FineMolds 1/72 Messerschmitt Bf109 F-4

It's been a long time since I last posted here. This is a model that I started as part of the campaign on Britmodeller, but I did not manage to finish it on time. I experimented with black basing for the first time, but using complementary colors for the marble effect. This gave me very satisfying effects in tonal variations on the surface. I notice that this effect is much more visible to do on such one-color camouflage, because I tried the same effect on the Tu-2 in parallel, where I was mostly successful in lighter fields, which are also larger areas.

There is nothing to say about the model, it fits perfectly, the details are great. You can choose between the 4 versions of Marseille's machines, I prefer this one from the box-art, with the red rudder, all white spinner and high demarcation lines between the  RLM 79 and 78, The paints are Gunze, the weathering was done in the following order: pin wash Tamiya fluid, then I applied matte varnish, and then smeared with artist oil paints and W&N mineral spirit.

img_4318-1.jpg?w=818&h=&zoom=2

img_4317-1.jpg?w=818&h=&zoom=2

img_4315-1.jpg?w=818&h=&zoom=2

img_4312-1.jpg?w=818&h=&zoom=2

img_4310-1.jpg?w=818&h=&zoom=2

img_4308-1.jpg?w=818&h=&zoom=2

img_4303-1.jpg?w=818&h=&zoom=2

• Like 63

Absolutely brilliant!

I have always preferred the Emil type, but your build has so much character and realism, I might just change my mind.

Your skills (especially weathering & staining) are beyond question in my view!

:clap2::clap2::clap2:

• Thanks 1

Your Messerschmitt looks really great!

Can you explain what you mean by using complimentary colours? Did you spray a marbling pattern of yellow on the black base before applying the RLM 78 (yellow as the complimentary colour of blue?)? In any case, it looks very convincing.

• Thanks 1

On 10/14/2021 at 10:09 PM, Doc72 said:

Can you explain what you mean by using complimentary colours? Did you spray a marbling pattern of yellow on the black base before applying the RLM 78 (yellow as the complimentary colour of blue?)? In any case, it looks very convincing.

Complementary to blue is orange.

If you are interested in this, study the colour wheel and it will all be clear.

I started this thread some time ago with this topic, and it might explain better what Lanmi and I have been experimenting with, although I did not do marbling, just pre-shading:

Best,

Nikola

Edited by Nikola Topalov
  • Thanks 1

On 10/14/2021 at 10:09 PM, Doc72 said:

Thank you, Doc! U used Gunze off white for marbling. Two layers was enough  Then i sprayed thin layers of complementary colors (it was beige yellow for RLM78 and purple under RLM79) almost like preshading.

img_20210823_000657.jpg?w=1024

Here is example from my TU-2 for upper camo unfortunately I didn't take photo of 109.

img_20210827_233301.jpg

@Nikola Topalov Thank you Nikola, as you described. I can only add that using complementary colors as preshading especially beneath lighter colors the effect is much softer, and you need fewer airbrush passes. The effect was not so impressive on dark green so I need to further experiment on it. 

Next time I will probably try marbling technique over gray primer not the black one. It is hard to cover black base.

@Wulfman @Murewa @Horatio Gruntfuttock @Sky Keg @72modeler @Esvees @Mig88 @Nanond @fishplanebeer @supersonic @VolkerR.@James G  🍻 Thanks everyone for your kind comments I appreciate it a lot

• Like 1

Great job mate! This experiment with complementary colours really added much to the worn look of final camouflage. Lower part maybe looks a bit more dirty for the desert cammo, but anyway it looks very interesting.

Cheers,

S.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Lanmi said:

Thank you Nikola, as you described. I can only add that using complementary colors as preshading especially beneath lighter colors the effect is much softer, and you need fewer airbrush passes. The effect was not so impressive on dark green so I need to further experiment on it. 

You are right. It is much easier with lighter colours. I am currently battling OD over red tones. I did it once with P61 and now again. Worked good the first time but it is always a battle.

The hardest part for me now is judging how much to cover initially knowing that weathering and subsequent coats will affect it. It's just like regular pre-shading only more difficult because if it is with black, no risk of too much of it showing through since it only gives a darker tone of the base color with no hue modulation. Still long way to go until I master this one.

So good to have someone else with whom to share the experience with this. :)

Best,

Nikola

• Like 1