Bandai (IMAI) 1/200 Destroid Monster HWR-00 MkII

I've a thing for the original Macross Anime kits from IMAI that appeared in the early 80's. The kits were available in the UK even though Macross or even the bastardized Robotech version from the the US wasn't. This a 2010 repop by Bandai of the orginal IMAI kit of probably the coolest looking mecha in the series. The boxart is particular captivating and adds a lots of character to a machine that only appeared occasionally in the series.

DestroidMonster-02.jpg

Had great fun building this and rather pleased with the finish. I enjoyed experimenting with weathering techniques chipping (airspray and painted) and oils. The dull weather and basic photography skills means a the pictures don't show it all. Painted and partially weathered with Humbrol Enamels which suit the early 80's origins of this kit. Even in my late 40's I still think this looks as freaking awesome as I did in my teens 😁

DestroidMonster-19.jpg

DestroidMonster-14.jpg

DestroidMonster-15.jpg

DestroidMonster-16.jpg

DestroidMonster-17.jpg

DestroidMonster-18.jpg

• Like 16

Nice work - is this the smaller one, or the BIG one?  I always fancied the big one they had at Arts & Crafts in Chester, but could never afford it.  I think I've got the little one in my stash now.  A bit of a nostalgia purchase :)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mike said:

Nice work - is this the smaller one, or the BIG one?  I always fancied the big one they had at Arts & Crafts in Chester, but could never afford it.  I think I've got the little one in my stash now.  A bit of a nostalgia purchase :)

Thanks Mike. This is the "little" one, the larger 1/160 scale kit was from ARII and though larger is not as detailed or accurate.

Was "Arts & Crafts" the one in the arcade with the models in the basement? My memories are of the IMAI kits in John Menzies in Wrexham.

4 minutes ago, JamesP said:

Was "Arts & Crafts" the one in the arcade with the models in the basement? My memories are of the IMAI kits in John Menzies in Wrexham.

That's the one James :yes: Sounds like I had a lucky escape then.  I've got a few of the Macross kits in the stash, mostly older stuff, but I've also got a Hasegawa VF-1J/A Valkyrie  in 1:48, which is a bit nice :wub:

35 minutes ago, Mike said:

That's the one James :yes: Sounds like I had a lucky escape then.  I've got a few of the Macross kits in the stash, mostly older stuff, but I've also got a Hasegawa VF-1J/A Valkyrie  in 1:48, which is a bit nice :wub:

I've built the Regult Pod ( have you finished yours? ), the Macross SDF 1, Queadluun Rau and a Gerwalk VF1-J, and more in the stash. Recently found Hobby Link Japan have number of the Destroid kits available re-popped by Bandai for £5, so my stash will soon swell! An excellent resource on the old kits here https://macrossworld.com/macross/models/_models_plastic.htm

Cracking job and great attention to detail. The wear and tear on the earth spade is a lovely touch.

And you're right, it is a really cool design. The walker pods can't really compare can they?

Will

• Like 1