WW2 French Roundel colours and Fin Flashes

Plastimic

Hi Everyone,

Hope everyone is doing well and thier builds are going well.

I was wondering of anyone could inform and educate me on the colours of the French Roundels and fin Flashes of early French WW2 Aircraft, I'm just finishing up my AZ Models Hawk in 1/72 Scale. I unfortunately scratched up a fin flash and did damage to a Roundel on the decal sheet. I feel the colours are a bit bright. So since I have gotten quite competant at masking I'm going to try air brushing them on. I'm probably going to use Vallejo paints. But if you can only give it to me in your preferred paint colour. That's OK, I'll take it. I have an app that will calculate and give me something close to what you recommend.

Cheers and thanks

Tim

I normally don't use decals I prefer to paint markings, a while ago I had a French WW2 theme going and for the roundels and fins I used Humbrol H89 for the blue, for the white Xtracolor white X114 and the red Xtracolour X14.

The blue was the hardest one to match but the red and white are pretty standard. This is one of my finishe builds showing the results.

Cheers

Dennis

spacer.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The blue is the only color that is difficult to match. Here is a suggested sample based on an actual 1940 French Air Ministry paint chip book. Most commonly folks interpret it as a true pale blue when it actually was a blue-grey.

http://memorial.flight.free.fr/nuancieruk.html

Edited by bjohns5
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, spitfire said:

I normally don't use decals I prefer to paint markings, a while ago I had a French WW2 theme going and for the roundels and fins I used Humbrol H89 for the blue, for the white Xtracolor white X114 and the red Xtracolour X14.

The blue was the hardest one to match but the red and white are pretty standard. This is one of my finishe builds showing the results.

Cheers

Dennis

spacer.png

That Bloch 152  is AWESOME! Is that the Dora kit? I appreciate the colour advice!

6 hours ago, bjohns5 said:

The blue is the only color that is difficult to match. Here is a suggested sample based on an actual 1940 French Air Ministry paint chip book. Most commonly folks interpret it as a true pale blue when it actually was a blue-grey.

http://memorial.flight.free.fr/nuancieruk.html

That's really neat! Thanks for the help!

5 hours ago, Plastimic said:

That Bloch 152  is AWESOME! Is that the Dora kit? I appreciate the colour advice!

Thank you for that, the kit is the 1/32 scale AZUR kit, the other builds were also AZUR, the D520, MS406 and the Hawk 75 I still have the C714 to build.

Cheers

Dennis