First build in new " Cave "

Andy J

18 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

I know the feeling!!

Glad to hear the Delta didn't bite the dust and I'm sure it'll turn out great!! 👍

Keith

Of course the decision to continue was mine as I've said before I'm the boss in this household.......well when Mrs J is out anyway 🙂😉👍

• Haha 2

So having made the decision to continue with the build and after a bit of stretching and heating of the plastic i managed to get the shell ready for primer. It's not perfect and there may be issues later in the build but for now I'm happy with it 

spacer.png

The surface of the shell was also rough so I gave it a slight polish with 7000 wet and dry before the next stage. Now I know a lot of people like to scuff up the surface a little before primer to give the paint something to adhere to well imo at this scale it just isn't necessary. Anyway with a super smooth shell I applied the first coat of primer which in this case was the Tamiya primer i decanted the other day 

spacer.png

After using 5000 and 7000 paper which I always do I have to say there is no benefit imo to using the Tamiya primer infact it must be the smelliest paint I've ever come across 🙄. With the Tamiya experiment out of the way I switched back to my regular primer Mr Surfacer 1500 and applied a couple of light coats until I was happy with the results. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

Now I'm happy with the primer I will leave the shell overnight and then hit it with 7000 paper tomorrow ready for the basecoat. The basecoat will be here tomorrow from Hiroboy and its the correct paint for the car which is actually called Madas pearlescent blue metallic so hopefully I'll get that applied soon. Regardless of the final outcome the one thing I can say is its great to be back playing with the plastic again 😉. Thanks for looking back soon 🙂👍

• Like 14

Looking good matey!!

Have to admit I'm getting lazy in my old age - I've just reprimed the 'lost' Cayman shell I found a week or so back and just used Hycote car primer straight out of the can - warmed it up before shaking it to death and fitted it with a small Tamiya nozzle. I honestly can't see any difference between it and when I airbrush Mr. Surfacer (although that may be more of a statement of my airbrushing 'skils'....!! 🤣)

Keith

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, keefr22 said:

Looking good matey!!

Have to admit I'm getting lazy in my old age - I've just reprimed the 'lost' Cayman shell I found a week or so back and just used Hycote car primer straight out of the can - warmed it up before shaking it to death and fitted it with a small Tamiya nozzle. I honestly can't see any difference between it and when I airbrush Mr. Surfacer (although that may be more of a statement of my airbrushing 'skils'....!! 🤣)

Keith

I don't suppose it matters really Keith how you apply the paint as long as your happy with the end result. Tbf i wasted time decanting the Tamiya primer when infact I could have just sprayed it out of the can !! I simply prefer the airbrush but I can understand why people would use rattle can's 🙂👍

• Like 1

Hi Andy,

I'll be honest, I can't face the faff (and mess) of decanting paint from an aerosol, so if I have a can of paint, I'll just spray from the can.

I did this the other day on my Jaguar XJR9 (I think that's what it's called), and I think that it came out pretty good...

Cheers,

Alan.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Alan R said:

Hi Andy,

I'll be honest, I can't face the faff (and mess) of decanting paint from an aerosol, so if I have a can of paint, I'll just spray from the can.

I did this the other day on my Jaguar XJR9 (I think that's what it's called), and I think that it came out pretty good...

Cheers,

Alan.

I absolutely agree Alan it was something I wanted to try out and now I've tried it i wouldn't bother doing it again. Like you I would simply spray it out of the can 🙂👍

• Like 1

So the Madas Blue paint arrived this morning from Hiroboy and I've applied it to the shell. It took many light coats of the paint to obtain good coverage and although I'm happy with the way the paint went down I'm a little unsure about the colour 🤔. Now I realise that this paint requires a gloss coat but there's gonna have to be a minor miracle unfold imo for this paint to achieve the final blue colour required. It simply looks like metallic grey to me but I'll keep my powder dry till the gloss coat is applied. Here's a few pic's of today's progress 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Let me know your thoughts though tbh I can now begin to see a blue tint to the colour so maybe my doubts are unfounded. Thanks for looking back soon 🙂👍

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

This apparently is Blu Lagos Andy, looks much bluer to my old eyes.....

734b958e69818d5afa46064f18b1c350.jpg

K

I agree Keith though I'm at a loss as to what to do about it atm 🙄. Any ideas mate 🤔👍

Well I know you said you didn't want to decant again, but maybe decant that Tamiya blue & lightly blow it over. I know it won't be pearl but you could always use a pearl clearcoat? 

Or have you got a scrap body to spray in that madas blue and see if a gloss coat does darken it significantly?

Last suggestion - to me the real car looks closer to Subaru Mica Blue than that Zero paint - got any of that? I know it won't be 'right', but I don't think it is now....

K

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Well I know you said you didn't want to decant again, but maybe decant that Tamiya blue & lightly blow it over. I know it won't be pearl but you could always use a pearl clearcoat? 

Or have you got a scrap body to spray in that madas blue and see if a gloss coat does darken it significantly?

Last suggestion - the real car looks closer to Subaru Mica Blue than that Zero paint - got any of that? I know it won't be 'right', but I don't think it is now....

