Any Chance Airfix would do a 1/48 Scimitar???

Corvi

3 hours ago, RichG said:

wonder why there hasn't been any firms emerge in India (as far as I know). Particularly given the provision of things like injection moulding services for the likes of Airfix

Going by the quality of mouldings coming from India for Airfix, their Quality Control needs drastic review. So many of Airfix' mouldings have been short shot on recent releases.

• Like 1

On 15/10/2021 at 19:30, Vlamgat9 said:

A Marut in any scale would be very cool

I would love to see a Murat in 1/72 scale, it’s a lovely and different  looking aircraft. But we won’t be seeing it from Airfix !

Wulfman

• Haha 1

• Mike changed the title to Any Chance Airfix would do a 1/48 Scimitar???

It's a shame the 1/48 Dynavector vacform Scimitar is out of production? because if combined with what the 3D printer gurus have shown us here on BM, a great model of the Scimitar would be possible.

CJP

Edited by CJP
text
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, mackem01 said:

Anyone know where the Dynavector tooling ended up?

Dynavector, I think. Still trading, just not making kits anymore, mostly phono cartridges. For a listing of kits, with photos, hidden amongst the non-modelling products, see   https://www.dynavector.com/sitemap.html .

Paul.

• Like 1

On 10/13/2021 at 2:59 PM, John B (Sc) said:

A 'niche' aircraft indeed but a very impressive one.

It's not an aircraft aircraft I am very familiar with, and it seems to have a number of detractors, but I certainly agree it does look like an impressively large and powerful aircraft, particularly with underwing stores on board. It served in multiple FAA squadrons leading to its use on 5 aircraft carriers and pioneered "blown" flying surfaces to reduce landing speeds. I personally think it deserves to sit alongside it's contemporaries in plastic kit form. I really hope Airfix will give it some consideration.

Rich 

• Like 4

So do I, Rich - but I’m not holding my breath!

Still “generally accepted internet wisdom” is that helicopters don’t sell - but that hasn’t stopped Airfix from producing a decent Sea King HAR3 / HC4 kit in recent years.  Wrong scale for my collection (not to mention no ASW version: boo!), but credit where credit’s due.

Not wishing to steal this thread *own trumpet blowing commences* but here's the Scratchaeronautics full resin Scimitar I made :) I 3D printed a few extra bits! 

Personally, I would sooner see a Fairey Gannet and DH Sea Venom from Airfix than a Scimitar... 

• Like 1

On 10/23/2021 at 12:44 PM, RichG said:

It's not an aircraft aircraft I am very familiar with, and it seems to have a number of detractors, but I certainly agree it does look like an impressively large and powerful aircraft, particularly with underwing stores on board. It served in multiple FAA squadrons leading to its use on 5 aircraft carriers and pioneered "blown" flying surfaces to reduce landing speeds. I personally think it deserves to sit alongside it's contemporaries in plastic kit form. I really hope Airfix will give it some consideration.

Rich 

The Scimitar was indeed one of the first types to use blown flaps but not sure if the word pioneer is correct, as the concept had been tested earlier by a number of organisations, including the RAE, and by the time of the Scimitar first flight the system had been in use for a couple of years on the F-104

On 22/10/2021 at 23:12, CJP said:

It's a shame the 1/48 Dynavector vacform Scimitar is out of production? because if combined with what the 3D printer gurus have shown us here on BM, a great model of the Scimitar would be possible.

CJP

Well if someone needed a 1/48 Dynavector Scimitar to assist in a workable 3d printer project I know where to find one :whistle:

Would that scale up to 1/32 even??

43 minutes ago, Bertie Psmith said:

I'm astounded that the F-104 predates the Scimitar.

It tells a lot about the pace of progress in aircraft design in the '50s, although in fairness the Scimitar was the result of a number of projects starting in 1949. Progress was such that a delay of a couple of years could easily mean falling way behind the competition. The Scimitar entered service in 1958, the Buccaneer that replaced it entered in service only 4 years later. A number of USN types of the era had even shorter careers...

What always impresses me is that only 3 years after the Scimitar entered FAA service, the USN received the first operational F-4Bs, an aircraft that was so much superior to types that had entered service only 2-4 years before. It would then take way longer to see the replacement for the Phantoms entering services in the many air forces that used the type...

Edited by Giorgio N
  • Like 4

14 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Still “generally accepted internet wisdom” is that helicopters don’t sell 

I don't doubt they're rather unloved compared to fixed wing aircraft, but I find it interesting that the Italeri range of 1/48 Wessex kits (released 2012-2014) has been sold out for a long time and so presumably returned them a profit.

Jon (waiting for a re-release)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Giorgio N said:

It tells a lot about the pace of progress in aircraft design in the '50s, although in fairness the Scimitar was the result of a number of projects starting in 1949. Progress was such that a delay of a couple of years could easily mean falling way behind the competition. The Scimitar entered service in 1958, the Buccaneer that replaced it entered in service only 4 years later. A number of USN types of the era had even shorter careers...

What always impresses me is that only 3 years after the Scimitar entered FAA service, the USN received the first operational F-4Bs, an aircraft that was so much superior to types that had entered service only 2-4 years before. It would then take way longer to see the replacement for the Phantoms entering services in the many air forces that used the type...

The Scimitar essentially owed its existence to the short-lived (but seriously considered, however bonkers it looks to us now) “flexible deck” project, so it’s hardly surprising that it went through quite a few iterations before coming into service.  Besides, it was hardly alone in the chaotic UK aeronautical industry of the 50s; the DH110 / Sea Vixen was hardly a seamless or rapid progress from drawing board to carrier deck, and the Swift took about 4 Marks before it became remotely viable as a front line machine (arguably it never really made it, certainly in the role for which originally designed).  As you say, Giorgio, a lot of this was down to the huge speed of advance in aeronautics / technology - plus the fact that the UK sector was a mess at the time.

It’s possible to describe the Canberra, the Hunter and arguably the Lightning as genuine success stories (though export sales of the latter were minimal). But not much else until we started collaborating with others (e.g. Tornado, Typhoon, Lynx, Merlin) or adapting US designs (Toom, Sea King).

• Like 3

On 10/26/2021 at 9:29 AM, Jon Bryon said:

I don't doubt they're rather unloved compared to fixed wing aircraft, but I find it interesting that the Italeri range of 1/48 Wessex kits (released 2012-2014) has been sold out for a long time and so presumably returned them a profit.

Jon (waiting for a re-release)

No complaints from me; the Airfix 1/48 Lynx series (and Revell 1/32 equivalents) seem to have done well, too.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...