AIRFIX 2022 rumours/thoughts/chat thread...

TEXANTOMCAT

14 hours ago, fightersweep said:

I want to see the BMC 1100, Austin Maxi and Morris Marina released as a BMC/Austin/Morris/Leyland gift set emblazoned with British Leyland's "Plughole of Doom" logo. It will come with Glue, brush, pots of specially formulated acrylic beige and baby sick green, a set of stick on Peter Wyngarde side burns and moustache and a facsimile trade union card. I would buy many, many sets if Airfix did this in the Classics range and I could happily re-live my youth of three day weeks, blackouts and piled up rubbish. Think of the diorama possibilities!

Steve 

But how would they replicate the oil leaks and the smoke from the electrics?

8 hours ago, Admiral Puff said:

But how would they replicate the oil leaks and the smoke from the electrics?

Humbrol enamel oil stain wash for the leaks, but the smoke will be sold separately with the 1/32 picket line support set.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

Ah, the wonderful Maxi. If you loose your key, don't worry, just ask another Maxi owner.....his will fit!

(Ask me how I know).

I well remember! My Dad had a Maxi that I was allowed to use when I passed my test. In the case of a lost key, door locks and ignition could also by used utilising any item of kitchen cutlery or sometimes even just an extra hard Paddington Bear stare did the trick.

Joking aside though, I would love Airfix to re-release the Maxi in the Classics range. Unfortuantely, they don't think it would sell.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, fightersweep said:

I well remember!

Many years ago, when my daughter was about thirteen, we'd been shopping and had parked the Maxi in the multistory. When we came back, from shopping we found the car, and I opened the door with the key, and we got in. I put the key in the ignition and was just about to start it when my daughter said, "Dad. This isn't our car". I looked around it and nothing was familiar. I got out of the car and there half a dozen cars back, was ours. Same colour (yes, that blue colour). If Maxi's had been worth anything, I could have made a fortune selling spare parts, but it was after all.....a Maxi.

John.

• Haha 2

19 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

Many years ago, when my daughter was about thirteen, we'd been shopping and had parked the Maxi in the multistory. When we came back, from shopping we found the car, and I opened the door with the key, and we got in. I put the key in the ignition and was just about to start it when my daughter said, "Dad. This isn't our car". I looked around it and nothing was familiar. I got out of the car and there half a dozen cars back, was ours. Same colour (yes, that blue colour). If Maxi's had been worth anything, I could have made a fortune selling spare parts, but it was after all.....a Maxi.

John.

That reminds me of a mate who went to Bulgaria on holiday and hired a white Lada. Parked up in an empty car park and when he came back it was full of...  yep white Lada's! Said it took him over an hour to find his! 😀

Regards,

Steve

• Haha 2

New in 1/72nd:

Canberra B.2/6

Lightning F.1/3

Javelin

Venom FB.1/4

Hawker Hind family

Harvard IIb (yes I know there's the Special Hobby kit, I have several but a kit that takes the emphasis out of me making the relevant cuts in the right place without cocking things up would be very welcome)

Lysander series

Hunter T.7

F-84F

Slat Wing Sabre E

In 1/48th:

Meteor two seaters

Slat wing Sabre (technically a variation on the current mould)

• Like 5

Despite a number of reasonable attempts down the years by different kit manufacturers, I don't think any kit has the Sepecat Jaguar quite right, certainly not in 1/72.  Capturing its pressence, with its combination of delicacy of design, with purposeful aggression I think would really benefit from 3D scanning, which always seems to me to add an indefinable quality to the end product. I think it would be a good fit in the Airfix line-up and there must be numerous readily available and accessible airframes to provide subject matter.

I am feeling increasingly confident that Airfix will treat us to a Jag sooner rather than later.  Almost certainly  this would be in British Jaguar S (GR1/3) guise, but with careful research/forward planning I am sure Airfix could accomodate the differences for a Jaguar A, French Air Force version. With exports to India, Oman, Ecuador and Nigeria there would be no shortage of colour scheme options and the aircraft has been in numerous conflicts with military operations in Mauritania, Chad, Iraq, Bosnia, and Pakistan. As well as providing a nuclear delivery platform for the UK, France, and India throughout the latter half of the Cold War and beyond. 

It seems a popular choice in this thread too (no real indicator...:rofl:). Scale? Probably 1/72, but no complaints if it was 1/48.

Rich 

Edited by RichG
  • Like 5

I have given up making wishlists although I would love to see an HMS Queen Elizabeth aircraft carrier model, no matter the scale!

