1/48 - Mitsubishi A6M "Zero" family & Nakajima A6M2-N "Rufe" by Eduard - A6M2 type 11/21, A6M3 type 22/32 & A6M2-N released

Homebee

Next boxing expected in January 2022 - ref. 82212 - Mitsubishi A6M2 Type 21 "Zero" - ProfiPack

Source: https://www.eduard.com/out/media/distributors/leaflet/leaflet2022-01en.pdf

269772547-5261588350522736-2162611116876

ZERO1.png

ZERO2.png

And Eduard Brassin - ref.648694

ZEO0.png

Sprues https://www.modelforum.cz/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=142320#p2455979

DSC-0854.jpg

DSC-0855.jpg

DSC-0856.jpg

DSC-0857.jpg

DSC-0859.jpg

DSC-0858.jpg

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

37 minutes ago, Boman said:

How long was the -21 in use? I tried to find the answer but no luck so far? 

As Wurger states, they were in use during the entire war. I'm sure a IJN expert can add more, but from what I know the Japanese were building A6M2's for a long time and were slow to switch production over to newer types. There would have been more -21 aircraft in the air in 1941/42 of course, but they remained in use to the end alongside the newer A6M5/7 models. I believe the old Tamiya boxing of the A6M2 has markings for a 1944 machine. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Bozothenutter said:

That engine seems a  bit disappointing,  with the cylinders cast together and the simplified exhaust. 

No chance of leaving the cowlings off then....

made the same comment on FB, they responded that a full engine was in their future plans....there is hope!

23 minutes ago, Bozothenutter said:

made the same comment on FB, they responded that a full engine was in their future plans....there is hope!

I thought it was blindingly obvious that it wasn't a full engine and wasn't intended to be used with open cowls. For a start the open cowl parts are always supplied in resin along with the engine.

8 minutes ago, tank152 said:

I thought it was blindingly obvious that it wasn't a full engine and wasn't intended to be used with open cowls. For a start the open cowl parts are always supplied in resin along with the engine.

Agreed, so I checked their site, this is only the second set of 1/48 'front only' engines on there(the others being for the B-17).

I guess I/m just used to their engines being of the 'full' variety.

6 hours ago, Bozothenutter said:

they responded that a full engine was in their future plans....there is hope!

Of course that's what they'd do. How else should they advertise their Brassin options :D

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

20 hours ago, Boman said:

How long was the -21 in use? I tried to find the answer but no luck so far? 

From Nick Millman's book on the Zero: Nakajima continued production of the A6M2 until February 1944 while Mitsubishi ceased with production of the first A6M3 Model 32 in June 1942.

So it is entirely possible that Nakajima built examples could have been in service right up until August 1945 as the last airframes would still only have been 18 months old by then. 

Andy

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Bozothenutter said:

That engine seems a  bit disappointing,  with the cylinders cast together and the simplified exhaust. 

No chance of leaving the cowlings off then....

I guess it's not designed for that, it appear just to be a simple upgrade for the kit like a lot of AM engines, not a full engine with cowling set. Maybe they will do an open engine set at some point.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Foxbat said:

From Nick Millman's book on the Zero: Nakajima continued production of the A6M2 until February 1944 while Mitsubishi ceased with production of the first A6M3 Model 32 in June 1942.

So it is entirely possible that Nakajima built examples could have been in service right up until August 1945 as the last airframes would still only have been 18 months old by then. 

Andy

Does Millman mention that these A6M2s may be the Sen Baku which were purpose built dedicated fighter bombers?

They replaced the obsolete Val dive bombers. The original research article appeared on the old J-Aircraft.com site, but I can't find it. There's an iteration of it on the Warthunder forums.

j2sab.jpg

x0cwIw.jpg

k8MjvJ.png

https://forum.warthunder.com/index.php?/topic/187467-mitsubishi-nakajima-a6m2-sen-baku-fighter-bomber/

What is Sen Baku (or Bakusen) ? 
A short story is that it was a fighter-bomber variant of standard Mitsubishi and Nakajima built A6M2 Zero fighter. A6M2 Sen Baku was introduced in early 1944, as the performance of D3A Val was recognized as inadequate for current strategic situation, and the production of D4Y was not only insufficient but also plane required a longer deck to take-off, which could not be achieved on light carriers such as IJN Hiyo or IJN Chitose. In this situation a number of A6M2’s were modified to carry a 250 kg bomb by replacing the drop tank so as to fit a center-line bombs rack. The modified Zeros lacked dive breaks which led to different tactics, crews were trained to make a shallower bomb approaches than in D3A or skip bombing, but it was considered that the flight decks of the US Aircraft Carriers could be damaged enough to render them incapable of aerial operations.

