Tamiya 1/48 P51B Mustang

Hi Fellow Modelers

Completed P51B Mustang.

First of all I did not finish the Work in Progress on this.  Modelling is my escape at the moment and I get so engrossed in the build I forget to take pics as I go along.  I now have a sign right in front of me 'BUILD PICS' so hopefully that will work on the next project.

This kit was given to me by a friend from another forum who I have only known for a short while, a very kind and generous person (he would like to remain anonymous, which I totally understand and respect).

This is the first time I have really properly attempted a bare metal finish.  Also the first time using Alclad II (which are brilliant). Enough waffle

spacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

This hasn't quite turned out how I would like but I have thoroughly enjoyed every second of it which is the whole purpose of the hobby isn't it.  Ive also learned huge amounts.  In the not too distant future I have another part bare metal kit to do so I can use what Ive learnt, and hopefully improve.

Next up is the Trumpeter 1/48 Wellington MkIII which again was also given to me by a friend Mr. Laurie Stewart, again a very kind and thoughtful person, thank you Laurie

Thanks for looking

Take care and safe

Si

• Like 30
  • Thanks 1

Nice job, Si, especially in the variations of the panel finish. It turned out much better than how you described progress mid-build. As modellers our primary critic is oneself, but then that's the only one that really matters. Looking forward to seeing your next project. 

14 hours ago, SAT69 said:

Very nice! I've always liked the P-51B better than the P-51D. I'm tempted to get the Tamiya kit now.

Thank you SAT69 much appreciated.

I must admit that my favourite is the P51B as apposed to the D.  Its like a lot of aircraft I prefer the earlier versions like the Bf109E, the early Fw190's, Spitfires etc.

Thanks again

Si

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Murfie said:

Nice job, Si, especially in the variations of the panel finish. It turned out much better than how you described progress mid-build. As modellers our primary critic is oneself, but then that's the only one that really matters. Looking forward to seeing your next project. 

Thanks Murfie much appreciated

Next up the 1/48 Wellington MkIII

Si

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Spitfire31 said:

I only see "spacer.png" duplicated six times…

Google pics, perhaps? I'm on Mac OS 10.14.6, latest Firefox.

Kind regards,

Joachim

Hi Joachim 

Ive had this a couple of times now but the people that mentioned it managed to get the pics somehow, I dont no how unfortunately.  All the images are Jpeg and saved at between 300 & 400kb

Sadly I know nothing about Mac so unable to help there

My apologies

Si

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gary Brantley said:

That's a fine first NMF finish Simon!  The model looks really good, with some fantastic checkerboard work on the nose!   Well done indeed sir. :clap2:

Thanks very much Gary much appreciated

I have learnt huge amounts on this build.  I have a Vickers Valetta which is part NMF.  So looking forward to that.  As they say "practice makes perfect"

Thanks again

Si

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Simon Dyer said:

Thank you SAT69 much appreciated.

I must admit that my favourite is the P51B as apposed to the D.  Its like a lot of aircraft I prefer the earlier versions like the Bf109E, the early Fw190's, Spitfires etc.

Thanks again

Si

Ciao I just see your last creation; wonderfull job Si

Superb

Stay safe

Paolo

41 minutes ago, Bertie Psmith said:

Good NMF, well done. I can't find a single fingerprint in the Alclcd.🙂

Alclad is rather fragile and I recommend using pva or similar glue for transparencies etc that might go on ofter the paint.

Hi Bertie

Thanks for your comments, much appreciated.

Ive always used PVA for my canopies etc. Some time ago I got an Ammo Mig book set on aircraft and they are fantastic.  In one of the volumes they mentioned an acrylic glue suitable for transparencies and PE, obviously their own 😂.

I got some of this but only just used it on the Mustang. At first I felt a bit disappointed as it looked like a small jar of PVA.  However, it is a lot more tacky than PVA and very good indeed. Im really looking forward to using it on my future builds.  Its also great for PE which is great too

Thanks again

Take care 

Si

• Like 1