However, my purchase record of second hand Airfix kits is a good barometer of what to expect each year. Last year I bought the following Airfix oldies for more than a few bob:

Beach Buggy
Jaguar 420
Prototype Concorde
Fieseler Storch
Henschel Hs123A-1
HS 121 Trident 1C
Panzer IV
Savoia-Marchetti SM79
HS Dominie T.1
DUKW
Graf Spee
de Havilland Heron Mk.II
Wasa
Golden Hind
Maserati Indy

They were all re-released!

Others that I bought include:

Austin Maxi
Bond Bug
Morris Allegro
BHC SR.N4 Hovercraft
Sunbeam Rapier
Mercedes 280 SL
Renault Dauphine

Vauxhall Victor 2000 Estate
Ariel Arrow
BMW R69
BSA C15
Honda CB450
Leopard Tank
Chieftain Tank
Centurion Tank
Saunders Roe SR.53 Jet/Rocket Interceptor

Will any of them see the light of day? We will see....

Dave

• Like 2

I would like to see the Ariel Arrow and BSA C15 re-released as well Dave.  My first job after leaving school was at the BSA in Birmingham.  Worked in the gears production section and engines we produced were Bantams, C15's plus the Aerial Arrow.

Mike

• Like 2

My interests are as varied as my brain. 
Auto’s:

1/24 Ford Capri Mk.I 2000 waayyy overdue! While they’re at it, rerelease the 1/32 Capri Mk.I as a classic (possibly the molds were butchered for the “Krackle Kat” offering?

1/24 Triumph Spitfire Mk. IV-V

1/24 Triumph TR-6

1/24 MGB pre 74 (real bumpers)

Ships: The most famous Clipper Ship rivals:

1/120 Cutty Sark (Accurate)

1/120 Thermopylae (Accurate) Don’t pull the same stunt as Revell did years ago, Cutty Sark and Thermopylae are totally different from each other! Like a Mustang and a Camaro or a Spitfire and a 109….

Aircraft:

Continue with B-17’s in 1/72, an E/early F, EarlyG, Late F hopefully someone will do an aftermarket correction for their Cheyenne turret glazing, there’s a pear shaped window on top, right where the join lines are on the kit! Could also use replacement wingtips with no vents and single vents.

Do it in 1/48, HK is an abomination!

1/72 Dakota continuation, AC-47, EC47. R4D-5 etc.

1/72 and 1/48 Noorduyn Norseman, wheels,skiis, floats. The Modelcraft blow up of the Mashbox 1/72 kit in 1/48, only accentuates the glaring errors.

Choroszy Model Bud does a beautiful 1/72 Norseman, but not everyone is into resin kits.

Sci-Fi:

A new Angel Interceptor and associated craft from the Gerry Anderson stable.

Rerelease the 1/32 Spacemen! Just kidding 

And just like the lottery……maybe I get lucky 🍀 

Jeff

On 10/22/2021 at 11:15 AM, fightersweep said:

Joking aside though, I would love Airfix to re-release the Maxi in the Classics range. Unfortuantely, they don't think it would sell.

Don't go there, before you know it they'll be releasing an Austin Allegro !!!

41 minutes ago, IanHx said:

Don't go there, before you know it they'll be releasing an Austin Allegro !!!

My Father used to work for the British Leyland dealer here in Victoria back in the 70’s. The parts department actually sold bumper stickers that said, and I quote: “All parts seen falling off this car are of the finest British quality”, I used to see it every time I went down to drool over the E Types.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, davecov said:

How can such a beauty (!) as a Maxi not sell:

Img_6995.jpg

If Airfix don't re-release it, then I will be building this one next year.

Dave

Haha. My neighbour in Namao, had an Austin Marina that looks similar to that. It didn’t fare as well in the winter as my Spitfire, in spite of mine not being winterized. I built the Airfix Capri back in the 70’s, and the Bentley Blower in the 80’s. They do require modelling skills, but could be posed next to a 1/32 aircraft, to make the aircraft model look that much better.

• Like 1

On 10/22/2021 at 11:15 AM, fightersweep said:

I well remember! My Dad had a Maxi that I was allowed to use when I passed my test. In the case of a lost key, door locks and ignition could also by used utilising any item of kitchen cutlery or sometimes even just an extra hard Paddington Bear stare did the trick.