In the same time as production of Sen Baku started, the process of rebuilding Japanese carrier force happened. Training for both the 601st Kokutai began as late as in February 1944 and 653rd Kokutai began a month later. It is assumed that Sen Baku Zero began arriving from the factory between February to April.

Mitsubishi Heavy Industries had stopped producing the A6M2 in the middle of 1942, and from that time only Nakajima continued the production of the Zero-sen. The numbers indicate that at least 111 aircraft were built between April and May 1944. In the Battle of the Philippine Sea 84 aircrafts were on board of 2nd and 3rd Carrier division (652 and 653 Kokutai respectively) and 323 Hikokitai on board of IJN Zuikaku.
The main differences between standard A6M2b model 21 and A6M2 fighter bomber : 

- Build-in bomb rack under the fuselage with the ability to carry 250 kg bomb
- Two 150 l external fuel tanks carried under each wing
- Added Fire Extinguisher to the fuel tanks
- Radio equipment changed to newer one, same as in A6M5
- Modified wing structure -> Plane received aileron balancing tabs to reduce the stiffening, fuel tank cooling vent was removed and upper cannon bay access hatch was changed 
- Plane carrier 100 round magazine for each 20 mm gun
- Plane was capable of carrying 10 Air-to-Air phosphorous bombs

Internally plane was also different. The cockpit was similar to A6M2b model 21 on the front side and left, but right side was similar to A6M5 with radio equipment being moved behind pilot seat. On the left side, behind pilot left arm there was placed a control panel for fire extinguishers. The gunsight was same as in other Navy fighters, except of that it was a newer Model 2."

Edited by Masinissa
  • Thanks 1

Source: https://www.facebook.com/groups/811765288916408/posts/4515612775198289/

Today I finished the interior of the upcoming Zero A6M2 1/48. I have to say he really did a good job. It is precise and very detailed work. Judge for yourself.

DSC-0863.jpg

257810235-4254927241284320-3978845451205

257787120-4254927021284342-7352955977722

258170510-4254927091284335-6791477732065

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 6

Info about kit posted on Eduard's FB: https://www.facebook.com/EduardCompany/posts/5135731116441794

TORA TORA TORA! 1/48 DUAL COMBO

Limited edition kit of Japanese WWII naval fighter aircraft A6M2 Zero Type 21 in 1/48 scale. From the kit you can build Zeroes from the attack on Pearl Harbor. The kit will be available at hobby shops and Eduard webstore from December 1, 2021 under cat. no. 11155.

• plastic parts: Eduard
  • marking options: 12
  • decals: Eduard
  • PE parts: yes, pre-painted
  • painting mask: yes
  • resin parts: no

Aircraft from all six aircraft carriers are represented in the selection, with two aircraft from each ship. We have chosen them not only according to colour scheme of each machine, but we also took into consideration interesting stories associated with these aircraft and their pilots.

7 hours ago, k5054nz said:

I would very much like a tin of that Aotake.

Aotake was a clear coat with tint added. 

To replicate it you just need to lay down a coat of aluminum and then get the clear green, or blue that Tamiya, Gunze and others make. Spray that over the aluminum. It doesn't have the weird metal flakes in it.

Here's a nice build of Tamiya's 1/48 Gekko from 20(!!!) years ago that demonstrates the technique.

https://www.hyperscale.com/features/2001/gekkogc_1.htm

cpit6.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Looking forward to the Eduard Type 32 and especially the Rufe/Suisen II. 

Have the Tamiya Type 21 (with the fiddly MDC floatplane conversion) and Hasegawa Type 52, both in 1/32nd scale, but nobody's yet done the Type 32 in big scale or a straight kit of the Rufe (except for the giant Trumpeter 1/24th scale kit which now, sadly, appears OOP).

This Eduard series looks to fill some important gaps with a nice new kit. Well done! And thanks Eduard for the Fishbed re-pops too.

Tony 

• Like 1

• Homebee changed the title to 1/48 - Mitsubishi A6M "Zero" family & Nakajima A6M2-N "Rufe" by Eduard - A6M2 Type 21 released - Profipack January 2022