift, reissued Valiant. This is a logical one to add to the lineup.

1/72 Sea Vixen FAW.2 - along the same lines of thinking as the Javelin. In need of an accurate modern kit (Revell reissued the flawed Cyberhobby one). I'd expect to see an FAW.2 because Airfix tend to go with later variants of cold war stuff where it may be difficult to add earlier ones (Buccaneer S2, Vulcan B2, Victor B2R/SR2/K2). However, Cyberhobby managed to get both an FAW.1 and FAW.2 out of their kit so Airfix could surely do the same if they wanted to (I don't really mind which variant personally, I like them both equally but differently, however it would be nice to see an early variant since we had the Buccaneer S2 and Vulcan B2 recently).

1/72 Vulcan B2 rebox for Black Buck - 40th anniversary, and the kit was intended for release in November 2020 so it would have been out for just under a year and a half by April when I would expect this, had everything gone to plan. It's a bit short of a turn around time for a big kit like this but it makes sense, they have clearly made the parts for it as there are flashed over holes to drill to add the pylons for Black Buck. I hope they include parts for both the regular 1000lb bomb carrying and Shrike Missile carrying configurations, and given the amount of shared markings, would it be too much to ask for four schemes in the box to cover all four Vulcans that were selected for Black Buck (XM597, XM598, XM607 and XM612, if you know your Vulcans you'll know these are all survivors)? Maybe even a fifth scheme for XL391 as the spare. It wouldn't require much more than a few extra serials.

If not the Black Buck Vulcan, then Vulcan B2.MRR/K2 and XH558 - As XH558 is an ex-MRR and K2 it has legacy features of both variants so it would make sense for it to be in this version. K2 and B2.MRR would be super nice to see and the kit could cater for both easily enough. Given that we got Victor K2s and SR2s in one box, I wouldn't be surprised if they do the same for Vulcans. It would also be a good reason to use the 201/202 jetpipes in the kit. Maybe more of a 2023/2024 one though as I find Black Buck far more likely.

1/48 Anson - we haven't seen any 1/48 WW2 twins since the Blenheim right? An Anson might make sense. Not really my cup of tea though so I think I'd give that one a miss.

My wishlist, with any ideas of reality or business sense out the window, some may make more sense for Airfix to do than others:

1/72

Vulcan B1/B1a

Victor B1/B1a/K1/K1a/B1a(K.2P)

Vulcan B2.MRR/K2

Vulcan B2/B2.MRR early (narrow intakes) 

Victor B.Mk.2 (needs new outer wing sections amongst other major changes from the B2R)

A late Sea Venom

New Canberra

Do17E/F retool

Do217 (just not a super ugly variant because some of them were really not pretty)

Bf109A/B/C/D

Avro Manchester

Avro Lincoln

Javelin (whatever variant)

Sea Vixen FAW.1 or FAW.2

Buccaneer S1

1/48

well I don't really build much in this scale so whatever makes people happy

1/24 as with 1/48

• Like 5

On 14/10/2021 at 17:59, Beermonster1958 said:

Vulcan B1/B1A

Victor B1

I would love to see the same, but I put them into my unrealistic wish list

On 15/10/2021 at 02:22, Admiral Puff said:

. And, looking at the B.2 kit, a Vulcan B.1A is not beyond the realms of possibility - two new frames for the wings, replacing Frames A and B in the present release, plus a supplementary frame with the early tail cone and early undercarriage, and that's about it. Pretty well everything else is there now

Without having my kit at hand, a B1 or B1a would not be as easily made as this.

As you've said, wings and gear would need replacing. The tailcone is fine for a B1a, it's a B1 it needs replacing for (and there needs to be two versions of the B1 tail). 

But you'd also need to replace the intakes, the internal frame of the wings, the jetpipes, parts E38 and E39, the tailfin itself for a B1, the nose (although the tooling could be modified so that the slots for the pitots and other aerials are flashed over), all the control surfaces on the wings. You'd also have to add the air scoop for under the left side of the nose. Once you've done all of that, might as well make a new kit. 

On 15/10/2021 at 20:35, 3DStewart said:

Airfix seem to have had a surprising interest in early cold war Soviet types recently.  It wouldn't surprise me if a Mig-21 was to appear in the next couple of years.

Or maybe a Mig19?

On 16/10/2021 at 01:13, TheyJammedKenny! said:

Yes to a Black Buck Vulcan B.2, and possibly a reappearance of the Nimrod MR.2, but with wing-mounted sidewinders?

Nimrod reissue is a good shout especially since they did the Valiant reissue so they're not afraid to reissue big flawed kits from that time

On 16/10/2021 at 09:34, Beermonster1958 said:

Why do modellers equate  :"it's the (insert) anniversary of (insert) next year", with production of hypothetical models?

Just curious. 😉

I think at least with the Vulcan it makes sense, given the coincidental timing of the initial release and the fact that there are obvious provisions in the kit for Black Buck stuff. If I were Airfix and going to do that anyway, I'd jump on the chance to align it with the anniversary.

On 18/10/2021 at 13:00, Greg B said:

Ju 52

Ju 88

Two very good ideas! Yes please!

On 24/10/2021 at 18:48, Jb65rams said:

1/48 Supermarine Scimitar

This but in 1/72

• Like 1

Ten years ago I'd have been joining in the clamour for 1:72  Sea Vixen, Scimitar & Sea Venom.

But I've built other manufacturer's kits of these subjects since.

As a general rule I don't go back and revisit a subject unless I really messed it up first time round.

On 10/24/2021 at 1:55 PM, Ratch said:

The 1/600 SS France mold is also missing.