K

Thanks for the suggestions Keith much appreciated 👍. So I have a plan related to your comment above 🙂. First off I have to change the colour its simply not blue lord knows what hiroboy mixed up but I'm not impressed 🤨. So I will lightly sand the shell hit it with some white primer and I've found some Imprezza World Rally Blue more than enough for this shell. It won't be politically correct but it should look a damn sight better than it does now 🙂👍

• Like 4

Got to agree with you both that the paint definitely looks greyer than it should do. But, just a thought - is that because you used a grey primer? Some colours, particularly metallics (although yellow and red are much worse offenders than blue) can be really affected by the colour of the primer underneath. If you have some plastic spoons, perhaps try white primer on those followed by the Zero paint?

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Spiny said:

Got to agree with you both that the paint definitely looks greyer than it should do. But, just a thought - is that because you used a grey primer? Some colours, particularly metallics (although yellow and red are much worse offenders than blue) can be really affected by the colour of the primer underneath. If you have some plastic spoons, perhaps try white primer on those followed by the Zero paint?

That my freind is a great idea and well worth a try 😉. Top man Spiny thanks 🙂👍

Worth a try indeed, but personally I don't see it working (although I'd love to be proven wrong!) -I've sprayed quite a few blue metallic cars and always used grey primer. Only time I've used white under blue is under lighter ones like Gulf blue or Ford Olympic blue.

Really hope Spiny has come up with a solution though!

K

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Worth a try indeed, but personally I don't see it working (although I'd love to be proven wrong!) -I've sprayed quite a few blue metallic cars and always used grey primer. Only time I've used white under blue is under lighter ones like Gulf blue or Ford Olympic blue.

Really hope Spiny has come up with a solution though!

K

The only reason I think it might work Keith is because the Madas Blue is a pearlescent paint and is definitely Blue in the jar albeit it's a very thin paint if you know what I mean 🤔

• Like 2

Fingers crossed! 

Being pearl shouldn't make any difference though as it's just the size of the mettalic flakes - maybe Zero thinned it too much?

If you haven't done the spoon test yet, what about spraying one with grey primer and double the number of coats you've put on the body to see if that makes a difference, if it does you might get away with having to re-prime it in white?

K

• Like 1

Oooooo I like this, I hope you get the paint issues sorted Andy as would live to see this progress.

My uncle had one and took me for a spin in it and was absolutely amazing compared to my 1500 and 1600 Deltas .  I loved the ride in the Integrali although it was un nerving sitting out towards oncoming traffic under hard acceleration without the controls in front of me!!! Lovely car which was written off a few months later after after someone pulled out in front of it! What a shame. 

Good luck with your build

Chris

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Oooooo I like this, I hope you get the paint issues sorted Andy as would live to see this progress.

My uncle had one and took me for a spin in it and was absolutely amazing compared to my 1500 and 1600 Deltas .  I loved the ride in the Integrali although it was un nerving sitting out towards oncoming traffic under hard acceleration without the controls in front of me!!! Lovely car which was written off a few months later after after someone pulled out in front of it! What a shame. 

Good luck with your build

Chris

Thanks Chris I have many more Delta's in the stash mate mainly rally cars but I intend to build them all 🙂👍

• Like 1

So I've done some further research and based on the information I've found I'm going to leave the Delta in the Madas Blue. Infact I'm going to base this build on the car below 

spacer.png

So no yellow stripes infact no stripes at all and this Delta is painted in Madas Blue which it turns out is a very rare colour. This pic on the zero paints jar is misleading imo and is absolutely nothing like the colour of the contents 

spacer.png

So right or wrong that's my plan which means less hassle for me and hopefully when finished I will end up with a good looking Delta. Another reason for this decision is that the Madas Blue paint went down really well and it would be a shame imo to mess with it. Thanks for looking back soon 🙂👍

• Like 12

It'll still look great Andy, no doubt about that!! 👍

I'm never precious about painting my road cars in 'factory' colours tbh, just paint them as I would if I had the money to own them in real life! I was going to say it makes life easier, but then I spent an hour or so this afternoon going through all my paint stocks trying to choose a colour for the Cayman - and still haven't decided! 🤣

K

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

22 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

It'll still look great Andy, no doubt about that!! 👍

I'm never precious about painting my road cars in 'factory' colours tbh, just paint them as I would if I had the money to own them in real life! I was going to say it makes life easier, but then I spent an hour or so this afternoon going through all my paint stocks trying to choose a colour for the Cayman - and still haven't decided! 🤣

K

Thing is Keith I have no idea just what colour I'll end up with until the clear coat is applied I'm hoping it's something like the pic above but what will be will be 🙂👍

• Like 1

So a new update on the Delta build and today I decided to work on the chassis, suspension etc rather than the shell due to having to take the car for it's MOT 🙄 and other life chores that needed taking care of. Although my day has been full of interruptions I have managed to complete the chassis though tbh there wasn't actually that much work involved. 

spacer.png

So I now have a choice between the interior or the shell although I'd rather finish the shell first if possible just to see what final colour i end up with. Thanks for looking back soon 🙂👍

• Like 11