Su-27M (T-10M Series) in 1/72 scale - Part 2: T-10M1 (701) based on Revell/Zvezda Su-27SM

Hi everyone,

Based on my kitbash using Revell/Zvezda Su-27SM and Su-33 reported here in detail, I have launched another T-10M progress report for T-10M1 (701).

As usual first the 3 view drawings:

su-35bm-no701-t-10m-1.jpg

For this build I will use one of two survived out of five Flanker from old resin and owen disaster:

1963.jpg

This is the base kit with replaced resin parts:

2462.jpg

2463.jpg

2470.jpg

Next step is to coat all the parts with primer.

Serkan

• Like 4

The gun and in flight refuelling port details were filled with putty. Also some panel details at nose were removed. The aircraft was coated with primer and the problematic areas were lightly sanded:

2471.jpg

2472.jpg

2473.jpg

A second coat of primer was applied:

2474.jpg

2475.jpg

2476.jpg

Now all the panel lines for "701" looks right.

Next step is to paint engine areas...

Serkan

• Like 8

4 hours ago, Daniel John Shanks said:

Awesome work as usual, I started on 709 conversion you sent me starting to take shape! Thank you again serken 

Thanks Daniel, I hope your build is also progressing well without having any difficulties. I look forward to see some pictures of your build.

Serkan

• Like 1

The engine areas and the clear parts were masked and ready to apply first camo color. In this build I will use Model Master (MM) Enamel paints and here are the all gray/blue shades I have:

2478.jpg

It seems that I have to mix the colors to get best color match except 2132 (Flanker Blue Gray) and 2131 (Flanker Medium Blue).

@paulsbrown did an excellent job on his "701" build (and many other T-10M builds as well) in 1:48 scale and I will try to match his colors. You can find his RFI here...

Serkan

• Like 7

Begemot decal paint reference chart references the following colors:

FS25526 Flat Light Blue

FS25450 Flat Blue/Gray

FS26495 Flat Light Gray

FS26152 Flat Dark gray

FS26231 Flat Dark Gull Gray

To me these colors don't match with the real aircraft. I will mostly use my own color mix. As the first color I have mixed the MM1768 (flat white) and MM1723 (gunship gray) in 20:1 ratio.

2479.jpg

2480.jpg

Serkan

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Serkan Sen said:

It seems that I have to mix the colors to get best color match except 2132 (Flanker Blue Gray) and 2131 (Flanker Medium Blue).

@paulsbrown did an excellent job on his "701" build (and many other T-10M builds as well) in 1:48 scale and I will try to match his colors. You can find his RFI here...

Much obliged Serkan, here's a pic of the colors I used in the end.  I used as many photos of 701 next to other aircraft to compare frequently used Russian colors.

RRYdgVP.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, paulsbrown said:

Much obliged Serkan, here's a pic of the colors I used in the end.  I used as many photos of 701 next to other aircraft to compare frequently used Russian colors.

Thanks lot for sharing this picture Paul. If I remember correctly you have used your own paint mixtures rather than using Akan colors out of bottle. In my build I am using the model master enamel colors ( to consume my enamel paint stock as well 🙂 ) and I try to match the color with yours by mixing the available MM paints (as good as possible my old eyes allow 🧐)

Serkan

• Like 2

The masks were removed and here is the result after third camo color:

2496.jpg

2497.jpg

To apply next color the parts were masked again:

2498.jpg

2499.jpg

The entire rear fuselage was painted to MM2132 (Flanker Blue/Gray):

2500.jpg

2501.jpg

There is one more color to be painted (I need to experiment to match the color) but in overall the paint job is very close to end.

Serkan

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Serkan Sen said:

The masks were removed and here is the result:

2491.jpg

2492.jpg

2494.jpg

2493.jpg

I have mistakenly painted fins with "MM2132+MM1720" color which should have been pure MM2132. But this can be fixed easly:

Serkan

Hi Serkan, nice color 😉 Flanker return's  ! 

• Thanks 1

On 10/19/2021 at 8:43 AM, paulsbrown said:

Looking good Serkan. I'd suggest lighten the darker parts of the vertical stabilizers so there's a bit less contrast. The tails are a tricky area figuring out the five colors along with the fading and light effects.

Thanks for your advices and photos Paul. From these photos I realized that I can also add the wing pylons.

During last 10 days I haven't reported any progress because the sweating/bleeding aged resin problem happened again. Somehow I used an old tail stinger casted with aged resin:

2524.jpg

To calm down a bit I decided to make a parallel build. 20 years ago I had started to build another 701 based on Italeri "Sea Flanker" kit. The box art and the early build stages (scanned from 20 years old photos):

2504.jpg

2505.jpg

And here are the modifications I did recently :

The model was first intended to use only for the camo pattern demonstrator hence the kit has a long list of inaccuracies and defects. But I decided to give a chance to this kit and did some modification to improve the model. The canard shoulders were reshaped based on Su-33 shape:

2516.jpg

The camo patterns were marked on the model:

2517.jpg

2518.jpg

The cockpit tub was replaced with resin one:

2519.jpg

2520.jpg

2521.jpg

More pictures will follow...

Serkan

• Like 2

Further improvements on Italeri kit: The nose cone, canards, wingtip launchers, vertical fins and tail boom were replaced with Revell/Zvezda and resin casted parts:

2522.jpg

2523.jpg

2506.jpg

Here is the comparison of Italeri (left) and Revell/Zvezda (right) conversions:

2507.jpg

A final check of the surface quality:

2508.jpg

2509.jpg

Opps!.. I forgot to add IRST. It was donated from Revell/Zvezda spare parts:

2510.jpg

Now the model is ready to prime and paint:

2511.jpg

2512.jpg

2513.jpg

Serkan

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Hook said:

Nice! Shades look great.

Cheers,

Andre

Thanks Andre,

I replaced and repainted the tail boom of original build:

2525.jpg

2526.jpg

2527.jpg

Now both conversions are ready  for adding details such as painting nose cone and panels with white, the wheel bays in gray etc...

Serkan

• Like 5