Tinting modern aircraft canopies (without airbrush)

drake122

Greetings,

I would like to ask for advice.

I am looking to build a Su-35S fighter jet and according to reference material, all of them have a dark/gold tinted canopy. What would be the best way to reproduce this without using an airbrush? I have looked up various tutorials, and tried Tamiya Smoke from a spray can on some junk canopies, but my results seem less than satisfactory. The finish is often "grainy", despite me shaking the rattle can properly and also warming it up using warm water. I apply thin mist coats and build up the paint slowly.  Using polishing compounds after each layer seems to reduce the grainy effect, but also knocks back the tint somewhat.

What are some other methods to achieve this effect? Alternatively, if there is an aftermarket pre-tinted canopy, I would just buy that.🤣

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

There are metal powders you could use (think graphite powder, or alu fingerprinting powder)

Not sure about a goldish colour though

Found some:

https://www.sirchie.com/catalog/product/view/id/13/?___store=international_english#.YWXmalNyY0E

Or this maybe?

https://www.amazon.com/AMACO-Metallic-Finish-Antique-0-5-Fluid/dp/B00081HYDM?ref_=d6k_applink_bb_marketplace

Edited by Bozothenutter
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, drake122 said:

Greetings,

I would like to ask for advice.

I am looking to build a Su-35S fighter jet and according to reference material, all of them have a dark/gold tinted canopy. What would be the best way to reproduce this without using an airbrush? I have looked up various tutorials, and tried Tamiya Smoke from a spray can on some junk canopies, but my results seem less than satisfactory. The finish is often "grainy", despite me shaking the rattle can properly and also warming it up using warm water. I apply thin mist coats and build up the paint slowly.  Using polishing compounds after each layer seems to reduce the grainy effect, but also knocks back the tint somewhat.

What are some other methods to achieve this effect? Alternatively, if there is an aftermarket pre-tinted canopy, I would just buy that.🤣

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

I think a spray can would be a bad option as it would be too difficult as unlike a double action airbrush you cannot regualte the vloume of paint or the airflow.  Also you did not mention but I would spray the inside of the canopy as the grainy effect would be less pronounced. In your case I would suggest dipping the canopy in a clear varnish that you have added food  colouring to. I am not sure if you have access to Future or equivalent but ideally find the tint mixture that suits by experimenting with clear sprue. A mix of clear with a liquid yellow food colouring may work but you would need to ensure that the colouring was mixed thoroughly to avoid streaks

Pappy

• Thanks 1

Thanks for all the tips.

I did spray the inside of the canopy, and also dipped in a Future equivalent, the shine is restored, but it is still uneven coverage from the rattlecan and visibly so.

I prefer not dipping canopies at all if it can be avoided, as I often have problems masking over them, etc. I usually brush paint a layer of future on and use gravity to spread it thinly and evenly. 

Anyway, the metallic wax seems like a cool idea, I have raided an artist shop for some and will experiment. I have also bought a bunch of metallic gold sharpies, I've heard covering the clear part with sharpie and removing excess immediately with a cotton bud can produce nice results.

If all else fails, I will just brush paint clear gloss varnish with a few drops on gold mixed in. Or food coloring🤷‍♂️

2 hours ago, Selwyn said:

I have had some success dipping my canopy in future with a few drops of yellow food colouring added  to tint the future.

Selwyn

4 hours ago, Pappy said:

I think a spray can would be a bad option as it would be too difficult as unlike a double action airbrush you cannot regualte the vloume of paint or the airflow.  Also you did not mention but I would spray the inside of the canopy as the grainy effect would be less pronounced. In your case I would suggest dipping the canopy in a clear varnish that you have added food  colouring to. I am not sure if you have access to Future or equivalent but ideally find the tint mixture that suits by experimenting with clear sprue. A mix of clear with a liquid yellow food colouring may work but you would need to ensure that the colouring was mixed thoroughly to avoid streaks

Pappy

15 hours ago, Bozothenutter said:

There are metal powders you could use (think graphite powder, or alu fingerprinting powder)

Not sure about a goldish colour though

Found some:

https://www.sirchie.com/catalog/product/view/id/13/?___store=international_english#.YWXmalNyY0E

Or this maybe?

https://www.amazon.com/AMACO-Metallic-Finish-Antique-0-5-Fluid/dp/B00081HYDM?ref_=d6k_applink_bb_marketplace

5 hours ago, Selwyn said:

I have had some success dipping my canopy in future with a few drops of yellow food colouring added  to tint the future.

Selwyn

I'd give another vote for Selwyn's suggestion of Future and food colouring. I've had good results with this technique and, if you don't like it, you can strip back with window cleaner

Chris

• Like 1

I darkened the window parts of this Ferrari by dipping in Future with some Tamiya 'Smoke' added

Ferrari%2C%2009s-S.jpg

and the canopy on this F-16 was done the same way

F-16%20Thunderbirds%2C%2021s-L.jpg

They're not the best jobs, I could have done better on them

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hallo

Before tinting:

Do you have reliable literature about the tint of an operative a/c, no matter whichtype?

Why do I ask that way?

Because glass or even other new materials get tinted by age.

So, let us ask the question that way: What was the tinting on an operative F-4 and a/c onward?

This is the matter we all should focus before getting in action for tinting.

Even with airbrush.

Some time ago; I wrote this.

Maybe anyone has some ideas to add!

Happy modelling

On 10/28/2021 at 3:37 PM, dov said:

Hallo

Before tinting:

Do you have reliable literature about the tint of an operative a/c, no matter whichtype?

Why do I ask that way?

Because glass or even other new materials get tinted by age.

So, let us ask the question that way: What was the tinting on an operative F-4 and a/c onward?

This is the matter we all should focus before getting in action for tinting.

Even with airbrush.

Some time ago; I wrote this.

Maybe anyone has some ideas to add!

Happy modelling

I was referring to modern Su-35S canopies, which are only few years in use and definitely tinted by design, not by 'age'.

• Like 1

Yes, you are right. 

I just wanted to open your all mind, to be critical what you see.

Intended tinting on operative a/c is one thing, tinting on museum a/c indoor and outdoor is a different thing.

Happy modelling