It  wasn't just Maxis!   We used to live by a green where people would picnic. It was fairly regular that people would knock on the door and say "my wife's (never themselves) locked the keys in the boot , can I phone my brother / father in law /RAC to bring the spare?"  They never once had to bother with the phone call as one or other of our family car keys would do the trick, even if we had BL cars and the victims had Ford or Vauxhall!  Whilst my Spitfire door could be unlocked with a screwdriver, I did replace the ignition lock so that was marginally more secure.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Wez said:

New in 1/72nd:

Canberra B.2/6

Lightning F.1/3

Javelin

Venom FB.1/4

Hawker Hind family

Harvard IIb (yes I know there's the Special Hobby kit, I have several but a kit that takes the emphasis out of me making the relevant cuts in the right place without cocking things up would be very welcome)

Lysander series

Hunter T.7

F-84F

Slat Wing Sabre E

In 1/48th:

Meteor two seaters

Slat wing Sabre (technically a variation on the current mould)

Thanks @Wez.
That’s probably THE best list of prospective kit subjects ever written. I personally would buy multiples of all of them. An easy build and accurate fishbowl Canberra must surely rate highly with almost endless re-boxing potential for years to come. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 2

On 10/22/2021 at 6:07 PM, feoffee2 said:

Would love to see the vintage classic range extended. 

Lysander 

Fiat G50

Walrus

Do17

Just to name a few I would like to see. 

The Fiat G-50 for sure. I've been trying to get one secondhand recently and they're not cheap. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, IanC said:

The Fiat G-50 for sure. I've been trying to get one secondhand recently and they're not cheap. 

Exactly

Some of the older kits are getting very expensive. I think if Airfix extended the vintage classic range with such kits, they would sell very well. 

6 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Thanks @Wez.
That’s probably THE best list of prospective kit subjects ever written. I personally would buy multiples of all of them. An easy build and accurate fishbowl Canberra must surely rate highly with almost endless re-boxing potential for years to come. 

Cheers.. Dave 

You're welcome Dave, I just hope that some of those come to fruition.

• Like 1

Scaling up of some of the 1/72 kits. There is a history here.

Beaufighter

Jet Provost

Typhoon

Mig 17

Buccaneer

Phantom

Me262

Just a thought.

Dick

9 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Thanks @Wez.

Cheers.. Dave 

As it tallies closely with my list, I wholeheartedly agree! 😊

23 hours ago, davecov said:

Austin Maxi
Bond Bug
Morris Allegro
BHC SR.N4 Hovercraft
Sunbeam Rapier
Mercedes 280 SL
Renault Dauphine

Vauxhall Victor 2000 Estate
Ariel Arrow
BMW R69
BSA C15
Honda CB450
Leopard Tank
Chieftain Tank
Centurion Tank
Saunders Roe SR.53 Jet/Rocket Interceptor

I'd happily bag any on that list, especially the 1/32 cars. I think the Vauxhall Victor Estate's moulds were butchered for the "Rebel Rouser" version, so we'll never see the original again. Same for the Capri/"Crackle Cat". Did they do an Allegro? Or did you mean the Marina? I'd take either if they came back out, and as for the Maxi, I'd buy at least three.

18 hours ago, MrB17 said:

My interests are as varied as my brain. 
Auto’s:

1/24 Ford Capri Mk.I 2000 waayyy overdue! While they’re at it, rerelease the 1/32 Capri Mk.I as a classic (possibly the molds were butchered for the “Krackle Kat” offering?

1/24 Triumph Spitfire Mk. IV-V

1/24 Triumph TR-6

1/24 MGB pre 74 (real bumpers)

Upvote for the Capri Mk I 2000, although they can do any mark of Capri and I'd be happy. Can we have a 1/24 Cortina Mk III, IV and V in 1/24 while we're at it?

13 hours ago, davecov said:

How can such a beauty (!) as a Maxi not sell:

It would sell Dave as me and you would buy them all up even if no one else did! I bet the moulds for that kit are still really good. It didn't exactly get many releases.

@IanC

I had no idea the G.50s were going for £20 to £30. That seems a bit ridiculous as I've never viewed it as a rare kit. I'm sure I have three in the stash.

Steve

28 minutes ago, fightersweep said:

@IanC

I had no idea the G.50s were going for £20 to £30. That seems a bit ridiculous as I've never viewed it as a rare kit. I'm sure I have three in the stash.

Steve

I was fibbing Steve - they only go for tuppence ha'penny. But I'll be happy to pay you a few quid this time, if you're thinking of selling one....😄

• Haha 1