1/72 Hobbyboss, Tupolev Tu-2

What to say about the model: cheap with satisfactory details on all surfaces, but with non-existent details in the interior, so I was forced to cut openings in order to add only a few details inside to act as the interior. Machine guns look like broom handles, landing gears barely satisfying, with no wheel openings. It has ridiculously sized antenna mast over the cabin, so it has to be scratch built. Alternative to this is ICM model which has its difficulties too so it is a trade off. Pity there is no better model of TU-2 which is not insignificant in both its numbers and design with such nice lines. Also from modelling perspective there are bunch of interesting camouflages, so it all led to the point that for the fist time in over 25 years I am modelling a Soviet airplane. 😄

I also experimented with black basing on it, but using complementary colors for the marble effect. As I wrote in the topic about BF 109 that I worked in parallel, I note that this effect is much more successful to do on one-color camouflage, or like here on lighther and larger areas.

The colors used ar AK Real  that I used for the first time with Mr Leveling Thiner and everything went okay. They can be mixed with Gunze colors, and have a slightly fruit like smell compared to Gunze. Weathering was done in the following order: Tamiya fluid pin wash, then matt varnish and dirt with oil artistic paints using W&N  mineral spirit. I tried it first with Humbrol Thinner which I used to use regularly in combination with oil paints but this mineral spirit is really much easier to work with and didn't damage the matte polish at all.

I hope you will enjoy the pictures. Cheers!

img_4324-1.jpg?w=818&h=&zoom=2

img_4326-1.jpg?w=818&h=&zoom=2

img_4327-1.jpg?w=818&h=&zoom=2

img_4329-1.jpg?w=818&h=&zoom=2

img_4331-1.jpg?w=818&h=&zoom=2

img_4332-1.jpg?w=818&h=&zoom=2

img_4333-1.jpg?w=818&h=&zoom=2

img_4334-1.jpg?w=818&h=&zoom=2

• Like 40

Great model with beautiful paintwork and weathering! Well done! I love the blue tones on the tan base.

I like that you take artistic liberty at experimenting with colours and their effects. My approach too. Here is the link to my experiments with complementary pre/post shading covering few models:

And a link to the current build where I use the same method:

Colours are fun! :)

Best,

Nikola

Edited by Nikola Topalov

Another gem from your modelling cuisine :) Complementary colors preshading better fitted to this one - especially I like that lower area - it really looks worn out and heavily weathered around panel lines.

That antenna mast on the top of canopy really looks good, although its design is sooo funny :D 

Cheers,

S.

• Thanks 1