AIRFIX 2022 rumours/thoughts/chat thread...

TEXANTOMCAT

Airfix seem to have had a surprising interest in early cold war Soviet types recently.  It wouldn't surprise me if a Mig-21 was to appear in the next couple of years.

2022 is the 40th anniversary of the Falklands War, so maybe that will spur a new subject or two, though whether aircraft, helicopters or naval is hard to say.  Maybe a Dagger to give a Mirage III base to compliment  their future Mig-21?

And there's also the Ki-46 at Cosford begging to be lidared to expand their Japanese new tools and replace the dated one in their catalogue.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, 3DStewart said:

2022 is the 40th anniversary of the Falklands War

Didn't we only just celebrate the 30th anniversary?  Oh....how time flies.  

If they go that route, I imagine Airfix will dust off their tried-and-true retooled Sea King, the rather crude Gazelle, and the actually quite good Lynx.  I've never attempted their Sea Harrier FRS.1, so I have no idea whether that would be worth reissuing.  

Yes to a Black Buck Vulcan B.2, and possibly a reappearance of the Nimrod MR.2, but with wing-mounted sidewinders?

No French, Soviet, or Israeli-built jets of French design, I imagine.  Sorry.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Beermonster1958 said:

Why do modellers equate  :"it's the (insert) anniversary of (insert) next year", with production of hypothetical models?

Just curious. 😉

(pauses to put away winding up handle)

Not having a go at anyone and , I enjoy this annual bit of fun as much as the rest of us but, to me anyway it ranks alongside "iconic"  and, "no collection would be complete without (insert)" as perhaps not entirely valid kit producing incentives?

John

There is more than a smidgin of truth in there.  Fact is we all love a wee bit of fantasy speculation. It’s a bit like “If I won the lottery big I’d commission Airfix to do a 1/24th - here insert subject of choice”

Bit of fun with some logic behind it. Sort of, maybe, possibly even,  type logic :D

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Beermonster1958 said:

Why do modellers equate  :"it's the (insert) anniversary of (insert) next year", with production of hypothetical models?

Just curious. 😉

(pauses to put away winding up handle)

Not having a go at anyone and , I enjoy this annual bit of fun as much as the rest of us but, to me anyway it ranks alongside "iconic"  and, "no collection would be complete without (insert)" as perhaps not entirely valid kit producing incentives?

John

Or what will be good sellers, one, or more like my main job in a supermarket is merchandising and the times I get the response to something discontinued or whatever is: "But you sell loads"  What I think then is ,"How do you know they sell well, you think that because you like it you then assume everyone else does" in actual fact it's usually the other way round! Of course I can't say that, or even roll my eyes 🤣

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Beermonster1958 said:

Because there's history of it being relevant.

I recall the 70th anniversary of Pearl Harbor resulting in two new Japanese aircraft and a P-40 coming from Airfix and I think the 30th anniversary of the Falklands resulted in a new A4 and Harrier. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Swamp Donkey said:

Dear Airfix

all 1/72

Canberra B2

Lightning F1/F3

Sea Vixen

Javelin

Yep, like all of them... and i'd certainly buy at least 2 of each if its any encouragement 🤣 Airfix have just to break from their tendency of not redoing 1/48 subjects in their range, in 1/72 🤞  

PS innocent question and sorry if its been asked/discussed before - does anyone know if Airfix check out these sort of discussions and does it inform or influence their thinking in anyway?  Just wondered if they've ever said - I know they seem to encourage "wish lists" on their site forum (well there is a categorgy heading at least).

Edited by RichG
  • Like 1

So that's two anniversaries noted by the release (rerelease in the case of the Falklands?) new Airfix kits, whereas there has been 117 possible anniversaries since 1903 and the first flight of the Wright Brothers.  The odds don't look too good...

118.  Where do these years go to?

• Like 4

Hi

1:24 westland whirlwind,

( now we have a SH 1:32 )

being sensible now 

re release the SS canberra liner 

and a new 

1:24 douglas boston III 

cheers 

jerry 

Edited by brewerjerry

3 minutes ago, brewerjerry said:

Hi

being sensible now 

and a new 

cheers 

jerry 

Jerry

i was with you all the way up to the sentence containing the words “sensible” and “1/24 Douglas Boston” :D

• Like 1

Well, they did deliberately leak the Victor by a similar non-announcement, so if there are now two indications...  Remember Goldfinger?  Once is happenstance, twice is coincidence, three times is enemy action.  Assuming you believe in coincidence...

• Like 2

5 hours ago, TEXANTOMCAT said:

What are peoples thoughts on the Meteor in the back of this Airfix Facebook post...

https://m.facebook.com/officialairfix/photos/a.80699376270/10159412171631271/?type=3&source=48

The resolution’s not good but I think that it’s the F(TT) Mk. 8 that one of our club members built a year or two ago that appeared in AMW.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, brewerjerry said:

Hi

being sensible now 

and a new 

cheers 

jerry 

Being sensible didn't last long did it?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Max Headroom said:

Screen grab from an Airfix promo for a programme on the Yesterday channel

F2b

?

Or would this be a render for a Corgi release?

Trevor

I believe that there’s a Corgi Brisfit somewhere in the not-too-distant future.

• Sad 1

On 16/10/2021 at 01:13, TheyJammedKenny! said:

Didn't we only just celebrate the 30th anniversary?  Oh....how time flies.  

If they go that route, I imagine Airfix will dust off their tried-and-true retooled Sea King, the rather crude Gazelle, and the actually quite good Lynx.  I've never attempted their Sea Harrier FRS.1, so I have no idea whether that would be worth reissuing.  

Yes to a Black Buck Vulcan B.2, and possibly a reappearance of the Nimrod MR.2, but with wing-mounted sidewinders?

Or a new Chinook in 1/72 and you could get an aircraft from each side. Then there could be follow ons with newer versions later.

• Like 1