Roland Garros' Spad

72modeler

I have a request for information on behalf of  an old friend and modeling mentor, who is building a scale flying model of one of the Spad XIII C.1's flown by Roland Garros. He has been unable to find anything significant.  I'm not very well-versed or blessed with references when it comes to WW1 aircraft, but I was able to find print references to his flying Spad XIII C.1 serial numbers 15403 and 15409, but I have no way of knowing if that is indeed correct. My friend would like to make his model an accurate tribute to Garros. I would appreciate anything the membership could post, so I can repay in part some of the things he taught me about building accurate models.

Mike

Does anyone who might have either the 1/72 or 1/48 Eduard Spad XIII kits know if Garros' Spad is one of the markings choices? Are there any afternarket decal sheets for his Spads that might be a good modeling reference? Thanks in advance for anything you could provide.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

EIGHT manufacturers produced the Spad XIII (the parent company S.P.A.D., Kellner, Bleriot, Janior, Levasseur, S.A.F.C.A., Bernard, and De Marcay.), and while French five-color camouflage (in use from about September 1917 'til the end of the war) was standard, there are recognizable pattern-variations amongst the makers that enables the knowledgable observer to identify them.  The variation(s) extended to cockade size and placement, fin camouflage and rudder data-lettering.

Garros' S15409 was Bleriot-built.  There may be a Bleriot pattern available on 'the interwebs,' but I can also send you a couple of examples of it if you want to send me a PM (I don't use a photo-hosting service, so cannot insert them here.)

As you mentioned eduard's Spads, marking options include several Bleriot-built: Larner's "13" of 103rd Aero, Swaab's "15" of the 22nd Aero, Fonck's "VI" of SPA 103

Your friend's 'tribute' is a noble idea, wish him luck.

GRM

Addenda: Harry Dempsey's depiction of S15409 is included in the Osprey pub. Groupe de Combat 12 'Les Cigognes', ©2004, Jon Guttman, pp72,78, 116 (photo)

Edited by G.R.Morrison
addenda
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

Just an FYI:

Per Jon Guttman's Osprey SPAD XII/XIII Aces of World War I, p. 20, 15409 was the aircraft Garros died in.  Unfortunately, no photos or profiles.

I seem to think that I've seen decals for a Garros plane, but can't figure out where.  Americal/Gryphon, maybe?  I'll try to check later. 

Bob C

• Thanks 1

Given the lack of availability of these decals, this may not help you, but:

Americal Gryphon 1/72 sheet #130 "Groupe de Combat12 - Les Cigognes II -  Escadrille 26, 73, 103" has Garros' SPAD XIII aircraft #30, serial number "unknown", as of their publication date of 1997.  The same markings (?) are in 1/48 on sheets #131, 132; in 1/32 on sheet #133; in 1/28 on sheet #134.  Given that all sheet numbers were listed at $12.50 (in 2006) on the list that I have, I find it unlikely that all the markings (48 different aircraft/markings) on the 1/72 sheet are on one sheet in 1/32 and 1/28, but I have no way of telling which particular markings are on those sheets.

Happy Hunting, 

Bob C

• Thanks 1

Oops, Guess I should have read a bit further on my copy of #130.  Per that sheet, 1/48 #131 has the SPADs VII, XII as on #130; 1/48 #132 has the Nieuports, SPAD XIII, XVII, and Voisins as on #130; 1/32 #133 has 8 Nieuports from #130; 1/28 #134 has 9 SPAD aces, but not Garros.  

Bob C

• Thanks 1