AIRFIX 2022 rumours/thoughts/chat thread...

TEXANTOMCAT

Ooh, baseless speculation, my favourite game!

Airfix seem to have been on a bit of a classic jet kick so...

I do think a decent Jaguar would do well in 1/72 or 1/48, unless you want to do the Kittyhawk one all opened up, there isn't a good option I can think of. 

The 1/48 Javelin has had a few releases I wouldn't be surprised (and would be really pleased) if there is one of those in the not too distant future. I would hope for an FAW.5 but realistically an FAW.9 seems more likely. 

Is there a good 1/48 Spey Phantom? I can't think of one 🤔

I don't know if the Type 45 Destroyer was a success, but it wasn't the best kit, I would like to think HMS Queen Elizabeth is in the offing but, would a 1/350 modern aircraft carrier be a little large to do well even if it was a good kit?

Airfix seem to have decided 1/700 isn't for them so I don't suppose it will come out in my scale at any rate...

I imagine the 1/35 line will expand but I wouldn't like to guess the subject.

Their 1/72 Firefly and Tiger seem to have done well but I don't really know what the logical direction from that release would be. Personally I would love some of the Funnies but that seems a little niche.

3 hours ago, Max Headroom said:

Screen grab from an Airfix promo for a programme on the Yesterday channel

F2b

?

Or would this be a render for a Corgi release?

Trevor

The programme on the Yesterday channel tomorrow is about the Corgi Bristol Fighter.

• Sad 1

Would expect the usual set of variations on new tools

i.e a different Mosquito, Sabre  and Vampire 

I don’t think we will see a new 1/24 kit until 2023 ( based on 1 every 5 years) 

Given that Airfix seem to be replacing old tooled kits with new ones, how about a new B24/B26/Halifax?? In 1/72

Also given that they have produced a Vampire, how about a Venom in 1/48?

And as Airfix seem to travel to Yeovilton regularly new tools in the shape of a Gannet and Scimitar ( either 72/48)

I too have seen the Facebook image of a meteor in Silver/red ( looks like 2022 calendar shot) but I think it’s a F8 with the canopy open rather than a T7 ( although I wish it was a T7). 

Finally there was another Facebook post where Airfix are asking for suggestions of which vintage kits to reissue- the 1/24 Stuka is a popular response and makes sense to me.

whatever gets made I hope they continue to improve and make one or two of us extremely happy 

we might get something issued at Telford

• Like 1

And as Airfix seem to travel to Yeovilton regularly new tools in the shape of a Gannet and Scimitar ( either 72/48)

I do wish the next time they travel down the A303 they would make the short detour and visit Middle Wallop and just see how popular the Scout helicopter is with the kids visiting the museum. The current mould is too far gone (based on the last one I bought) to reappear as a 'Classic', and a new tool is needed in  72, 48 or 24, I wont mind. On the other hand the Beaver is a no brainer for the Classic range.

If they did visit I would personally hope they got the inspiration to produce an accurate assault glider (Hotspur, Hadrian, Horsa, Hamilcar) as there isn't a truly accurate one in any scale. Of course you can't have a glider without a tug and so the Hector, Master III, Albemarle, Stirling IV and Halifax are added to the wish list. The Dakota just needs the tow point added, how about an additional sprue with the US parapack fairings and/or the RAF bomb slips and stores containers for a true Airborne Forces Dak.

Airfix produced their Jeep with the airdrop Crash Pans, so where is the Hastings to hang it from?

There is just one other thing I hope Airfix would do................. Please ignore what I wish for, my stash is already too large.

I can't see past the Falklands connection so assume we will see some of the following re-issued in one boxing or another:

• 1/350 Invincible class carrier
  • 1/24 Sea Harrier (unlikely given the 1/72 tooling also slated for a 2022 release)
  • 1/72 Vulcan Black Buck boxing
  • 1/72 Seaking

Personally, my wishlist would be for;

• New tool 1/48 Buccaneer
  • New tool Halifax (1/72 or 1/48)
  • New tool 1/72 Concorde
  • 1/72 P8 

I know some of those are completely unrealistic but I can dream!

Happy speculating folks!

As a guess for the more modern types:

1:48 Buccaneer 

1:48 Jaguar

1:72 Chinook

1:72 Tornado

1:48 Eurofighter Typhoon

left field for a 1:24 kit would be a 2nd generation Harrier.

for the WWII types I would hazard a guess at:

a Fairey Battle

Ju 52

Ju 88

but as ever, who knows!

• Like 1

On 10/16/2021 at 4:00 PM, 593jones said:

Being sensible didn't last long did it?

Hi

Nope 

I suppose to follow the hellcat 

it will be a

1:24 corsair IV 

cheers 

jerry  

• Like 1

After many years of disappointment 2022 is the year that Airfix will release the long awaited and much anticipated (by me) 

1/24th scale TSR2 with full in service weapons load, cockpits and markings.

I know it is, I can feel it in my bones…..

Graham

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

On 10/19/2021 at 12:27 AM, brewerjerry said:

Hi

Nope 

I suppose to follow the hellcat 

it will be a

1:24 corsair IV 

cheers 

jerry  

Or a Zero, Airfix do seem to like an adversary for their kit subjects.

• Like 1

A slightly off the wall suggestion:

Boulton Paul Defiant TT

I've always found target tugs generally to be interesting aircraft but they're a subject the mainstream manufacturers tend to ignore, maybe they're considered too obscure to sell well.

• Like 3

I want to see the BMC 1100, Austin Maxi and Morris Marina released as a BMC/Austin/Morris/Leyland gift set emblazoned with British Leyland's "Plughole of Doom" logo. It will come with Glue, brush, pots of specially formulated acrylic beige and baby sick green, a set of stick on Peter Wyngarde side burns and moustache and a facsimile trade union card. I would buy many, many sets if Airfix did this in the Classics range and I could happily re-live my youth of three day weeks, blackouts and piled up rubbish. Think of the diorama possibilities!

Either that, or I'll take a re-issue of the Cherokee Arrow, Beaver and Shorts Skyvan. Ta!

Steve 

• Haha 5

25 minutes ago, Ratch said:

Airfix won't be at Telford

I hope that they will still announce a new tool to coincide with Telford? They certainly have the capability for a live announcement over several platforms